1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius order window

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DianneWhitmire, Nov 4, 2011.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If the PiP is in such demand, that they sell out fast, Toyota is really, really good at figuring that out, they'll make more. I'm not really sure why Dianne is so worried about it, this is what they do for a living, they make cars. If its a CARB play (its not, because they are selling in non-CARB states), they could be losing money on each one, but they aren't, they are either breaking even or making money, so, they'll MAKE MORE.

On that note, there will be one more availble in MA, because I am going to let this one slip through my hands, yep, not going to bother.

3. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  4. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, same here. I got the e-mail too and I'm very happy for the people who were also pre-registered. Too many dislikes for me, colors, lack of sunroof and no power out option. For a car that would make the ultimate emergency generator, it boggles the mind why they would only offer this in Japan.
    There will be one mone PIP available in N.Y. as well. For the rest of you who are going through with your order, all the best with your new PIP, please post pics of your new baby.

5. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  6. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A simple observations from a Newbie - who is just SomeRandomIdiot

I am simply amazed at the number of Toyota Dealers on the East Coast who think they are in control of this allocation and have decided to only offer the PiP at MSRP *OR AT A PREMIUM*.

They clearly have not got the message that customer directs where this car is going and as thus, thus the customer has ultimate control. It is not coming out of the Dealers allocation, because, in all likelyhood, there will be no Dealer Allocation.

There are clearly a few Dealers that get it - but thus far, most don't understand the concept....yet.

Bottom line, some money for a car that will otherwise not see your lot is better than no money for simply doing the paperwork.

1 person likes this.
  7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll try not to be too disappointed if I miss the opportunity to spend $40,000 on a car! :D ...and this isn't even a Lexus! :eek:

That said, I know Dianne is one of the few sales people in the country that will actually be paying attention and doing everything she can to get her customers' orders confirmed ASAP. My only worry is how is she going to get all 900 of her PIP orders confirmed at the same time, since I know she must have enough pre-registrants to glom onto half the California allocation! :rockon:

8. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, I'm registered and I haven't received any email to date...

9. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I registered just to get the e-mails for curiosity sake and don't plan to order.

10. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't plan to miss the opportunity to order a PiP, but I can't reach the level of concern which Dianne expresses.

Toyota is not a new company like Tesla or Fisker, the PiP is essentially the same car as the popular Prius which has been in and remains in production, Toyota has a track record of producing what they say they will produce, and Toyota has clearly demonstrated that they want to be a player in this part of the car market. If they will loose some money on this product, it will not be much and as one of the largest car makers in the world, they are in a position to absorb that level of loss.

Enjoy your PiPs, those of you who choose to order.

11. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  12. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But I did not even get the email so I am worried that my confirmations won't get there also. Using gmail.....

1 person likes this.
  13. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Young lady (I think it is safe to say that since I have 78 summers behind me) the fiduciary responsibility of Toyota to its investors includes remaining competitive with those other companies who are challenging the primacy of the Prius. The company will not choke on a few dollars or yen in that process.

If one counts the "hits" on the PHV portion of Prius Chat, there are at most a few hundred regular followers of this car. That includes the "lurkers".

You, personally likely will handle AT LEAST 15% of the California allocation so you can multiply from that alone to come up with a number.

It has been speculated that 20% of those who registered will actually purchase a PiP in the first year. If 40,000 registered, that is 8000 purchases. That, of course compares to the 5000 number which you mention and which has no authoritative source that I know of. There are no hard numbers here so anyone is free to guess, of course. Toyota very likely knows pretty well how many cars they will sell and plans to build as many cars as are needed to meet the demand.

You can and will handle yourself and your customers. The rest of us will be fine. Can you live with that?

14. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't try to deny it. By now we all know about your nefarious scheme to control every single Toyota sale in the State of California. Today, California, tomorrow the world!

16. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Amen to that! I like keeping great dealers in business!

17. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.

I thought Toyota is making RAV4EV & iQ EV for CARB. But PIP is the mainstream plug-in they want to make and sell all over the US - mainly to compete with Volt.

BTW, there is some confusion about CARB that I see in many posts. The new 2013 requirement to actually sell plug-ins (and BEVs) is CA only. I don't think it applies to other "carb states". I'd like to see any links if anyone thinks I'm wrong.

18. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, most likely correct. It turns out that the non-CARB states that follow CARB guidlines, are, for the most part trying to enact other parts too, such as HOV lane access, no sales tax on EVs, state rebate incentives, etc. It's also that these same states have high population densities, and issues with air pollution in their cities, so although not a legal requirement, the states are looking to sweeten the deal for buyer of these cars. These same states also have their share of "green" buyers, and also places where the Prius has been selling well...

19. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    WA is a "carb state".

WA State Licensing: Clean Car emission requirements

But, that just means the vehicles sold here should pass CA emission rules. There is no requirement for manufacturers to sell a certain # of ZEV or PZEV vehicles.

BTW, CA doesn't have 0 sales tax on EVs. WA does. WA has also rejected ideas about HOV access - stating there are already too many cars in HOV lanes.

20. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 16 other states that have adopted CARBs emissions guidelines:

HowStuffWorks "CARB"

There is no LEGAL requirement, that however does not mean there isn't a "market" for buyers. My state (MA) has been trying to allow HOV lane access for single car drivers of EV's/PHEVs, and there is talk of elliminating sales tax on these cars as well. It's all talk so far, as due to the conditions we find ourselves in this economy, talk of lowering auto sales tax income is a non-starter for now.