1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius not starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kolez2000, Mar 5, 2023.

1. kolez2000

kolez2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    am working on this Toyota Prius 2007. The high voltage battery was changed and the car refused to start.
    The codes are listed below.
    U0146 Lost
    Communication With
    Gateway 'A'
    P3108 Lost
    Communication with A/C
    System Control module
    HistoryU0129 Lost
    Communication With Brake
    SystemControl Module
    Current.
    My guess is the gateway needs to be changed. Where is the gateway located?
    Does it need programing when changing?
    Hope to hear from you soon

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Does your new hybrid battery show 200 plus volts? Is your 12 volt still actually 12 volts not 11.3? And last but not least when you put the orange plug in the battery's one of the last things you do when you go to push the lever down you need to pull your finger on that lever as hard as you can stand it so it slams into its last downward position snap matter of fact you should go out to the car and do that right now and watch everything all of a sudden light up probably?!. Like go try it now or what have you when your time zone permits

3. kolez2000

kolez2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid battery and the 12v batteries are ok.
    I am thinking it's a coincidence that the AR is not starting...I just need to ay what was done on the car recently according to the owner of the car

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually when you make those disconnections obviously everything loses communication in the car but once everything's reconnected and connected properly and that orange plug is seated correctly you should have power and whatever codes you have you have until you establish start it may be clear them and then a reboot and see if you have anything else but a lot of times it's that orange plug that gets people that last step pushing that orange thing down sometimes it has to be done rather smartly that's all I'm saying here been a few posts here where people went to the back of the car redid that and everything was golden.

ANDRAS RIMELY likes this.
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most "Uxxx" lost communication codes are set by blown fuses, poor ground connections, or other wiring faults. Sometimes I see a bad ecu, but that's rare.

What scantool are you using? Which ecu is setting which U code? Did the car run before the HV battery was replaced?

A fully capable scantool will list all 15 or 16 ecu's in a Gen2 Prius and report if any ecu has codes (or not) , or if any ecu doesn't respond.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. kolez2000

kolez2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am using thinkdiag... Scan results attached to this reply.

Attached Files:

7. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you save the results of the complete vehicle scan and attach it? It really helps to see the whole picture.

The hybrid control ecu says it can't talk to some ecu's. Now I want to know what can the scantool talk to.

8. kolez2000

kolez2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

9. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm looking for the system scan in the "report"- looks like this - this one shows all 16 ecu's on my 2006 that could talk.

If one or more can't communicate at all, they will be missing from the list.
    Screenshot_20230306-130721.jpeg