1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius operating temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by EugeneL, Feb 14, 2020.

1. EugeneL

EugeneL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I have a scan gauge II installed on Prius. My daily commute is about 2 miles one way. I understand this may not be good for the engine. I live in Florida. What engine temperature you should hit before you park your car? what is the operating temperature of your Prius if you have a scan gauge or similar device installed on your Prius generation III? Thank you for sharing.

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If I remember correctly it's around 190-195 degrees F.

EugeneL likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have the similar Prius v, same engine. Once up to temp, it levels out at 195F. I would try to get above 190 at least once a week..

EugeneL likes this.
  4. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The thermostat opens at 192 degrees F. which is the engine operating temperature. In most cars, the coolant reaches operating temperature a minute or two before the oil.

Blow-by, as it is often called, is the result of combustion material from the combustion chamber "blowing" past the piston rings and into the crankcase. These blow-by gases, if not ventilated, inevitably condense and combine with the oil vapor present in the crankcase, forming sludge or causing the oil to become diluted with unburned fuel.

The vapors and the blow-by gasses will be removed from the crankcase by the PCV valve and fed into the engine for burning. The warmer the oil is, the more likely that any moisture and contaminants in the crankcase oil can be transformed from liquids to vapors and extracted too.

You are lucky that you are in Florida where the morning temperatures are much higher than the rest of the country. It was 12 F. here this morning. Our cars would take longer to ever reach that operating temperature.

To be on the safe side, you could take a longer drive once a week just to make sure any condensates turn into vapor and are evacuated.

EugeneL likes this.
  5. EugeneL

EugeneL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you.

Great idea. Thank you.

Thank you so much for taking the time with the details.

#5 EugeneL, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2020