1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius on highway - a bit of disappointment

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bear4, Feb 18, 2012.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At various speeds, the Prius has various fuels saving strategies, by 75 MPH+ aerodynamics is everything. Do you need two outside mirrors? Can you lower your car and not scrape in day to day driving? How often do you listen to the radio? Can you block the grill at the temperature you drive? Would skinnier tires still hold the weight? How silly will you feel covering your car with baby powder?

2. bear4

bear4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How hard was it to remove the carpet and all plastic trim to get access to these areas? Did you get it down to the bare metal floor and apply the insulation to the metal floor and wheel wells? Did you have any problems putting it back together?

3. bear4

bear4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How would baby powder help :eek:?

4. ewilke

ewilke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    there is a nut on the lower a pillar trim by the carpet on the firewall
    the the rest just clips in, the gas door release has a 10mm bolt and 1 tab holding it the only thing is there is a electric distribution under each cover but it is easy to unclip and lift out of the way. under the carpet is some padding and foam inserts that clip in then I folded the carpet and pad out of the way to get to the metal.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    2 people like this.
  6. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are doing fine. My Prius on a 100 mile trip with VERY few stops 55 mph cruise nearly flat got 62.1....the 96 Geo Metro 3 banger 5 speed that I had, being lightened by 140 lbs but mechanically bone stock netted a best of 60.0...the Prius bested the half size car easily! My next best mpg car is an old 95 SOHC Neon 5 speed rated at 39 mpg. With a better flowing cat, cold air intake, TB from one with an automatic (slightly larger), cheap V8 Camaro muffler, and removal of the power steering gets a best of 46 at 55, but drops to 40 at 65, and down to only 36 at 70-75.

7. soldierguardian

soldierguardian New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I averaged 47 MPG most of time (except when temp was below freezing--then 43MPG) with my '08 Prius driving 60 mile round trip to/from work in DC. Most of it was highway (I95) driving 75MPH.

Just brought my new 2011 Prius home tonight, but I am certain it will deliver higher MPG.