1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Newbie... Have a question.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by rvijay, Sep 25, 2012.

1. rvijay

rvijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I am a proud owner of a new Prius V5. I've been driving it for a week now and I am quite impressed. I felt like this car was specifically built for my work commute (stop and go traffic with about a 100 lights in between ...).

I have a question though. Whenever, I start the car and switch gears (P -> R for backing out of the driveway and then R->D later), I see the yellow "car skidding" icon coming up on the dashboard. For example, it shows up when I apply the brake and stop the car prior to switching from R->D. It goes away once I slightly press the gas pedal and the car starts moving. Is this something that is normal for Prius, or should I talk to my car dealer right away? Also, it never shows up later during my trip (even when I am stopped). Appreciate any insight/help.

Thanks,
    Vijay.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like you are pressing the brakes too hard and enabling the Hill Start Assist feature. Try being a little lighter on the brakes.

3. rockfeller

rockfeller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome and congratulations on your new Prius.
    Before changing the gear from P->R, is parking break released ?.

4. rvijay

rvijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    jdcollins: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try being easier on the brakes next time and see if it resolves the problem.

rockfeller: I follow the approach suggested in the manual. The parking brake is released only after I change the gear from P->R (just prior to releasing the regular brake).

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are engaging Hill Assist. Read about it so you know how to use it on a hill in traffic so it doesn't roll backward.

6. rvijay

rvijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks folks ... It apparently was the Hill Assist feature. Learnt a new thing about my Prius today ...