1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius or Corolla?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mjhcftuhgg, Apr 17, 2018.

1. mjhcftuhgg

mjhcftuhgg New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last car was 2003 Honda Civic I bought used for $5k. Was fine, except I felt it was at the mechanic a lot, as I took it from 110k to 220k miles. My overall average was 30 MPG (= city MPG spec).

This time I can spend maybe $8k to $12k? I'm looking at Toyotas because people say they're more reliable.

I drive about 15k miles/year, moderate stop-and-go traffic. I'm not good at making decisions and don't have strong "car desires". It's just utilitarian for the most part. I guess I have a strong desire to not have it break down a lot, because that results in me being stranded and stressed.

Prius:
    • Should be cheaper over the life of the car, due to lower gas and repair costs (according to my somewhat crude analysis)
    • More cargo volume?
    • Can't be put into neutral if it breaks down?
    • Not as good in snow or dirt roads (camping)?
    • Worse visibility out the back?
    • I have enough savings for the big repairs if needed (but no one to drive me around while it's out of service)
    • People will make fun of me if I drive one? :D I already got mocked just for test-driving one.

Corolla
    I test-drove a Prius and it was eerily quiet but otherwise fine; felt like driving anything else. I sat in the back and it was fine.
    I haven't actually driven a Corolla, but I imagine it's not much different from the Civic.

Anything else I should consider? Any advice? Am I dumb for only considering these two models?

bisco likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, that pretty much mirrors what I would've said lol. Except the snow part - I know it handles just fine with winter tires BUT I don't have to drive in the heavy wet snow that you get in NY. Mine is dry snow and I do drive on compact snow as the city leaves a 5cm (2.5") layer of snow on the road to minimise road damage from constant plowing.

RCO and mjhcftuhgg like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We bought a Prius because it has more interior space than a Corolla. For a test we compared putting a medium sized dog crate in the back seat of my 208 Corolla vs. putting it in my son's 2015 Prius v. The Prius v has more cargo space than the Prius but the back seat space is similar.
    For me, I doubt the fuel savings over a Corolla would pay for the difference. We kept and still drive the 2008 Corolla at times. I think the most major repair was the difficult replacement of the serpentine belt. The Prius has no belts.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    corolla. all the best!(y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    we have found the prius to be great in Minnesota winters- that never, ever seem to end. In fact, we are due for more snow today. Gross! Good luck with your purchase.

RCO, mjhcftuhgg and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. mjhcftuhgg

mjhcftuhgg New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (Oops this forum doesn't email notify by default.)

Ok... but why?

bisco likes this.
  7. mjhcftuhgg

mjhcftuhgg New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to my estimations (over 5 years), Prius would save about $3.3k in gas, save maybe $1k in repairs (based on TUV and TrueDelta repair reports), and cost maybe $2k more, if cost is averaged out over lifetime, so overall is cheaper. But those repair estimates could be very off.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When using a web browser, click on your user name -> Personal Details -> Preferences

Place a checkbox here

upload_2018-4-18_11-39-20.png

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't get me wrong, this is my third prius, but i drive them from 0-50 or 60,000 miles.
    a corolla isn't likely to cost much more than prius in repairs and maintenance.
    you hit the pro's and con's in your o/p, my big thing with high mile prius is the small potential for huge repairs, and lack of qualified hybrid mechanics other than the dealer.
    if you're okay with that and your other points, go for the prius.
    all the best!(y)

mjhcftuhgg likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For older cars, I think the Corolla could handle poor maintenance practices better than the Prius. That is just my opinion though.

mjhcftuhgg likes this.
  11. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) If the 12v system is working, it can be put into neutral. Foot off the brake, hit the power button twice (on but hybrid system disabled), then shift to N and hold for 2 seconds. Car will now roll freely if the parking brake is off. I assume this isn't a hybrid specific thing but applies to any modern car with pushbutton ignition and an electronic parking mechanism.

2) For snow and dirt roads it's in the same league as a Civic or Corolla, which is to say much better than a rear drive muscle car, and not as good as a 4x4 pickup. What will limit you is ground clearance, and the difference between 4" and 5" is relatively insignificant when you're talking about a foot of snow or a dirt road in mud season.

3) Probably better visibility in the Prius. That vertical window below the spoiler would be sheet metal on a sedan. It provides great visibility for backing up. The spoiler does block some of the view, but it's actually nice because it's right at the headlight level of a lot of cars which greatly cuts down on glare.

RCO likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) can drain the 12 volt battery. It is not recharged from the traction battery in that mode.

RCO likes this.
  13. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, you certainly don't want to flat tow it behind your RV for 1000 miles this way. Point is, you don't need the HV battery or ICE to push it out of a parking spot or garage if it can't move under its own power.

And when towing most cars, you don't want the drive wheels turning in neutral for a long time because the transmission pump is probably driven by the engine, not the driveshaft.

RCO likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some people might leave a car in neutral with wheel blocks though. That would not work well for a Prius

15. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if you pulled the cable off the 12V battery while it was in neutral, if it would stay that way? After all, it wouldn't have power to engage park, unless it was spring loaded or something.

"Why is Tom pushing his Prius down the street with the battery cable hanging out?" "Oh, he's trying to prove a point online" :)

RCO, Tideland Prius and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, cars like my wife's Escape need the old fashioned key turned to the ACC position to be put in neutral, and you can't take the key out unless it's in park. That will run the battery down too.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. the parking pawl solenoid would not have power.

Trying to push it like that would be a real drag. :D

18. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If it were a new car Prius without a doubt, should be good for150 to 200K trouble free miles, used is another matter as there is a possibility of expensive repairs for the hybrid system.
    The thing to remember that the Prius has a 10 year 150k mile warranty on the hybrid system (Carb states), so if you can find a low mileage 14 or 15 Prius for 12k you might want to take a shot, if not find a Corolla.

19. ltwhiteagle

ltwhiteagle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just had the very same dilemma a month ago, deciding between a Corolla (latest gen) and Prius (gen 3).

1. RELIABILITY - my gen 2 Prius had 267k miles before the batteries died and I sold it. Cost of ownership was about 6 cents a mile. The only maintenance beside regular oil changes was brakes and bearings at 220k miles. Ymmv of course, but it's worth saying. Corolla is a fine car, but I read somewhere that the latest gen shared the same chassis/body ? with the previous gen so it wasn't really much of an upgrade vs previous gen.

2. RESALE - Long term resell, I put on about 25k miles a year, significantly more than you, but after researching the used market for several months, I clearly noticed the Prius's maintained their resale value better than Corollas, I was seeing 6 year old 80k mile Prius's go for similar prices as 3 year old 40k miles corolla's so to me that says something. I picked up my 2012 Prius III with leather heated seats with 98k miles in great condition, clean title for $8k in May, 2018. I think if I put on another 75k miles or so before I sell it and maintained it in good condition clean title, I figuring I could get about $5k for it, so monthly ownership cost would be under $85 a month or 4 cents a mile, so it seems like a wiser purchase decision than a Corolla.

4. ROOM - Prius has more room usable room than Corolla after driving both in my opinion. I'm a big guy and the Prius offers a lot of headroom and shoulder room and a higher driving height for better visibility. The hatchback trunk is also bigger than it looks, I could easily pack for a week's camping trip for 2 in the trunk with a full size dog taking up the back seats (coolers, chairs, tents, cooking bins, etc.)

5. SNOW - Living in WI, I didn't have a single issue with my gen 2 prius in winter as long as it had decent all-season tires. I thought the Viva 3 tires wore the best and maintained traction for the longest out of the 5 sets of tires I went through

6. ECONOMY - I'm avg 44.6 with a/c on almost full-time, mostly highway (65-75mph). Corolla would be several deviations lower than those numbers.

All of these factors ultimately helped my choose a Prius and I'm very happy and don't regret my decision whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, in my opinion the Corolla is better looking and and after test driving it, I liked the drive experience better vs the Prius. But for me, being 34 in grad school part time and working full time, the factors above outweighed the good looks and more fun driving, at least for this stage in my life.

RCO likes this.
  20. Aimer

Aimer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’ve owned both. 2005 Corolla that I drove for 12 years and 100k+ miles, a family member bought it and it’s still going strong at 200k miles with minimal maintenance in its lifetime. I bought a 2015 Prius new and I can tell you the handling of both cars is about the same in the snow (KC area, so we get some snow) and the passenger areas feel comparable. The cargo area is bigger in the Prius due to the hatchback, but with the seats down in a Corolla you can fit a disassembled crib. Camping in the Prius with the car running to use a/c is an interesting/unique experience, gas is a bit cheaper filling the Prius than the Corolla, and you have a cargo cover to hide things in the cargo area, making it more trunk like. Personally, I feel like the Prius has more blind spots but you get used to them. I really like my Prius and I really liked my Corolla (it was a manual transmission).