1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius not accepting gas? Maybe this is why.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cheers2Lizzie, Sep 21, 2017.

1. cheers2Lizzie

cheers2Lizzie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some time ago, my darling 2008 Prius decided to stop accepting gas. Every time I would stop by the pump, the pump would click off and tank would sometimes overflow. I had to figure out clever maneuvers to feed her and it would never be just a quick stop at the pump. It started a little bit after I ran out of gas and had to walk my happy nice person to the gas station to fill up a reserve container.

I did a lot of PriusChat and Google investigations about my issue and everything pointed to pricey fixes (collapsed gas tank bladder, mostly). Since I was a little broke at the time, I waited until I had saved up some moola to take it in and braced myself for the worst news.

What do you know!?! That reserve gas tank I used...a piece of the nozzle broke off and lodged itself into the entry point of my tank. Cost me about $150 to get it removed (included diagnostics), while I was bracing myself for a $600 job. Whew!! Perhaps this will find someone who is having a similar problem.

SFO and VFerdman like this.
  2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you got off so easily. These bladder tanks really are not making any fans. Mine is okay, but the inconsistency of how much fuel it will take from fill-up to fill-up is a bit annoying. Still love the car as for the most part a joy to own and drive.

srellim234 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is probably a common issue which may have saved a lot of people tremendous grief over the years, if only we had known sooner. thanks!(y)