1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius oil overfill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan king, Dec 30, 2012.

1. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So... i have an update. (btw, if this happens to anyone else, i have contact info for jiffylube claims devision... a cell number actually... and the fax. the guy who takes care of it is extremely familiar with this problem)

I'll summarize. Jiffylube took care of everything. I was reimbursed for everything. the tow, the work done. a new synthetic oil change, and the original botched oil change. when the car was ready, they faxed the info to claims and he called instantly to say they'll pay... which meant i got my car back as soon as it was done being worked on.

the procedure is similar to what's listed on here and other various sites if you dig up this issue.. or you look up TSB EG050-04

The place i took my car to is FixCarNow. They too are familiar with the problem. The manager there even owns and 06. The owner, Manager, and master prius tech ("import tech" with the prius master tech credentials) were all really nice guys. They were all familiar with everything prius. Heck.. even the manager used to hover on this forum at one time. (The fanatics tend to have all the good in depth info.)

So... my car seems to be faster.. and stronger.. and...yeah... it seems rather awesome. i was zipping around but it seems higher mpg may be easier to get now... i just have to take some lead out of my foot. (not too much or i'll blend with the other prius drivers... haha)

If anyone has questions or request for numbers, PM me.. or email me.. or call me. (i'll re check my public info to make sure my contact methods are correct)

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can never be said too often: Always check the oil level yourself before driving away from every oil change, no matter who does it.

If you're going to be in the car for hours it should either be ON ("Ready") or completely off. Anything else will drain one or both batteries.

3. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    General question: What is the bare maximum (in fl. oz.) for overfill?

Thanks.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It can’t be that critical, maybe 1/4” max overfill on the dipstick? I’ll leave the math to you.

5. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the two points look like it's 1.75 in.

I guess that's close to making a 1:1 ratio?