1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius oil change talk...I.m so excited

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ctbering, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For some reason I can't find enough threads on oil changes, particularly the type of oil to use, how much oil to actually put in, synthetic versus mineral oil, difference in oil filters, etc. . I have read the web sites on AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Mobile 1 synthetic, Castro etc.. The Prius Chat members have been particularly helpful although it is unclear to me whether once you put in synthetic oil why you cannot go back to mineral oil. . My new Prius has
    3 K and I decided I would perform all maintenance at 5 k intervals, like oil change and tire rotation, and other maintenance as required. The dealer filled the tires with nitrogen and it would seem wise to continue with nitrogen air fill ups although I have not seen whether nitrogen keeps the tires inflated properly until the 5 k maintenance servicing.
    I live in a condo and I cannot change oil in my heated garage so my plan is the following:
    Purchase 4 quarts of Royal Purple oil but only bring in 3 quarts of Royal Purple 5 w-20 oil and have Orland Toyota or Grossinger Toyota in Chicago, change the oil using the Royal Purple and use the Toyota oil filter and get the tires filled with nitrogen. I will take the car out for a long drive afterward and check the fluid level after the engine cools, then add possibly another more oil, possibly up to a 1/2 quart, depending on the dip stick reading.
    I am impressed with the RP oil quality and its a purple color immediately followed by an oil change so it would be easy to check I am getting
    R.P. oil what I want. This might seem like a strange thread to some but I have always been OCD when it came to changing the oil on my own. Will Toyota dealerships follow my instructions? Is this a good plan? Terry

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Royal Purple is better oil than you need so you will be fine. The dealer -should- follow your instructions. You will need to put in 3 1/2 quarts to get to the full mark. Watch for the empty Royal Purple containers. I'd tell them to put in 3 1/2 quarts as a test of their ability to follow your wishes. You can switch back to "normal" oil any time you like. You can even mix "normal" oil with most current synthetics. If you couldn't mix them you couldn't just change the oil and put in synthetic. There is at least 1/2 qt still in the engine after you drain the oil. So when you change to synthetic you are "mixing" them.

Nitrogen in tires is just "snake oil". Believe it if you like. What you really want is "a dry gas", or properly dried compressed air. The nitrogen is usually from a bottle, so it's dry. Good luck getting nitrogen in an "emergency", such as two weeks later on the other side of town. That's the drawback of trying to keep pure dry nitrogen in your tires.

The oil change is so simple you -could- do it in your apartment parking lot. Most owners opt for a garage to do it for them.