1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius not switching into EV mode - 12v battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Meditation, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Meditation

Meditation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 14' C, 3 years old, has 63K on it. I use the car for local commercial driving so ~40-55 miles/day 8:30am to about 3PM, it idles a bit too since I'll park for ~10-30 mins between trips w/ the ac on low. I've noticed in the afternoon around noon the car does not like to switch into EV mode unless it's below 22MPH. normally the car will go ev under ~42MPH. I also notice the throttle from a stop light the car will be quicker to turn the engine on then using the EV acceleration. here is a video I took coasting downhill in the afternoon to demonstrate the problem:

later that same day I came home parked the car for 2 hours, then drove to the gym. on the way there and back it seemed the engine was running a lot, even when I was cruising around 10-20MPH the engine stayed on :notworthy:

I sprayed the throttle intake with CRC Twice, didn't make any difference. I also checked the vent under the passenger seat and it's clear.

Does this seem like it's a 12V battery issue? What tool(s) can I buy to use to test the voltage?

2. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My car has done this a few times. I think it might be some sort of test program - it does weird things like drains the battery down very low or fills it up all the way.

It also could be a hot HV battery. Was the battery fan running hard?

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what the outside temp? doesn't seem like a 12v issue. do you carry any animals?

4. Meditation

Meditation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen it do the the idle & fill the battery bars few times, but mostly infrequently. How do I know if the battery fan is running hard? I use the AC on low or the 2-3 from low. that something I can hear from the hood or rear?

outside temp in the afternoon is around ~75-85° lately . no animals ever.

my MPG in the morning is around ~50-60. In the afternoon it's like ~38-45 so a significant difference even though i'm mostly driving local. I also notice if I'm going around 50-60MPH and I let off the throttle it seems to rev itself up for second? is that normal? could it be transmission issue?

#4 Meditation, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems more like a battery issue. is the battery charge display acting abnormally in any way? it might be worth having a look at the cooling fan.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Except for coasting and stopping, I have NEVER been able to coax my C into EV mode above about 22 MPH.......and I think it is pretty much designed that way.

And it does do some "strange" things with running the engine at times, but that doesn't last long and then everything goes back to "normal".

If other strange things start happening you might suspect the 12 V battery......but not now.

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you let off the gas completely, it should shift to EV mode, unless the throttle position is too depressed to allow it. My 2016 C 3 will enter EV with this method, below 40 mph.
    Gasoholic

8. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    That's only true if the vehicle control computer doesn't have some other reason for keeping the engine running, such as during the warm-up phase or if you're asking for a lot of heat and the coolant isn't hot enough to provide it.

9. Red-

Red- New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the exact same problem with my 2013 Aqua (aka prius c in Japan). The engine blips the throttle when I let go of it, keeps on running even if I'm at a stop light.. This is usually if I've ran the car a bit fast.. Usually it's hard to keep it in EV. I am assuming the cooling fan is not working...? because I have no blockages at the vent. My 12v battery is giving out 12 1/2 volts after not being used over night. The temperature here currently is 113F.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well you can keep worrying about that if you MUST but I am telling you that IF it only exhibits that unusual behavior occasionally......or after a triggering event like driving like you stole it.......that does NOT indicate a problem.

And the design of the C makes it hard to "keep it in EV" with driver actions.
    That's just the way it IS.

Oic120 likes this.
  11. Meditation

Meditation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Battery charging is normal, it fills up and drains as I use EV power. When I idle the car w/ AC it switches on and off normal.

After looking around more I think it may be the battery cooling fan, I do idle it like 1-1.5 hour/day so it may be dirty. Are there any tutorial vids on how to inspect/clean the battery cooling fan specifc for a C? The tutorials for the lift back look daunting o_O I'm going to blow compressed air into the vents with the car off see if this helps first.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i know of. google you tube to see if anyone has done anything on it.

13. Meditation

Meditation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What is the replacement frequency or expected lifespan for the 12v battery?

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If it has not been abused by running it totally flat......the sealed AGMs should have a life of at least 5 years; maybe a bit less in a REALLY HOT environment.

One with caps to add water, maybe 3-4 years......IF you add water as needed.

15. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The original 12V battery on my 2012 Prius C is still working just fine, although I'm thinking of replacing it just because of it's age.

16. Meditation

Meditation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Had the 65K done 5/11/17. I had them clean the HV fan. My mechanic was skeptical, said if the fan is not working properly it will throw a code. They cleaned it for $85, said the fan had lots of lint.

The prius is now driving normal and actually feels lot faster now, it gives EV mode all day now, EV motor seems more responsive, engine comes on less. I'm back to getting 60+MPG on local roads like usual :)

My theory -as the car is driven the battery will increasingly heat up, with the HV fan working only 50-70% effective at some point a portion of the battery or all of it be too warm to use so it runs the engine to force more air. seems why I was only able to activate it at 22MPH or lower.

Mendel Leisk and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have told you this before (I think) and now once again:
    That is the way the C is designed.
    I have a brand new '17 with less than 500 miles and it does that too.......just like the last one I had that acted like that for about 35,000 miles.
    IT IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR.
    The EV button is mostly worthless.

18. Meditation

Meditation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I never use the EV button, just keep it in eco mode and and use the throttle for EV.

it now cycles more quickly through stages, so more EV time :)

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good. I'm glad that you are happier now. (y)

(Note: are you familiar with the placebo effect ??) :whistle:

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    are you always such a jerk?