1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius -- not a car for the fragile male ego

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DougSlug, May 28, 2006.

1. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Two unrelated thoughts on the "fragile male ego" thread:

[1] I did a very, very informal survey of the Prius drivers I saw on our daily commute into DC and back home for a week. Results: 19 male drivers, 7 female drivers, and one person who ... well, I don't know. :)

[2] My wife and I spent some time cleaning out the basement, and last weekend we had a bunch of stuff to go to the landfill. I pulled up to the entrance of the landfill, and there was a long line in front of me, moving slowly. Pick-up trucks, SUVs, cars with trailers ... and me & the Prius. Made me feel like letting loose with a Tim Allen "Tool Time grunt" ... :lol:

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 21 2006, 06:25 AM) [snapback]274607[/snapback]</div>
    There's a thread on this, too, Michael. :p If he's not joking, he's not alone, either.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]274728[/snapback]</div>
    With all due respect, limited, perhaps you should do a little more exploring on the hydrogen issue. And maybe the effects of rampant oil use. :)

4. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Just did a quick check, and I'm not a chick ;)

My 16 year old son thinks its a gay car, but is still willing to learn to drive on it (told him his choice was the prius or his bike).

5. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]274728[/snapback]</div>

Well hey there now we are talking geological science. Your that guy over at Columbia working on Greenhouse Gas Emissions data, polar ice core depletion analysis and global warming scenarios for the next century.
    So I guess with all our oil sand and deep ocean reserves we will be set for our lifetimes and those of our grandchildren. And since CO2 emissions can be controlled in the new standard combustion engines and producing hydrogen will not require the use of fossil fuels we shouldn't concern ourselves with global warming. So we won't need to have an amphibious vehicle when the see levels rise. Hell I need a corporate gas card, I too need my share of the dino juice before I jump into my drycell hydrogen powered car...That flies...over the oceans that are still at the same level as they were way back in 06.
    I should get my information from Exxon.

6. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ May 28 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]262020[/snapback]</div>
    Yes the Prius is a chick car, But the difference between 130 in gas a week and $20 a week is a no brainer if you are not making 6 figures and you have realized there is more fun in doing other things besides tearing of the line or racing in traffic towards the breaklights ahead.
    That 3 - 5 grand a year savings will take you some places to surf manly waves, mountainclimb, or enter a ultimate fighter competition.
    I passed on a Dodge Magnum and Ford 5.3 Liter F-150 for a Prius knowing damn well it is a chick car. But hell I figured driving a car just for the looks and displacement (gas displacing the green in my wallet) would be a pretty dumb thing.

So I chose the Prius (chick car) over the Magnum/Hemi and Ford Truck (Bimbo Cars - unless you need that truck to do business such as haul materials).

7. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I've decided what my comeback will be if any male put down over driving a Prius ever comes up..

I'll just say I know there are a lot of insecure people around that have Prius envy... and my wife commented that my Prius is more than big enough to satisfy her needs...

Maybe also make some reference to the sad cases of the guys driving Escalades and how insecure they must be.. :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

8. mattleb

mattleb Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ Jun 21 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]274925[/snapback]</div>
    Funny story: A couple of days ago I was at a stop next to a jacked up diesel dodge pickup truck. This is the kind of truck that could fit the Prius in the bed. He kept inching up, obviously anxious to get a jump on the light when it turned green. So the light turns green, he "guns" it and takes off. Meanwhile, I decide I need to get into his lane to make the next left turn - I step on it, pass him easily on the right, and stop at the next light in front of him.

My wife almost peed her pants because she was laughing so hard. The guy in the truck looked kind of silly sitting behind the Prius at the next light that he tried to pass.

9. Explorer Limited

Explorer Limited New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ Jun 21 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]274917[/snapback]</div>
    Are you forgetting entirely about flex-fuel engines? Also, when did I ever say ANYTHING about the emissions of current engines?

Since when do they allow patients in the psychiatric ward access to the internet :wacko:

10. markie45

markie45 New Member

Hmmm, interesting topic. Yes, I think the Prius may be considered in the whole a chick car -- not because you see more woman than men driving them (I'm noticing about a 75m/25f split after my first week of ownership), but because - let's face it -- they ain't exactly macho in most folks eyes. I must say though that I've never been too hung up on driving the what everybody else is. Most of my peers drive BMW's and Mercedes which are w/o exception black or silver....Of course I chose silver pine mica for my Prius because I think it's a calming color that fits the car and what it represents -- and hell, I just think it's pretty! There, I've said it!! Until this Prius I drove my 1994 GMC truck (still have it) with 270,000 + miles on it. It's always amazed me what some people will spend to drive "the look". Of course, this is SoCal where the "you are what you drive" refrain is common. Whatever. I've always grinned a little and said to myself, I've chosen not to drive a big Mercedes or worse an Escalade -- but I COULD drive any car I want, and I KNOW I have far more money than you do!!!
    Car is great, on the 400th mile of my 2nd tank -- 54.3 mpg!

11. Explorer Limited

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dandeman @ Jun 21 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]274953[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, everyone driving an escalade must be compensating for something... everyone wearing nice clothes must be doing the same, as well as anyone who isn't living in a shack or their parent's basement. Maybe we should all just be communists or monks, right?

Come on, you can do better than "lol they must be insecure" can't you? Why not just tell all the blondes you see that they're stupid and ask all your black friends to put on a dance show for you... check all the arab's shoes for bombs and export every hispanic you see without question, they're all here illegally anyway aren't they? :rolleyes:

Are you really so desperate to defend your chick car that you need to resort to stereotyping? I thought most of you didn't care what anyone else thought....

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IMO what it comes down to:

insecure people drive the "status cars" to put out the image of how rich/macho/powerful/whatever else they are, because they can't put out that image themselves, whether it's due to lack of all qualities mentioned or because they have no personality.

not to say ALL people who drive so-called status care are insecure. some just like the cars i suppose.

but if you know you've got the stuff, if you know you're more (ahem) well equipped than the guy in the mercedes next to you (or whatever makes ya feel good), if you're comfortable with your income and don't need a car to "fake it till you make it" and you're confident enough, you won't care what you drive because you don't need the car to make the statement.

my husband drives a 1987 toyota camry and feels good about it, and i think he's the sexiest man alive ;)

13. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Potential Buyer @ May 29 2006, 05:30 AM) [snapback]262312[/snapback]</div>

When you get old, try getting in and out of a Civic and you'll understand why.

14. Explorer Limited

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 21 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]274987[/snapback]</div>
    Explain how driving a flashy car makes you insecure? Also, have you actually seen any information that would prove ANYONE, even ONE single person drives an expensive car simply because they're compensating for something?

Maybe it's the hybrid owners who are compensating for their own jealousy by trying to put down the drivers of nicer cars. I'm sure you've all said some variation of "That bully is only making fun of you because he's insecure about himself" or you've at least heard it from someone else. That's basically what you're doing here. "HAHA stupid SUV driver... he must have a really small... penis... or something...."

If someone finds it necessary to defend themselves by putting down others it's clear who has the real issue.

15. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]274728[/snapback]</div>
    For those who pay for it themselves, today's gas prices are already astronomical.

OBW, now that China is the worlds manufacturing source, prosperity is bringing 1.3 Billion Chinese into the car and fuel market. Think we can keep up with the demand? Think your company may pull your card?

Keep tuned, it won't take a century.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]274997[/snapback]</div>
    i've known my stepdad for 19 years. he's one of those "compensators" i speak of. (edit: and i mean that in the personality sense, not the *other* sense... whatever happened to that puking smiley?)

and notice i said
    because i don't mean to be all inclusive.

17. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I probably see more men than women driving Priuses here in San Diego, and more older people than younger ones (one reason my mom and I bought our is that it was so easy for her to get into).

In any case, I'd think any SMART guy would rather drive a "cool chick" car than a "dumb prick" car.

JMHO.

18. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hope that we are using alternative fuels...before we run out of fossil fuels. But we live in a Capitolist world. I speak with my wallet. I want to end dependence on fossil fuels, so I bought a car from a company spending money on research and design to make a better car.

My father is currently looking to replace my truck (it was mine in high school and his for the other 8 years...so it's still mine). When at the car show and looking at the new Ford Rangers, we both looked at each other and said it was the exact same truck he already has. There have been few if any changes to the truck to make it more safe, comfortable, attractive, fuel efficient, cleaner, or more useful. In 10 years, you should be able to see a difference.

He's looking at the Tacoma now. I'm not pushing him to buy a Prius....he needs a truck. You can't carry full plywood sheets in my car. I bought what was right for me, and you should do the same. And stop trolling.

And it's nice for you that your company pays for gas, but mine does not unless I'm on their time, and then because of my Prius, I make money. At $.44 a mile, I watch my car loan go down every time I drive for business. And yes, I bought a Prius on a loan. I did it to grow my credit history, and I'm paying it off in less than half the loan term.

19. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jun 22 2006, 05:04 AM) [snapback]275160[/snapback]</div>
    Classic quote... :D :lol: :rolleyes: saving to long term memory.... B)

20. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 09:01 PM) [snapback]274973[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

I drove a '94 Acura Integra for 12 years until I took delivery on a Prius almost three weeks ago. My '94 Integra was able to run on pure alcohol; however, I was NEVER able to find a location that sold it except the liquor store, and I'll be dammed if I was going to pay $20 or more per gallon to run my car on Jack Daniels. ;)

My point?

I think it far, far more likely that E85 and the touting of it that automakers are currently doing is pure PR garbage that is designed to make you think that they are actually doing something about "our addiction to oil". I highly doubt it will amount to anything.