1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius or BMW 5 series?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pshady, Jul 26, 2004.

1. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I waiting for my Prius (Since March) and going from my 2002 Acura MDX. Any way you look at it, the Prius is one of the coolest cars around, and should stay that way.

2. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I waiting for my Prius (Since March) and going from my 2002 Acura MDX. Any way you look at it, the Prius is one of the coolest cars around, and should stay that way.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One of the things I loved about my Civic was the sporty handling. It was very nimble. I traded in a Jeep CJ5 for it. In 1976 I lived on a dirt road and wanted the 4WD for our winters, but it was a piece of cr@p. The Civic did not have much power, but I loved the handling.

The Prius has more power than the Civic, and lots more torque, but its handling is a lot softer. More of an old man's car. Which is what I am now, so that works for me.

4. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

Re: your thoughts

HEY! I am a teen and I bought a PRIUS! Hah, no but seriously... I understand what you mean. Alll the dumb kids my age want to get a fast car that can go over the speed limit in less than 5 secs so that they can get tickets and wreck their beautiful babies. I took the Prius as the smart choice because I am sort of the smart-teen-consumer?

Anyway, I am also a Mac user... so that would make me qualify as "Thinking Different" as Apple puts it, by owning a Prius and two Macintosh computers. Anyway, I have 3,400 miles on my Prius and let me tell you, when adults go for a ride with me, they feel as if they are riding in a luxury car.

My dad's friends who owns a 750li hopped in the Prius and was amazed at how smooth the ride was and how all the technology could come at such a cheap price. The Prius has most of the features you would find in a $50,000+ luxury care and it even has some that you wont find in those cars, and it still costs 1/4 the price of those cars.

Any way that you put it, the Prius is a smart buy... if you are willing to stand the wait. But of course there is a solution to the wait for everyone who is as impatient as I am. Find that solution here:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....p?p=29446#29446

5. Batavier

Batavier Member

My first reaction to the question BMW 5 or Prius was:

:roll: BMW 5 of course

But then I started thinking about it. What if I could choose between a BMW 5 and a Prius and the price was exactly the same (don't know about prices in the USA, but the BMW 5 is at least twice as expensive as a Prius).

Which one would I choose? First let me state that I haven't driven in the new BMW 5 yet, so I may change my mind after I've driven one... but I think I would choose the Prius. The ride in this car is so much different and so much fun. I've driven lots of cars (small, large, luxurious, spartan) but the Prius really offers a different ride and experience.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ptpiz: One quarter of $50,000 is $12,500. Pretty hard to find a Prius for that!

As for the eBay link, this subject has been discussed, and no reputable dealer will respect the sale of a spot on the waiting list. - Of course, there are Prius available today for anyone willing to pay enough. But "enough" tends to be a lot more than $1,000 over MSRP.

7. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: your thoughts

I feel better seeing you say that about fast cars vrs Prius. All my friends and others my age (i'm 23) are all for the fast cars. They look down on my decision to go with the Prius instead of something speedy (though yes, I do love speedy cars, but one must be realistic here). Glad to see I'm not weird for my age!

8. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm 18 myself, and I really do think that getting a fast car is a bit much. Sometimes you might need the power if you live in a very hilly place, sure, but not that much power.

In my mind, the money I might spend on an engine could be used to invest for, oh, say...my future children's education? To pay so much money simply for the engine (other luxury features are a little more practical, I'll give that) is just flat-out a waste of money. In all seriousness, find a way to change the numbers on a BMW to make it look like it has the bigger engine. Nobody would ever doubt you, and your kids will thank you for their college educations :mrgreen:

9. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Heh, I do live in a very hilly place. But seems that the Prius takes hills well enough not to worry me.