1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius oil filter stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by epoch_time, Feb 23, 2013.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I cant speak for the 2010, but in the 2005 model you'll see all the warning lights on the dash come on very briefly just as you hit the power button. If you look carefully one of these is an oil pressure light. I've never seen mine come on during operation though.

I assume that the oil pressure light doesn't get enabled unless fuel injection is occurring, otherwise it would be on all the time when you're low speed gliding. I suspect that since the prius MG1 gets the engine spinning good and fast before fuel injection occurs that most people will never see the light in operation. A good thing no doubt. :)

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Run it real low on oil and you will.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, that's what it's there for. :rolleyes:

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never noticed an oil pressure light (assuming its the traditional dripping oil can icon), but thats ok- I dont ever want to see it anyways!! lol

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Edit. Whoops, you're right. There is no oil pressure light on the instrument panel, the "dripping oil can" I was thinking of is displayed on the MFD screen.

On low oil pressure you will get the "Multifunction Indicator Lamp" (engine icon) on the instrument panel AND the dripping oil can on the MFD.

6. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I've changed 4 prius oil filters in the past 2 weeks, 2 microgard and 2 toyota filters.
    My 5w-30 extended mobile one oil acually had 6k miles rather than the 5 k I orignally stated..
    Each of the oil filter changes resulted in the addition of approximately 8 oz of new mobile 5w-30 extended preformance oil.

I decided to change all; new mobile one oil and second new toyota filter the engine sounds the same as the day I purchased my prius..

I'm certain I dont have any oil pump problem as the responders of prius-chat suggest.. For my first indication of oil filter restriction
    was using fram top of the line filter with only 2500 miles on engine and I am certain toyota quality control monitored engine oil
    pressure on initial engine startup which was probably before engine was installed into vechicle.

I do remember a post on prius chat a couple years ago someone stated that the prius cam shafts do not phase properly with anything
    other than the orignal oil filter that came with the car.. I believe he is refeering to the vvti (variable valve timing) which is controlled
    with oil pressure ). The orignal toyota oil filter # 90915-10003 or maybe 10004 I have orignal in garage just cant remember if its
    10003 or 10004...

I just programmed my scanguage to show vvti I get readings 297 to 1200 range not sure what this means?

The code lists as vvti/inj and is incorrect. first byte of rx filter was wrong..Should be 0105 not 0100

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the OP's findings. People are brainwashed to buy more expensive aftermarket filters with better filtration, but are not told all the problems with increased restriction. Fortunately, it's easier to see it in cartridge filters. Compare the used "premium" pureone filter ($10) to the new OEM for RAV4 ($4):

[​IMG]

8. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always use Toyota oil filter and never had a problem with them, the nice part is the same one fits all four of my cars. 2 xb's 1 Prius and 1 Camry.

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am shocked when I read such threads that people want to believe their engine problems are being caused by the oil or oil-filter brand being used. It's the classic faulty correlation logic. It's not any different than saying my engine broke down because Chicago Cubs won the World Series that day.

OP then goes frantic about oil filters, changing one after the other and performing crude nonscientific inspections and experiments on them, changing his oil every few hundred miles and spending a small fortune on oil and oil filters as well as a ton of leisure time.

Needless to say, it's not the brand or even the viscosity of the oil used or the brand of the oil filter used. There have been Toyota TSBs issued on VVTi actuator problems, the only remedy being to replace the actuator.