1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Not Charging - Anyone Else Seen This?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by bilofsky, Feb 15, 2013.

1. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Edit (3/2/13): Problem identified. The timer was incorrectly and inadvertently set, so charging wouldn't start. See this post below.

Three times in the past two weeks, my PiP has refused to take a charge.

It happened twice on Chargepoint chargers. The second time, I plugged in and the charger displayed "Vehicle refused charge" or something similar. Tried 10 times with the same result. Then it charged fine at home, and on 240v the next day.

This morning, it won't charge at home on 110. Plug in, the brick clicks, it draws about 200 ma for a couple of seconds, and then zero. Totally repeatable.

No fault codes on Torque. The dealer had it earlier this week and couldn't make it happen or see any fault codes either. The first time it happened the charging cable was off the ground, so I suspected a bent pin, but they all look fine.

Any ideas? Anyone seen anything similar?

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check anything else you may have on the line, if not a dedicated line. Check all ground faults may be setting the esve to stop any charging. If not that, We will have to wait for some one else to chime in! :)

3. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Never happened to me yet.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only thing i remember was leaving the drivers door open. maybe it was in ready, but i don't think so. don't go by me tho, i'm old, i'm confused.:confused:

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the contacts in the port need a little cleaning with some electrical contact spray and a cotton swab. Just throwing that out there.

6. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had this happen randomly on some ChargePoint chargers, but nothing on the provided charger yet.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ive never had this happen on 110 at home. I've had this happen once with Chargepoint. I made sure the amber light was on before I left. The light was off when I got back. When I turned on the car it said I was disonnected early. I just assumed some joker unplugged me. I think once Chargepoint stops, it doesn't turn on again. I purchased a luggage lock for the handle and this hasn't happened again.

8. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    It didn't charge at home for two days. I thought I had a solid failure and made a service appointment for Monday.

Then last night it charged at home, and today it charged on Chargepoint (one of the ones that failed last week) and at home. Grrrr.

Next time I get a failure at home I'll try cleaning the contacts, but they look real shiny to me.

It's not the circuit because it's happened at home and on two different Chargepoints.

9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I.m not very smart with electricity, but sounds like maybe the esve cable ground fault is going off?

10. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    At least one cause has been identified - the timer incorrectly set and preventing charging at the expected time.

Last night around 8 pm I turned on the timer and plugged in. It was supposed to be set to finish charging at 7 am.

What I did not notice was that the start time option was selected, and for some reason it was set to 7 pm.

So of course it did not charge last night, and would not charge when I plugged it in several times today.

Had it not been noticed, it would have cleared itself at 7 pm tonight whether plugged in or not.

So that was the problem today, and might have been the problem each of the other times, although I'm still puzzled why it just started happening the other week.

The takeaway: If your PiP won't charge, check to see if the timer is on (little green clock icon at the upper right of the display).

lensovet likes this.
  11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Never had this problem in my ten months of ownership. I've used lots of different ChargePoint chargers and a few Blink chargers.

12. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol did you read the resolution? It was because he had his timer set.

Rebound likes this.
  13. bigal

bigal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

14. bigal

bigal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would of never found it!!
    Got the car back from service and plugged in the 240 cable. Charged for a few seconds and then quit. Same with the 120. So I felt that the service was the source of the problem. I decided to get out here and see if anyone else had the problem. The time indicator was it. All I had to do was to hit that clock thing button and now all is well.