1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius -- not a car for the fragile male ego

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DougSlug, May 28, 2006.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Gee Michael, at least give them credit for being intelligent. By design.

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 29 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]262507[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Djsight

Djsight New Member

I ve always felt that cars are for the groceries. I traded in a lexus sc300 for the prius (not exactly a similar vehicle). Maybe because Im not really counting on a car to get me laid, or that I havent had a problem with that area that Im not concerned as if my car is driven more by women.

The Jerkies that think their car is fast, I wave at when I pass them on my motorcycle.

But would you other Prius people please wave back when I do, its getting kinda laim when you leave me hangin like that. Maybe you all need to drive a bike first, to understand the cult aspect of riding a paticular vehicle.

4. Subversive

Subversive New Member

The Prius is a "gadget" car, and I think gadgets are stereotypically more of a male thing. But the economics and environmentally positivity of it, and maybe the hatchback, I suppose those could aspects might be more stereotypically appealing to women than men. So I would call it a unisex vehicle.

5. Mauibound

Mauibound New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(routeonedog @ May 29 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]262322[/snapback]</div>
    Now this whole Subaru thing really depends on where you live. In California, it is definitely a lesbian car. Pretty much everybody knows that, at least in socal. However, I then lived in the Northeast for a few years and saw Subarus all over the place. Legendary snow driving without having to be in a SUV. Definitely not a "lesbian car" in the Northeast.

6. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JasonCon @ May 30 2006, 02:04 AM) [snapback]262647[/snapback]</div>
    Thats right. The middle-aged lesbian car of choice in the northeast is the Honda Element

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ May 28 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]262020[/snapback]</div>
    But then again, most SUVs these days are driven by women. Does that mean SUVs are "chick cars"?

My wife and I both have Priuses. Her complaint is that she sees mainly old men driving Priuses.

8. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 28 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]262143[/snapback]</div>
    I have to agree with Salsawonder. Not so much a gender difference as an age difference. I've seen plenty of Prius drivers with grey or silver hair.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ May 30 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]262689[/snapback]</div>
    I live in the northeast, used to own a Honda Element, and almost every other Element I saw on the road was driven by a male (I could make a wise crack about why would lesbians drive a car that doesn't have carpets, but I won't :) )

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

A question for any right wing or religious bigot --
    I quite obviously am not a lesbian, but will my outback at least project an image of support ?

That would be wonderful.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 30 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]262753[/snapback]</div>
    In all seriousness (my last post was, I admit, flippant), if in fact the demographic of Subaru Outback drivers is any more gay and lesbian than any other vehicle (I don't know if it is, or if the evidence suggesting it is any more than anecdotal) it is likely because Subaru has long expressed a corporate philosophy of support for the gay and lesbian community, and they directed advertising specifically toward gays and lesbians before it was fashionable for other companies to do so. While I'm sure they realized that it was good business to go after a market that corporations had largely ignored, I'm sure it reflects an enlightened attitude of the people who run the company. It also did cause them some backlash a few years from the wingnut groups like "Concerned Women of America"- similar to the recent threatened boycott against Ford. I'm sure that some gay and lesbian Subaru owners might have based their buying decision on Subaru's favorable posture toward their community.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I guess I don't watch enough TV, or read the right ads. All I knew was that Subaru supported the US ski team. Actually, I used to browse the magazine that Subaru sends out to its customers, and I never realized they gave corporate support to the gay community.

GOOD FOR THEM.

It does support my impression that a bedrock customer demographic for the company are well educated liberals.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think that a guy calling the Prius a "chick car" is due to a lack of other things they can say negative about the car. This makes them have to go for intangible and unprovable personal insults. As an analogy, I think of the attorney who knows his defendant is screwed and chooses to personally attack the plaintiff's witnesses thereby creating an intangible and unprovable speculation allowing his client to be released to hunt the actual killer. Not that anyone would actually attempt such an underhanded and obvious manuever in an American court of law.

Also, I am reminded of the Volkswagon commercial currently running in which the owners of more expensive and sportier vehicles are yelling out of their car windows: "Cause daddy never hugged me" and "the more men notice me the more I love myself" and "I'm compensating for my shortcomings." When my wife sees someone in a sports car or huge tricked out SUV, she says, "sorry about your penis." Personally, like the people in the VW commercial, I have nothing to compensate for and therefore I can drive the car I choose.

Oh, that reminds me of a day when I was working at one of our plants. As I was walking past the smokers, one of them made note of my bright yellow shirt saying, "dude, that's got to be the gayest shirt I've ever seen." I looked at him and replied, "at least one of us is comfortable with our sexuality" and never broke stride. Granted, I'd known these guys for years and we rib each other all the time, but the point was clear: I wear what I want because I have no need to present any specific image.

I don't think it's what you drive that's important, it's how you feel when you drive it. They are simply trying to get under your skin to make you feel bad about your decision. Likewise, they have nothing else to make them feel better so they are taking their gas-price, low-MPG frustrations out on the logical, sensible one.

14. LowCO2

LowCO2 New Member

Regardless, you've got to wave to members of the Prius family!

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 28 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]262143[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto that. Around here, it seems that the majority of Prius drivers I see every day tend to be from a more senior-type age group. No offense to anyone here, of course. :D

The youngish folk I've seen driving Priuses (young to me is age 40-looking and younger, though I myself am mid-20's) have been very few and very far between.

16. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 30 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]262837[/snapback]</div>
    That's hilarious but a bit naive and unfair. Sports cars are fun; they're not necessarily about showing off. And when they're bought to compensate for anything, it's age, not penis size. Midlife crises resulting in sports car purchases.

I do think many large SUV and pickup drivers buy them to compensate for a feeling of weakness and vulnerability, be they women or men.

17. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 30 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]262847[/snapback]</div>
    I used to drive a Honda Element, a vehicle that was explicitly marketed to Gen- Y (or Gen-Z; or whatever 20-year olds are called these days) buyers. I found that I, as a 40-something, was one of the youngest Element drivers I encountered. I suspect the reason is the same as for the Prius- both cars are out of the price range of the typical 20-year old.

18. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ May 30 2006, 07:10 AM) [snapback]262693[/snapback]</div>
    At 23 I'm the youngest Prius driver I know. I don't think it's because younger people don't like the Prius (all of my friends love my car!) but just for the fact it's not in their price range

19. Firefighter

Firefighter New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Jun 1 2006, 03:17 AM) [snapback]263919[/snapback]</div>

You are all to young to remember - Liberace, the gaudy piano performer who said;
    People make fun of me all the time and I laugh at them all on my way to the bank. Ed :rolleyes:

20. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

22% of members responding have self-identified as women in our poll, which, I think, has over 200 responses, and certainly a wide geographic coverage.

In the course of separate threads, about half a dozen gay males came forward as owners. I didn't ask them if they had identified themselves in that particular poll as men (or even participated).

Perhaps oddly, no lesbian has stepped forward on PC. Anyone wanna come out?

First and foremost, the Prius is a hybrid.