1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius not Bulletproof

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jbarnhart, Nov 15, 2006.

1. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The thing is, he also slams diesel cars too !
    Let's face it - if it doesn't burn petrol, isn't a V8 or higher and doesn't put out more than 500bhp...he ain't interested.
    Nowadays JC is 90% tongue in cheek - accept him for that and enjoy.
    The ratings prove it.

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Nov 18 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]351389[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, because in England a gallon is 1.20 times the 55 mpg the EPA test is based on. So, a Prius in England gets 66.0 mpUKg EPA average city/highway, during the summer, with the AC off, and after its warmed up. While the Diesels are getting 55 mpUKg, which is like 45.8 mpUSg.

3. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

This is the same guy who destroyed a Porsche 911.

He is an idiot.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius The First @ Nov 18 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]351566[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm. I duno. I had the '89 cab speedser around 15 years ago ... it was ok ... but then along came peak oil. Golf? I'm 6'5". I have to put my knees under my chin to sit in the golf. In the prius I fit ok, Other than that, I just got my '04 Prius best tank mpg today ... 61.7mpg ~ 601 miles on the tank, and its WINTER. Can't do that in a 911. Plus, following the speed limit, the 911 & I will get to our destinations at the same time. Come on people, it's just a car. Gets us from point A to point B. Faster than that? It may get you killed while you're having 'fun'. That said, I did enjoy the maching gun ... like to watch stuff get shot up. Must be my Montana side.

5. Verrückt

Verrückt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Nov 18 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]351523[/snapback]</div>
    Which diesels?

Any modern diesel that only gets 45 mpg either is large or has a ton of horsepower.

Thrifty diesels like the Audi A2 or VW Lupo or VW Polo can AVERAGE around 80 mpg (US).

Really, I think most people would rather have something like this which offers near sports car performance and 50+ mpg than a Prius...especailly European drivers.

This is why Prius sales in Europe are basically zero.

6. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Verrückt @ Nov 19 2006, 05:19 AM) [snapback]351636[/snapback]</div>
    Not true. The demand is so high that there's a waiting list in most areas. Toyota doesn't advertise the Prius because it sells itself.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Verrückt @ Nov 19 2006, 07:19 AM) [snapback]351636[/snapback]</div>
    Hallo Verruckt,

I could not find a 170 hp Diesel on the http://www.volkswagen.co.uknew_cars/golf/engines# website. I did find a 2.0 liter 140 hp GT Diesel DSG (the DSG is amazing quick shifting automatic gear box). The 170 hp cars were all gasoline engine, as best I could tell (TSI - direct injection supercharged petrol engines and worse mileage than the diesels). The 140 hp GT Diesel DSG had an accelleration to 60 mph of 9.3 seconds, which is just a little better than the Prius 10.2. It was rated by VW to have a consumtion of 46.3 mpg, and as this is a UK website, this would be something like 38.5 mpg in the USA EPA combined. There maybe variation in the test protocol. Anybody an expert on the protocol difference?

Highway mileage is great, it did have a 56.5 mpUKg Highway (46.9 mpUSg), but honestly, I never get to drive 70 mph in Chicagoland for more than a few seconds at a time. At 70 mph, the Prius would perform at about the 47 mpUSg. Traffic just will not allow sustained highway speeds during commute times. Its common to be doing a dead stop, or slow and go at 10 to 30 mph on a 4 lane super highway.

This seems to confirm my contention that the TDI cars are great for intercity travel, or as a general car in the sparsely populated regions of the western US. They are just not solving the urban/suburban car problem. On these two levels they do not match - Slow and go fuel Efficiency, Extra low emissions due to the car density. And in a city enviorment the one thing you do not want to be emitting is particulants. NOx, even CO2 and HC in most cities is not to terrible (Denver and LA are exceptions of course) but particulants are the BIG problem.

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Hi y'all: I'm John Boy, Billy Bob's cousin and third love (after his truck and guns). I see he's still drivin' around that ole truck we stole from the revival meetin'. See, my sister Darla Mae said she would only 'do' us in a bed and that PU had such a nice big one. It was quite a night what with all them empty beer bottles and the three of us a-rollin' round 'n gettin sweaty 'n all. Ever one in these here parts knows not to mess with Billy Bob's reserved parkin' spot. When he saw that pissant lil' car in his spot he went ballistic. You city folk can have all the funnin' you want, but you'll never know how we had to persuade Billy Bob leave behind his howitzer for the small game huntin' you witnessed in the clip. When he first stole it we tole him the howitzer was strickly for game, 'n ain't no game dressed in blue in these parts. Momma had a hell of a time rasslin' the howitzer shells from his cold, passed out hands. Thought you'd like the rest of the story what got cut from the beginnin' of the clip.

9. wombat1

wombat1 New Member

The problem is that the BBC piece compares apples and oranges.
    Needless to say it isn't pointed out that the type automobiles models
    available in North America as compared to those available in G.B. and the
    Continent are strikingly different.

If for instance a very high mileage low emition
    Volkswagen Passat type diesel automobile is available in the U.S.
    when I'm next looking I very well might decide on that
    rather than another Prius. However that isn't an option
    currently available in the U.S.

The presenter, was therefore, merely setting up a stalking horse.

10. Verrückt

Verrückt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Nov 19 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]351669[/snapback]</div>
    You missed it.

The "GT 170 PS DPF" engines are all 2.0 liter diesel units. The DPF stands for diesel particle filter. There are three of them to choose in the drop down menu.

Strangely, the highway fuel consumption is rated at 5 liters/100 km (47 US mpg) on the UK site and 4.8 liters/100 km (49 US mpg) on the German site.

11. HPgod

HPgod New Member

ROTFLOL

First, Top Gear Rocks!!! Jeremy Clarkson IS the man's man of speed, power and everything the prius is not.
    Second, click me nuff said.

GET A JOB!!!!

My supercharged Miata would rock a Prius up and down and still get 29 to the gallon, OH and my gixster will make a Prius cry with 35+ to the gallon, AND both look GREAT while passing you even IF you are in the diamond lane.

However since the planet IS all we really and we need to take care of it, but you should stop acting so leet and put some real effort into hydrogen cars instead of claiming you us less gas hybrid is just lessing the over all problem.

great discussion tho ;-)

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Nov 16 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]350573[/snapback]</div>
    Don't Christians say that cleanliness is next to godliness? I'm not sure where I'm headed...but feel like there are perhaps half a dozen ways (at least ) to offend a variety of people...

So, nevermind...
    [smile]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hpgod @ Dec 21 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]365377[/snapback]</div>
    Blown Miata? I drove one for a while. Ran okay, but all I remember is the SEVERE case of trailing throttle oversteer and the cramped cabin.

Don't really see much that compares with a Prius, though.

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Ok so your car gets 35+ to the gallon, I get 50+ so I win. :p

But just so you know...electric motors are faster then engines.

Proof " Click here to watch how electric motors will beat you every time. " But don't feel bad the X1 beats me too as he can drive without gas.

BTW: It take more energy to separate hydrogen then to just put the power into batteries in the first place.

14. HPgod

HPgod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Dec 21 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]365395[/snapback]</div>
    YOUTUBE FIRST COMMENT
    Why did the X1 and Carrera GT race from a rolling start? Because electric cars have more torque off the line and the CGT needs a clutch drop and wheelspin to get any decent numbers. Biased testing...

Just the other day we were debating why chevy doesn't make a hybrid z06 with displacement on demand, WHICH will rock anything production on the track (leguna seca and the drag) and probably still be able to proudly wear an emissions badge. FYI I'd be the first one in line to buy that z06 vette.

Electric motors have one huge advantage instant TQ but no one really seems to take advantage of it other then the off the beaten path independent car manufactures and at ungodly prices, from what i've seen none of the electric cars can do both accel and top speed.

And I have seen that video as well, BUT if you watch this one click me, so scientifically speaking the only varibile in both cars is the propulsion, and I garuntee the the gas engine will rule a fair test.

Type R V-tec Supercharged... Their web site says you can get one with 345hp.... stunned. in a 1000ish lbs of lovely tube frame

The only advatage the X1 had on the porsche and ferrari was power to weight ratio because of the chassis the seat the body the radio the roof the carpet the windows etc etc etc.... You can wrap a tube frame around a hair dryer and make it go fast.

Nothing against the electric cars in general... someone on my motorcycle forum said "Hey, I like all those Prius on the road lateley. They are a lot easier to get past than a Hummer or Escalade."

But as far as road holding.... acceleration.... fit and finish.... and *eh hem* coolness factor the city bus helps the environment more and I would not be AS ashamed to ride that BUAHAHAHAAAAAAaaaa (but seriously)

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hpgod @ Dec 21 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]365423[/snapback]</div>
    I think there's a law that says that you have to have a midlife crisis, wear white Sansabelt slacks with matching white patent belt and loafers, and a hairshirt, before being allowed to drive a Corvette.

But, if you add a pocket protector to your hairshirt, we might consider allowing this behaviour, if the Vette's a hybrid.

16. HPgod

HPgod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 21 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]365383[/snapback]</div>
    Prius
    great on gas ........................ slow
    Big interior .......................... heavy
    FWD..................................... terrible in the corners
    automatic............................. limiting drivers control
    suspension........................... body ROOOoooOOLL

Blown Miata (centrifical BTW)
    gas........................................ still above average
    small interior ......................... holds a 5'11' 230lb man but then again miata = roadster
    RWD...................................... because it's fun to turn with the gas :D
    Manual................................... I am a control freak, and it helps with throtle steering
    Suspension............................. so crisp on ramps are launch pads

Oh and I dare not look of engine performance numbers on a prius i'd split my sides with laughter, he he he.
    SOOOooOOO i agree not much in common at all, fun and pratical never played nice with each other.
    And i'm putting about 190hp and 175tq to the ground, and JUUUUuust over 2400lbs. can't get that out of a energizer

17. HPgod

HPgod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 21 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]365441[/snapback]</div>
    And for some reason with the outfit you described if you buttoned the shirt, changed the slacks to all purpose recycled hemp slack, tied a sweater around the waist changed the loafers for flip flops slapped a "free tibet" or "keep tahoe blue" bumber sticker their car you'd have any one of the prius owners i see daily

WAIT WAIT!!! I just thought of something a prius would be good for a drive by shooting they'd never hear ya coming, OH wait i forgot about the get away NEVERMIND 8^)

it's cool though someone needs to make sure tahoe is never in danger of polution being as it's surround by the independently weathly and thousands of people visit it from all over the world, we should devert money away from the "keep the missippi from catching on fire" fund to help out.

18. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, well I can't tell you how excited we all are to hear of the many admirable qualities of the blown miata. -_-

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm sorry about your small penis.

20. HPgod

HPgod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 21 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]365507[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you,
    Even if there isn't a sarcasitic font i still got it.
    It's just not me to try to be trendy or "hip" to buy an over priced whined up toy car.
    I mean honestly what does it do well?
    Sell me a prius....?
    What made you want to buy one?
    Well i'll leave my 2cents out until i see why you choose to buy one.
    get a SC'ed miata and you will smile I BET you will !

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 21 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]365533[/snapback]</div>
    You know coming from a dude with a pussycat as an avatar speaking of another man's pkg is well a bit off
    PERSONALLY I keep such thoughts out of my mind i'm too preoccupied with the wonderful sounds of a mean lobe on a cam, the whine of a SC, or waste valve dump of twin turbos.
    But hey to each his own.