1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius ok for 2 toddlers? 1 FF, 1 RF

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cherryapple, Feb 16, 2011.

1. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    LOL, when I first read the title of this post I thought, Na, their legs wouldn't reach the pedals, but then I though, well maybe yes, if one works the pedals and the other steers. :D

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gen III has alot more rear bench space then Gen II

A few ideas:
    - why don't you go to dealership with kid/chairs and try it out?
    - Also if the space tight, with all money you save on gas you can get a different seat?
    - you rear facing toddler will not be rear facing in a few month, it may be looked at as temporary inconvenience or you can wait with the purchase
    - move one kid to front?

3. x838nwy

x838nwy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not for driving. Not even both at the same time.

4. akarusso

akarusso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    NO WAY!!! I have a roundabout in the middle. Very tight even with one seat. Occasionally my daughter stretches her leg and kicks me:)

5. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We use a Sunshine Kids Radian 65 in the back of my 2010 Prius. My toddler has ridden in it since she was ~1 year old (too big for infant carseat). She's now approaching 2½. It's narrower than most, and allows two older girls (15½ and almost 10) to also sit back there. I suppose with two, you MIGHT get an adult back there, but again, it'd be cramped, and you'd have to be of smaller stature.

Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Radian65 SL Convertible Car Seat, Granite: Baby

My wife has a Britax Roundabout 40 in her 2004 Prius (more padding, wider). I don't imagine you'd get two of those in + an adult (or a child) comfortably, or anything larger.

Amazon.com: Britax Roundabout Convertible Car Seat Jessica: Baby

1 person likes this.
  7. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Good suggestion! The Radian is a carseat often used to fit well in 3-across situations and to give more room when seat width is at a premium. It is not only narrow, but doesn't flare much at the legs or shoulders, so it also helps for adjacent passengers who aren't in carseats.

Installing with a seatbelt instead of LATCH may also help, as it may allow you to shift the installation toward the door a bit. I have not tried it, but I suspect there's a reasonable chance to fit one FF, one RF and have enough room for a teen or smaller adult, at least for short trips. If I had a second Radian on hand I'd test it for you.

I can try something else for you that might work if you still need ideas. A RF Radian plus a Safety 1st Go Hybrid seat for the FF child. I can get you a photo of that, if you like. I'm using the predecessor of the Go in our 2010 Prius right now.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had no problem using latch and getting the seat close enough to the door. Any closer and she's FAR more tempted to operate the door locks, windows, etc (which are kiddie locked, but the windows may not always be). There's also the problem of seat contour tilting the seat if you're too close to the door.

When forward-facing, I also use the tether from behind, so there's a reason to keep it somewhat centered.

9. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry about that- I should have been more clear that the rest of the advice was for the original poster if they were still watching this thread:)

10. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have two grand kids that sit fine in two car seats, plus their mom in the back. Their 6'2" dad sits in the front. I do not know the brand of seats, but if the fit is too tight for you, why not get smaller seats? Two carriages fold up and fit in the hatch area. The longest we have travelled in this configuration is about 100 miles, and than we also had luggage.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've also had a couple of grandkids in the back, no problems. Like any car it has a strong point for the back strap, on seat back. It also has those strong points between the back and seat pillows: the kind that take a child seat strap connector that looks kind of like a bic lighter.

3 seats in the back might be an issue, depending on how wide they were.

12. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have 2 brittax large car seats in back seat ,2 and 3 years old kids, both front facing (one behind the driver seat, one in middle). In the Prius this leaves limited amount in the open seat behind the passenger seat. Enough room for a small person, but not much extra and could be a little tight. We make it work.

Best of luck

13. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know this thread is a little old , but here is a picture

a small adult can fit in the empty space , but it is a little tight

Attached Files:

14. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice pic, but won't work because baby in middle will distract small adult by throwing up just to get the cell phone so baby on other end can call stock broker and make a trade that looses way too much money! Sorry, but this stuff happens. :p