1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius or Lexus RX450h?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by drumslinger, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tough question. I do like the HUD that's available on the RX450h (although in Canada, that requires getting the top model which throws in LED headlights, nav, RSES.. so yuo can see it's a very pricey package).

I'd probably stick with the Prius for mpg, emissions, cooler tech (solar panels), lower maintenance, lower insurance costs and it doesn't make me look like a snob (maybe when I'm older and a Lexus is more appropriate but not now)

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For years I'd been dreaming of owning the RX450h, so I'd have to go with the Lexus. Now that I own the Prius, though...it might be tough to swallow the hit to mpg, but I still love the look of the 450h.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll take the one in Aurora White Pearl.

4. drumslinger

drumslinger future hybrid owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your great replies, folks. The real dilemma I am facing is not financial; I can afford to buy the Lexus. My issue is moral. I consider myself a green person. I recycle, reuse, am environmentally sensitive, etc. So I told myself that my next car would be a hybrid. Alas, that is not turning out to be a simple choice. First off, as someone mentioned, my first requirement is that my drums fit, which is why I've eliminated a slew of cars, such as sedans and mini-cars. The Prius, as I discovered, does indeed hold my drums, albeit without much room to spare. I might be in trouble if I wanted to carry more gear. But it's doable.

The Prius is and has been, the poster-child car for greenies and those who seek maximum mpg's. And that is a powerful siren. But there are compromises along the way, such as ride comfort, road noise and build quality -- the ahhhh factor. This is where the Lexus 450h shines. It is still a hybrid, although the mpg's are in the 30 range, with all the other hybrid environmental benefits intact, such as low emissions, engine shut-down at idle, etc. It does require premium fuel, though, which is a negative, but not a deal breaker.

[I did, by the way, consider the Highlander Hybrid (too big, and fugly) and the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner (boxy, virtually unchanged since 2001, coarse engine, rough, noisy ride...).]

Soooo, would the Lexus 450h be an acceptable compromise between my green leanings and creature comfort desires?

Stay tuned...

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CT200h (coming next year) may be too small for your drums. It may not since it has higher roof line.

The Alpha Prius (with 3rd row) is coming soon too. You'll have more choices in a year or so.

6. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    id get the lexus. more comfort, looks like a regular car. nobody would know its a hybrid by looking on the outside.

people like luxury. now if gas was $5/gallon, maybe a fully loaded prius instead. or id just get the lexus and trade it in lol

7. psu77

psu77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can speak from experience since I own both a a RX450h & a 2010 Prius. The RX is getting between 28-29 mpg (after 10k miles) and the Prius gets about 53 mpg (after 15k miles). If you love comfort, go for the RX.

8. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Soooo, would the Lexus 450h be an acceptable compromise between my green leanings and creature comfort desires?

Stay tuned...[/QUOTE]

As a LEED accredited Greenie I say take the difference and upgrade the energy features on your home...that way you:

A. Help the economy and put some construction workers to work

B. Save energy on your biggest energy Hog YOUR HOUSE (assuming you don't live in a LEED platinum apartment building).

Just a thought.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    USB made a good point... what about the Prius Alpha? It's like like a Prius MPV...

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure what type of emissions you're focused on but if it's on the matter of what the EPA considers pollutants (which didn't include CO2), the Prius scores better. As About the Ratings | Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA states, this includes "tailpipe emissions that contribute to local and regional air pollution, creating problems such as smog, haze, and health issues" that include:
    If you want to compare greenhouse gases, that is directly proportional to the amount of fuel burned. Per the mileage numbers at Side-by-Side Comparison and the annual driving assumptions there (which you can personalize), the Prius would emits 3.8 tons of CO2/year vs. 6.2 tons (2WD) or 6.5 tons (AWD) for the RX450h.

One can see how others due on GHGes and pollution scores at Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA by checking both checkboxes on the right and selecting 2010, then your state. There are a # of non-hybrids that do well on the air pollution score but no non-hybrids that get a 10 on the GHG score.

11. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Lexus is very green by SUV standards but the Prius does at least 20 mpg better. The Prius has a lot of room for a small/midsize car. It drives well, it's comfortable, and the power isn't THAT bad. The Prius lacks certain convenience features that you'll get in the Lexus like power/memory seats, mirrors, and steering wheel. The Lexus is bigger and more comfortable inside and the ride is more refined. The Prius will be $20k cheaper than the Lexus but you said you don't care about cost.

We have a 2008 RX400h and a 2010 Prius (wife's commuter car bought in the C4C program). We like both. But, if you had to choose which car you'd rather drive on a daily basis, the Lexus wins hands down.

MY daily driver switches between my 2001 BMW 330Ci rag-top and the Lexus. The BMW generally wins out and it gets terrible mpg compared to the Lexus, but it's fun to drive.

12. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are not already a millionaire, would you prefer 20K in your pocket or 40k added debt? Back in the day, people used to save up money to buy a car instead of building debt.

I bought my Prius using money I put into a "vehicle account" for 2 years. No financing, no debt, the car is mine.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought my Lexus in cash and I'm by no means a millionaire.

14. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, of course no doubt I can buy a Lexus or a BMW all cash too.....but I'm saving for my Buggatti. You can enjoy "imitation" luxury now, I will enjoy one of the worlds top real luxury cars later.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see how Lexus (or any other luxury marque) is an imitation. If anything, I'd say a Rolls-Royce trumps your Bugatti in terms of luxury.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because I care more about emissions output and fuel efficiency I would choose the Prius.

When I purchased my Prius I could afford just about any regular car on the market including high end Lexus and BMWs but I still chose my lil GenII.

17. BCDelta

BCDelta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been driving a LexusRX450h for a year. The other day I purchased a 2008 Prius for the kids to learn to drive in. I LOVE it and always choose this vehicle to drive over the Lexus . I am seriously considering trading the Lexus in ... So, my answer is the Prius. It is far more fun and practical.

18. drumslinger

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No can do. The lease on my present vehicle ends this Dec., so waiting until 2012 (or ?) is out of the question.

19. drumslinger

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be test driving both next month, so my body will tell me. One of the things I like about my Saturn SUV is the ride height. I can just slide into the front seat without having to climb or plop, and getting out is just as easy. If the Prius is too low and it's a pain (literally, with my arthritis) to get up and out of, then that will definitely factor into my decision.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darn...