1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Oil Type

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Revans_3, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Revans_3

Revans_3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2005 Gen 2 Prius, I'm right around 202K miles. I'm wanting to change to a full synthetic. I've always ran conventional 5w-30. I was considering Mobile 1 0w-20. Would that be okay? Any other oil suggestions?

Let me know! Thanks!

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why change now?
    The 5w30 got you this far.....in fact I'd consider switching to a high mileage blend of the same viscosity.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why bother going synthetic now? Keep running same oil same viscosity. if you go thinner you will start losing oil. Your already seeing oil loss I bet.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

5. Revans_3

Revans_3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm losing about a quart each change!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thinner oil will likely accelerate your loss. As far as brands, Toyota's oil is fine by me. Up here bottled liters of their 0W20 are currently $5.91 at nearby dealership. There's also amenable to selling me bulk, for $3.85 per liter.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. If your changes are at 10,000 miles, then immediately reduce the OCI (oil change interval) to 5,000 and switch blends (not viscosity) to a high mileage blend.

2. Check your oil every time you load fuel to get an idea if the quart loss is steady state or increasing. Remember...your car is basically through its normal life cycle.
    Don't get offended.
    I' not impugning your car, but a $2500 to $5,000 repair would just about exceed the street value of your car and if you have a really bad year...(brakes + HVAC + traction battery) and you're not mechanically inclined then you're probably hoping to get another 50,000 miles down the road with your car still using oil at about 1q/5000 miles and not needing a heart or liver transplant.
    Start thinking about an exit strategy.

3 Do nothing else while your burn rate is static!!! Many people try to make things up to their car for what they perceive to be past sins by buying special crap (and most of it is crap!) for their car in the snake-oil section of their local parts house, and they often exacerbate the problem.

You're in Illinois, and so you're probably starting to sweat the VET thing....or you're going to be shortly when you start throwing codes, unless Priuses are allowed to pollute as much as they want to.
    The reason I bring this up is that modern cars are designed to burn unleaded gas cleanly.....not oil.

Be careful if you ignore the brilliant advice in #3 above and get somebody to "clean all of the gunk out of your engine."
    Used catalytic converters are cheap, but the install fees can be rather high......and there are oppressive states that do not allow one to replace their cat with a used unit, and insist on putting a "new" $1500 catalytic converter into a $5000 car. (see #2 above.)

Good Luck!
    Keep us posted!!

8. Revans_3

Revans_3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's a lot to take in! But the car is running perfect. No codes or anything. The car has been perfectly maintained. I have almost every service record from 2005. I asked because I went to Valvoline for my last oil change. Only because it's winter, when I usually change it myself. I asked because it was suggested; not a necessity.

9. Revans_3

Revans_3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm starting to think I should just stick with the 5w-30 conventional or a semi synthetic blend.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you must change to a full synthetic, Mobil 1 0W-30 would be a better choice since the 2G Prius is spec'd to use 5W-30. Especially if you are concerned about engine oil consumption, there is no point moving to a thinner viscosity oil (which 0W-20 would be, compared to 5W-30.)

If you are changing the oil at 5K mile intervals, your engine is doing very well considering it has logged 202K miles. This is very normal, don't worry about it and just make sure the oil level stays above the bottom dimple on the dipstick in between oil changes.

Well, your engine has done very well with 5W-30 conventional up to this point. There is no great reason to make a change.

Toyotally04 likes this.
  11. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For years, the original owner of my 2005 changed oil every 3 months, at the dealer.
    In 2012, he switched to 5w-20, again every 3 months at the dealer. I bought it in mid-2015.

Not burning any oil as of March, 2016. I change every 6 months. 5w-30 blend.
    . . . Now if I can just get the oil change crew to stop putting in four quarts instead of .... you know.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is the spec'd quantity?

That's one thing our local dealership (who's doorstep I never darken) does right. Soon after purchase we went to an open-house for new owners, toured the service department: they had graduated pitchers at the ready, drawn from a large bulk oil supply (Ed the Fox will be along shortly to extol the perils of bulk oil, no matter), so no "just dump in the rest of the bottle".

13. Revans_3

Revans_3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update. I'm 1,200 miles in from my last oil change. Have not lost any oil at all! Oil is really clean as well. I mainly asked because Valvoline suggested I change to a max life extended blend and more frequent oil changes. 3K instead of 5K. After reading some comments it makes sense that they say that to generate more business. Just happy I got some great input! And even happier I checked the oil levels and everything looks great. No drips or leaks under the Prius.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Be cognisant: any oil with the description "high mileage" is designed to swell rubber, such as valve guides. It should be used as a last resort with an oil burning engine, and once you start using it you pretty much have to stick with it: reverting to non high mileage oil will cause the rubber to shrink more than it was to begin with, with greatly increased oil consumption.

Eastside likes this.
  15. Rithy

Rithy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm using Prius 2008 with 180k mileage. Should I use the 10W-40 instead of 5W-30 for such a hot weather in Cambodia?

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    THIS.

If it isn't using any oil between changes.........don't change anything.
    And certainly don't switch to a thinner oil.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe.
    ONLY if it is using more oil than what has been "normal" in the past.
    But it certainly won't hurt.