1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius noise sometimes when pressing brake

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oateater, Oct 25, 2018.

1. oateater

oateater New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I just bought this 2015 prius for $17K a few weeks ago and I noticed a noise (from day 1) when I press on the brake pedal sometimes (when the vehicle is on or off, either way it makes this sound on occasion).

I made a video (mp4) demonstrating what I'm concerned about. I am linking it to my google drive.

The dealership says "oh, that's just the normal sound a prius makes." OK..... but, what is it coming from? Is it actually normal? And what is causing it?

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Normal actuator noise

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The act of opening the driver's door will usually trigger a brake pressurizing, which goes on for maybe 5 seconds. Just the first time. It's hard to tell from the video what's going on: the noise is very faint, it's just after opening/closing the driver's door, and the video's really short: do a second video, after sitting in the car a minute, and press/release the the brake pedal several times while recording.

There is an abnormal noise that can happen, when one of the brake components on the other side of the firewall is starting to fail. It's a sort of grunt sound, just as the car's stopping. There's a warranty enhancement happening on that. Not sure of the VIN range; 2015's might actually be ok, not sure.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the normal sound of the brake accumulator pump charging the system. Prius brakes use an electric drive for the hydraulic brakes, air conditioners, etc. No belts, which is how you can sit at a light with the engine off and still have all the usually belt driven systems working.

5. Mithrandrost

Mithrandrost Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  6. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II