1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius -- not a car for the fragile male ego

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DougSlug, May 28, 2006.

1. spayer

spayer New Member

I've only had my Prius for two days now. In a crowded parking lot in Columbia, MD I did pass another Prius driven by a female.

I'm afraid to say I felt the urge to ummmm, errrr... wave! :) I controlled myself given the fact that my wife and daughter were also in the car. Upon coming to a stop I did over hear a pedestrian, female, yelling to her boyfriend "there goes one of those electric cars".

So my analysis so far is this. I say the vehicle is good for the ego.... Although I believe, in my area, that the vehicle is 50/50 as for gender ownership, never in the 10 years that I drove my Subaru Outback did I ever catch the attention of a female onlooker. Albeit the attention was more towards the vehicle then the driver, nonetheless, it was attention!

2. kDB

kDB New Member

everyone i know loves my car. when they first seen it they tried to make fun of me, but after they rode in it, they changed their minds quick. also, i'm 26 and single, and every girl i know loves the car. chick car? maybe chick magnet :)

3. j24816

j24816 New Member

I am sure GM would like this rumor to hold.

[/quote]
    ...Not that there's anything wrong with that...
    [/quote]

It seems to be a concern of yours......

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ May 28 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]262169[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know, maybe a Prius is a "chick magnet"- but the "chicks" who are attracted by a guy driving a Prius are certainly more intelligent and less frivolous than the "chicks" who would be attracted by a guy in a Corvette or an Escalade!

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spayer @ May 28 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]262162[/snapback]</div>
    Why is it that almost everybody assumes my electric car is a hybrid?
    And why is it that amost everybody asks what kind of mileage my plug-in car gets?

Around these parts I see about 50/50 mix of genders driving. It is almost the non-Prius drivers who are in the minority these days.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In this particular aread, Navy nukes (M), NASA engineers (M), several docotrs of both sexes, road warriors of both sexes. I'd say slightly male-predominant.

All brilliant analysts though... :lol:

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spayer @ May 28 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]262162[/snapback]</div>
    Um :mellow: , well <_< . . . GULP :blink: . . . How do I say this gently???? :unsure: :unsure:

What you said makes total sense . . . once you realize Subaru Outbacks are very popular lesbian cars. :eek:

OMG! You went from a lesmobile to a chick car. Is your genitalia still attached? :lol: :lol: :lol:

From first hand experience, I fully believe the Prius is a chick magnet. I can also attest that here in Northern California the M/F ratio is about 50/50. [no statistical adjustments were attempted to account for sexual orientation of the drivers.]

8. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

In California, the majority of Priuses I've seen were driven by men, but specifically they were driven by old men. Tons of old couples in Priuses. Civic Hybrids, on the other hand, had much younger drivers as a whole.

9. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Potential Buyer @ May 29 2006, 05:30 AM) [snapback]262312[/snapback]</div>
    Ahem. <_< How are you defining an old man?

10. routeonedog

routeonedog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 29 2006, 01:53 AM) [snapback]262282[/snapback]</div>
    OMG...............My wife drives an Outback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

When we bought it we thought that it was the offical State car of Maine since we saw
    so many of them up there.

It wasn't until I was talking to a friend that also has a place in Maine that she told me
    that it was a "lesbian" car. Then I realised that most of the people we saw driving it in
    ME were women.

11. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paflyfisher @ May 29 2006, 06:26 AM) [snapback]262313[/snapback]</div>
    And be careful how you answer! :)

Our Prius is driven about 50/50 between my wife and me locally, and I drove it more on the one long trip we've taken in it.

In the I-95/395 HOV lanes, my general impression is 50/50, but to tell you the truth, I haven't paid much attention.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I didn't know about the lesbian stereotyping of the Outback. It certainly has a well deserved reputation as a snow car; and locally it seems a pretty good predictor of political orientation. I don't think I have *ever* seen a shrub bumper sticker on one.

I remember seeing a demographic a couple of years ago that Subaru published. Typical owners are college grads, and average income of 80K. Similar in many ways to the Prius base, if one excludes neo-cons.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've seen both male and female Prius drivers.

Back in January 2005 (when I was renting one), someone told me the Prius wasn't a guy's car. To them Prius=tree hugger=gay. That's the only person I've known that said that to me. The others think it's cool.

14. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Personally, I feel totally cool driving the Prius. Probably more so than any other car I've owned. Not sure if this feeling will wear off over the course of time, but I doubt it. We have had BMW's and MBZ's as well, and always felt somewhat vulnerable driving around in them.

15. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Off the showroom floor, I'd say she's more of a chick car (indeed, a chick herself), though driving her is no threat to my manhood. But put a few thousand into her for mods, and the testosterone should flow! See DocVijay's threads for instructions. I'd do it myself if I was young and dumb (said with all due respect, Vijay) again -- and free of alimony and child support! Boys and their toys.... :D

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Around Colorado, there are plenty of men that own them. But, yes, watch out, your wife may steal yours!

Nate

17. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 28 2006, 09:37 PM) [snapback]262189[/snapback]</div>
    Now we have to decide if that is a plus or a minus. :blink:

18. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ May 29 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]262421[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on what you're looking for. I'd say it is a plus, if someone were just looking for "eye candy" they probably wouldn't have gotten a Prius in the first place. B)

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far my prius hasn't been a chick magnet per se, other than maybe
    garnering the same sort of interest about the concept in females and
    males alike, but as far as my fragile male ego ... heh. When I'm out
    tooling around working my average above 60, I'm certainly mixing it
    up with the ricers and rodders and harleys ... all out there deriving
    enjoyment from our respective vehicles, but with a very different
    purpose in my case. Their objective by and large is to zoom around
    and make noise. I could point out to them how electric-only drive
    would be just the thing for "cruising the strip", but it would
    probably be a fairly futile effort...
    _H*

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

You can't make an assumption about the demographic of a particular vehicle from a limited sample of people you know. If someone was attempting to determine who drives Priuses, and happened to find a few of the posts on PriusChat, that person might conclude that the average Prius driver is a right-wing homophobic bigot.