1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Newbie Wiring Mistake?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nwcurt, Nov 28, 2014.

1. nwcurt

nwcurt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New to the Prius and to PriusChat. What a fantastic site! Thanks to all that have contributed. It was absolutely a factor in me buying my Prius. Love it so far (2 weeks), but might have messed up bad today.

Hoping somebody can help me (or at least reassure me that I didn't kill my new car :)

2005 Prius. Like many, one of the first things I went to figure out was how to get my phone connected to the stereo. I opted for the iSimple FM Modulator because I got a great deal on it and the installation appeared to be super simple.

Opened up the dash pretty easily. Pulled the stereo with no problems. Antenna install is as easy as it gets. The only wiring was to the 12v accessory line. I clipped those and T'd in the iSimple. Went to test it (it charged my phone just fine), but couldn't test the FM audio stuff because my MFD is now dead! Nothing. No splash screen. No warnings. Just nothing.

I've been digging around for a few hours trying to figure it out. Checked a couple fuses and they look fine. The car runs and the dash display all works, but the MFD and small dash clock are lights out.

I thought maybe it had something to do with my iSimple setup, so I pulled the entire thing. Re-connected the 12v wires and it looks like it did before I ever started. Still no MFD.

Ideas? Thoughts? Is there some kind of magic reset button I don't know about? None of the MFD physical buttons work. No climate control. No audio. No display. No info.

Any help is very much appreciated!!

2. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Double check the 7.5 amp fuse underneath the driver's side of the dash labeled "ACC". Both the MFD & the radio are powered through that fuse. Even if the fuse looks OK, I would swap it with one of the spare fuses, then recheck for MFD for functionality.

#2 Epiphany2000, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check the fuses under the hood. The 12v wire for my headunit came out of the connector (poor crimping job on my part) and shorted to ground, blowing the fuse. Ended up being one under the hood. Can't remember if the MFD stopped working along with it, but the power locks didn't work.

4. nwcurt

nwcurt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was it! Thanks a ton. I thought I'd swapped out some fuses and had no luck, but it turns out I was using the fuse map from the manual, which does not match the car. Looked for the fuse Epiphany recommended on the actual fuse box and it worked! All is well again. Of course, the fuses I bought were the wrong kind so I had to steal one from my OBD, but at least I know what the problem is.

Now to go brave the iSimple install again :)

I owe you both a drink!

Epiphany2000 likes this.
  5. nwcurt

nwcurt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    iPhone setup works perfectly. Happy Prius owner. Thanks again!