1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Odor Removal System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Reedja42, Jul 9, 2012.

1. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife hasn't turned it on because of me yet. But I am sure the day is coming.

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No it can't, because there aren't enough atoms of gasoline in the residual fumes to ignite.

3. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People have been watching too much TV I think. While it is correct, that it is the fumes that burn, you don't just get a fireball every time you have the smell of gasoline. Certain conditions must be met in order for combustion to take place. First, some of the gasoline must evaporate, in other words it must be converted to its gaseous form. Second, it must mix with the oxygen in the air and it must reach the correct hydrocarbon gas to oxygen ratio. At this point you have the potential for combustion, but you still are missing the third and final ingredient, an ignition source. You need a spark, open flame, or extreme heat; in some cases very high temperatures will cause what is known as spontaneous combustion, to get combustion to take place. In the real world, as opposed to the TV world where things just explode at the drop of a hat, it is actually fairly hard to get the perfect mixture of those three key ingredients to get combustion to occur. If things worked like the TV world, multiple gas stations would be exploding every day. I have been filling, storing, and safely transporting my gas cans for many years. I can’t drive my lawn mower to the gas station, or load my generator into the car to take it to the gas station, I need to purchase my gasoline and take the fuel to the machines that need it. All you need to do, is make sure there are no ignition sources present, and keep a steady supply of fresh air coming into the vehicle, so that the correct fuel to air mixture is never reached. Despite these precautions, the vehicle is left with the odor of gasoline inside, due to how pungent it is. I was just letting everyone know how well the odor reduction system worked on this very hard to remove smell.

Sam was also glad to hear that it works well on skunk smell too.:)

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is our air cleaner an electronic version or some passive method?

Mike

5. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not saying it would be easy but there certainly is enough stuff in cars to start a spark. A lose wire can arc and bad wire can smolder, etc. But you are right that there probably isn't enough fumes to make a fire.

And believe me I know what all is in the fire triangle, had to learn that with shipboard firefighting at MARAD.