1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius oil filter stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by epoch_time, Feb 23, 2013.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I had 2500 miles on my 2009 prius I decided to change oil to mobile-1 5-30 extended preformance (best).
    I also installed fram xtended guard filter xg4957.
    Morning starts (jan-2009 cold mornings 40's F) I had an oil pressure light on dash for about 7 seconds each morning.
    Having only had the prius for 2 or 3 days I didn't notice that oil light on morning startup wasn't normal.
    Because my 1981 oldsmobile using fram regular-guard filters had oil light on startups also (seemed normal).

After about 5 or 6 morning starts I started hearing rod bearing knock during last few seconds before engine oil
    light would turn off..

I drove directly to toyota parts for toyota oil filter and never had oil pressure light come on again..

I now have 52000 miles and never seen oil light again or heard any rod knock on startup...

After reading review of toyota filter on amsol site that suggested toyota filters may not be the best. so I purchased several popular after market filters for toyota to test and cut open. Fram extended guard xg4967, purlator L14476, purlator PL14476, Wix 51394, microgard MGL4967...

I then attached vacume line with a tee in vacume guage to the center of filters. The fram pulled 3 inch mecury of vacume worth of restriction simply trying to suck air through it.. The microgard showed the least air restriction..
    The others showed 1 inch and .5 inch restrictions but I don't remember which filter had pulled 1 an .5 inch
    restrictions..

I purched a treaded flare fitting and barbed adapter from low's that allowed me to spin filters on drill press..

holding a long sheet metal screw tip against filter will eventually cut filter case off cleanly...

All filters even the sealed boxed fram had dirt and grim in side.. wix had rubber glue slopped over end caps that
    was easy pealed away. My fear with this slopped rubber glue could become trapped in by pass valve or worse rubber bits getting stuck in prius oil passages..

So a year later after reading more filter hype I decided the microgard looks worthy for a test run the mgl4967 has metal end caps.. I've seen other filters by microgard on youtube that have cardboard end caps this microgard has metal end caps and previouls having seen no air restriction with this microgard filter.

I installed the microgard on my prius with 5000 miles on mobile 1 oil and 52000 on prius...

My thoughts with microgard filter advertized >20 microns at 94% multpass efficiency I thought this filter my clog on old oil so I ran it approximately 200 miles then installed another microgard and ran that second one for 119 miles when on an extra cold morning (38 degrees) experiences extream engine knock (only on warmup) at 20 mph and 2000 rpm's...

I had a little knock with 5000 miles on oil and using toyota filter 90915yzzf2 but nothing like the knock from
    new microgards... So I installed new toyota filter with existing old mobile 1 oil and on cold morning heard no
    knocking or ticking...

My conclusion after much reading about oil filters; toyota filters have the best flow and toyota filters will capture
    20 micron particles on second pass and even smaller particles as filter becomes partially cloged ...
    Futher I believe with the many engine starts, the prius should have the best oil flow possible.. I regret using
    filters other than toyota...

After only 319 miles driven on two new microgard filters I feel I have added 10K miles or more of added engine wear..
    I have about 10% more engine noise than I had before using microgard....I feel microgard is about the best filter out there but not as good at toyota.

DO NOT USING ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE TOYOTA RECOMMENDED FILTER!

One other thing I allways prefill oil filters before installation.. filling the toyota filter with oil you can watch
    the oil level in filter center tube drop quickly as the oil seeps through filter media..
    Prefilling the microgard filter takes mush longer for oil to seep through its media..Therefor toyota filters flow
    better and engine is much quieter...

Dino33ca, Mike Flaherty and uart like this.
  2. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Beans to you for the research. You must not have much to do in Vegas.
    Seriously though. I just joined the Prius family ( 1 owner 2008 rally /87-k) I have always used a local shop for oil changes and tires. (19.95) includes rotation. Guess I'll have to take them my own filter or bite the bullet and pay the dealer the big bucks !

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for posting that story epoch. A good reminder that, unless you're very sure of what you're getting with an aftermarket filter, you're better off staying with an OEM.

Personally I've never received a low oil pressure light at start up. The oil light (along with all the other dash lights) does come on briefly when I first make ready mode, but then goes off. And when the ICE actually starts, I've never even seen it blink.

Also, after every oil/filter change I'm fairly vigilant to listen carefully during the first start to make sure nothing went awry. So far I've been really impressed with how smoothly and rattle/knock/tap free that the engine always starts. I do always pre-fill the filter too. :)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. Can you post photos which show the Toyota oil filter cut open, as well as your test setup?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting that you have low oil pressure light on when s.u. The fram although not my favorite filter should not have caused that so you either have low oil or really wrong viscosity or you have not had the car long and the last owner never changed the oil and the sump is gunked up.The car's general oil pressure level should be investigated asap.

Knocking is horrendous and will usually quickly cause damage.

I have always used the factory filter and always recommend it. Its only $4.50 and you know its the right filter and right bypass valve. Toyota knows what there doing and also knows where the oil level should be. I always cringe when I see people here recommending to run there cars with reduced oil level (below the full mark) because its supposed to help mileage.

6. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick.
    I dont have any pictures..
    I have never cut open a new toyota filter only old used toyota filters.

My girlfriend has a 2010 prius that I do oil changes for its filter element is
    Identical to the element found in the 2009 toyota cartridge.

There's many pictures of both filters on internet..

The vacum pump I used is sold by harber freight for 14.95. It works off compressed air.
    at 90psi input the device produce 2 cubic foot per minute suction.

I put a vacume guage in line with suction to measure restriction.. I didn't really think I would see anything but wow I couldn't
    believe it till I connected all afermarket filters about 1/2 dozen times till I believed it..

I the time I was only putting about 50psi into suction device Thought I would turn up pressure input as needed.
    but didn't need to plenty of oil filter restriction observed with suction device operating at half specification..

I just uploaded my cut open filter collection notice nascar race in background on my vizio hehe..

hope picture works I,ve never uploaded to prius chat before..

Attached Files:

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats great ePoch. The Wix brand is really common down here in the south too. That's what JiffyLube uses also.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota branded filters can be had as cheap as any other; why use anthing else?

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What grade of oil did you have in there at the time epoch? If you had the correct grade oil then that filter must have been completely collapsed or something. No one here has ever reported horrible delays like that (7 seconds) in getting oil pressure. That's really bad!

I know exactly what you're talking about though. Back in the '80s I had an old VW with about 300,000 miles on it and I was using mega-thick oil to try to control oil burning. The first start after an oil change was just like that, I'd be watching the oil pressure light and basically trying to will it to go off, "cooome on, you can do it, come on oil - go". She'd make all sorts of horrible rattles and clangs for about 6 or 7 seconds until finally the oil light went out and it quietened down. :)

11. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Convinced me. I've been using Fram tough guard all this time without a rattle. But I looked in to prices for genuine Toyota at AutoNation Toyota Parts online and they listed at $4.06 a piece. So I ordered four.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got some cut open pictures of a Ryco oil filter that I previously ran on the Prius. It had 10000 miles on it when I cut it open. I'll dig up the photos and post them later today.

Right now I'm running a Toyota OEM filter. I think I'll cut it open when it's finished as well and compare. That ones still got another 6000 miles to go though.

13. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    edthefox

I am the orgnal owner of the prius.
    my prius was brandnew with only 2500 miles when i did my first oil change..
    I installed fram xtraguard filter that had no oil pressure on morning starts for 7 or 8 seconds.

you say my oil was to thick ; NO It was mobile 1 synthetic 5-30w extended protection (gold cap mobile).

Uart I've never had anything other than Mobile-1 5-30 synthetic oil in my prius other than what came in it from the factory!

And NO the filter had not collapsed.. The filter looked perfect when cut open....However fram xtraguard xg4967 drain back valve
    does not seal against filter media.. The drain back valve has 3 ribed extrusion on the inside hole which seem to only center the
    drain back valve to the media not seal against media.... all other filters i've cut open drain back valve seals to the media.

I believe the filter was empty each morning due to crapy engineered drain back valve... Or purposely designed drain back valve
    by jealous oil companies trying to destroy gas efficient prius vechicles....

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's a cut open I did recently. The filter brand is Ryco, which is a fairly popular filter brand in Australia. Don't be misled by the state of the two metal end caps, they were nice and straight until I pried them away from the media with a large set of pliers. The filter media was very firmly bonded to the end caps.

Overall I was happy with the construction of this filter. The things I liked were:
    - Metal end caps. Firmly bonded with no chance of unintended bypass.
    - Real (coil) springs for both the bypass and anti-drainback valves.
    - The "rubber on steel" bypass valve looked like it would seal well.
    - The anti-drainback membrane was a still nice an pliable and working well after 10k miles.

BTW. The bypass valve is the small one in the metal end cap. The anti-drainback mechanism is combination of the large silicon rubber (orange) diaphragm and the larger spring (which keeps it compressed against the filter base plate).

[​IMG]

Close up of the bypass.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the media.
    [​IMG]

Very close up of the media.
    [​IMG]

15. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you have a different (serious) problem other than the oil filter. Take it to someone who can check the oil pressure, I'd bet there is a pump problem and the pressure is low. There is absolutely no way normal oil pressure would have a problem overcoming the resistance in an oil filter. Even on initial start-up with a new empty filter it would only take 2-3 seconds to fill and build pressure. A pressure switch will turn the light off at a much lower pressure than normal so don't think the pressure is normal just because the light is not on.

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes I agree, the OP does seem to have been extremely unlucky to have had problems with more than one filter. Even in the worst case scenario you'd at least expect the bypass valve to kick in and save you.

Also the methodology of applying vacuum to the center hole of the filter and sucking air may not be a very good indicator. I say this because you may have ended up primarily measuring the vacuum to open the anti-drainback valve (or whether the ADBV actually sealed correctly against air). Thus those comparison of 1" versus 3" Hg (0.5 psi verus 1.5 psi) may not be particularly meaningful.

17. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found oil pump information in the toyota prius repair manual that clears things up for me.

It shows how to test prius oil pump.

It states warmed up and idleing in inspection mode oil pressure should be 4.5 psi or more!
    At 2500 rpm is says oil pressure should be 22-80 psi.

It also shows oil viscosity recommended for different climates using up to 20-50w for high
    temperature cilmates.. Is this when you get 80 psi ?

Thank god prius doesn't idle very long if 4.5 psi is acceptable..

I also found the toyota bypass valve has the weakest spring of all my aftermarket opened filters.

I will attach page from service manual it is a pdf file hope this works

Attached Files:

edthefox5 likes this.
  18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

The low pressure oil spec of many engines is quite low like that. Many "idiot lights" don't come on until the pressure is down around 5 PSI. I think the situation is a bit like oil consumption, manufactures often specify ridiculous levels like 1qt/1000 miles as "acceptable" because it minimizes warranty claims.

The actual pressure you get will depend upon the oil you're using, it's temperature and the condition of the engine. Higher viscosity oil definitely gives you more pressure, but it's kind of a moot point since it can never give you more flow (and may in fact get you slightly less).

So when your oil is fairly cool you may get 40+ psi at idle, when it's full temperature you might only get 8 or something. However the oil flow will be as good or better at the lower pressure, so it should still do the same job.

19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe the OP is exaggerating the 6 or 7 second knocking/rattling on cold starts? Or maybe hes hearing the programmed richer mixture start up ping?

I have to admit that my 2007 ICE is a little noisy sometimes on cold start. But its never knocked or rattled!! More like piston slap or valve train noise in my case. I use Purolator oil filters - either the white can (Classic) or the yellow (PureOne).

OP: Can you take a video of said noise on your next cold start?

20. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I did not know prius has oil pressure light. Never seen one lighted in my 2005 nor in 2010.

- Alex