1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS OUT-OF-CONTROL IN HEAVY WIND !!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FloridaWen, May 22, 2007.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll add my two cents to those who mentioned the tight steering. We get wind in this part of Michigan like you can't believe, and at first I found the Prius quite skittish. Mostly I was over controlling, reacting to each just rather than letting the Prius have its head. Once I loosened my grip and stopped over controlling, the Prius handles just fine. It's not the most stable car I've ever driven, but it does just fine. I did switch from the crappy OEM tires, but yours being a touring model, you shouldn't have that problem. I think your wife will do fine once she gets used to it.

Tom

2. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 23 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]448576[/snapback]</div>
    Tom, I think you are correct when you (and many others) say my Wife is not used to the "very responsive" Prius steering and she is "over compensating" a little bit too much. Today on her way home, it was actually much more windy than yesterday on the highway. Today she was going about 60 - 65 MPH (speed limit is 70) and she tried to "compensate" LESS and she TRIED to "relax" but she said she still gripped the steering wheel tightly with both hands and was overly aware of the situation every second !! Now on that same highway, this morning, with NO wind, she had coffee cup in one hand (actually in console to mouth and back again) driving leisurely, listening to the radio and really enjoying her ride to work (about 25 miles each way, mainly highway).

Even though we have "better" tires on the Touring than the non-touring, they are still just "so-so" and very "slippery" tires. Certainly NOT my first (or even second) choice in a "performance tire" !!

I also am REALLY hoping that the BT BRACE will help, even on this "stiffer" '07 TOURING Prius !!
    :rolleyes:

3. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(okiebutnotfrommuskogee @ May 23 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]448565[/snapback]</div>
    This is GREAT to hear............ THANKS for the confidence that I am not wasting my money on it. Even if it improves handling as little as 5% (and I hope it does way more !!) It will ultimately be worth the $165 I spent on it !!

I hope it works as well with the TOURING model as it has on so many non-tourings that I read about !!
    :rolleyes:

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How many times do you have to point out that you have the TOURING model???

5. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

I've said it before, but the Prius drives like an old Jeep Wrangler with a soft top without the noise. At least on the Wrangler the noise level was a warning to be careful.

Just today I was at 70mph on the G. Bush Turnpike when I passed 75 going East. At that point the road is unshielded to the wind and is also elevated a few stories up. The wind was very gusty and it almost blew me into the lane to the left several times. I estimate that I was counter-steering at my personal human maximum. Any higher wind speed or vehicle speed, and I would have been blown far enough into the lane next to me to hit another vehicle. I consider myself pretty good at highway driving - even in high wind I always could always keep my previous vehicles perfectly straight. I just came from driving a lifted 2004 Discovery, which is a pretty high-profile vehicle, and the Prius is harder to drive in these condiitons.

Let your wife get used to the vehicle. Her counter-steering skills will improve. If she doesn't have extensive highway driving experience (you drive on all the long trips), then she will have a harder time. Let her get to know the vehicle and know her limits in the wind. The handling of the Prius at high speed in gusty wind is it's one really big flaws, but like the Wrangler it's a trade-off. The Wrangler suffers on the highway to give you off road ability - the Prius suffers the same fate to give you higher MPG.

6. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 23 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]448637[/snapback]</div>
    I "point-it-out" because the Touring has a DIFFERENT SUSPENSION, DIFFERENT TIRES (size and brand) than a NON-Touring............ what might be "good" and work well with a regular, NON-Touring might just not be correct with the Touring suspension and/or Touring tires............
    :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ May 23 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]448537[/snapback]</div>
    My Wife and I have learned quite a lot from your post......... THANKS !!!!
    $165 is a lot of $$ to plunk down for a piece of metal (BT PLATE) that might not work as expected.......... you have given us some great reassurance...............
    :) B)

Like I wrote before, I will "experiment" with the TIRE PRESSURE after I install the BT PLATE !!
    ;)

8. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 23 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]448084[/snapback]</div>
    After discussing the matter at length with "The Driver" (Wife) :D we have decided that it just might be quite a bit (not all) due to Driver's OVER-COMPENSATING !! Remember, just one week ago, she was driving a mid-sized SUV, an '03 Acura MDX (all wheel drive)...... it's only been 5 days in the new Prius !!

By-the-way............ I see you are in New Haven, CT. I was born in Milford, CT, got my Associates in New Haven, and other degrees in Bridgeport (B.E.I.). At 48 years old we moved out of CT (in 2000) and down to Florida. :D

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 23 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]448667[/snapback]</div>
    Lighten up, Francis.

It was only a joke.

I just get a kick out of how you are always putting TOURING in your posts. The capitalization just kills me. :D

Anyway, the BT Plate is going to behave the same on your Prius as it would any other. It is stiffening the chassis and does that regardless of the tires or suspension. The BT Plate is agnostic in that regard. It is just a piece of metal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 23 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]448678[/snapback]</div>
    So, are you telling us that we have essentially just wasted an entire day debating solutions to a problem that didn't really exist? :blink:

As the old adage goes, "The quickest way to a better handling car is to check for a loose "nut" behind the wheel." :D

10. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well take it from someone who drives a Prius in the flat, wind-swept landscape of "Blowing Green" ... The prius is more succeptable to lateral winds than many other cars (i noticed the difference on the Interstate within days of trading in My 2002 Beetle for a 2006 Prius.. however, the car is not 'out of control' or 'unmanageable' as many posts have claimed over the last several years... We get a LOT of wind here... we have 4 390-foot wind turbines 3 miles west of town and they are now planning to install 30 more turbines because they are generating so much wind power from the constant winds we get here...

http://www.greenenergyohio.org/page.cfm?pageID=453

11. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

I just traded in my Acura MDX for a Prius.

Actually, I recall my biggest peeve with my MDX was that it would blow all over the road in high winds! My friends even commented on how scary it was.

While the Prius is lighter, and is proportionately taller, I bet it is an alignment issue. Don't know yet, as we have high winds in the fall and winter here, not in the late spring/summer...

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ 2007 May 23 7:30 PM) [snapback]448671[/snapback]</div>
    I'd recommend having the alignment checked before you install the brace. It won't cure any misalignment, and you can't appreciate the difference in handling if the car won't steer properly.

13. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 23 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]448680[/snapback]</div>
    Our Prius still handles "not-too-surefooted" in heavy wind, that has not changed......... perhaps an alignment problem?..... won't know until next week.......... will the BT Brace help?......... won't know until after I install it, but thanks to the many people that replied to me in this thread that it is not a complete waste of my money............ and since I was not the one driving the Prius .... it was my Wife, an experienced driver with over 38 years of driving experience, and she was driving over the exact same highway she has been driving the past 7 years with other vehicles in just as windy or even windier...... I personally can't tell you exactly how the steering felt............ I had a "talk" with her (Wife) and one of the suggestions (besides her reading ALL the replies to this thread) that I made was for her not to "over-compensate" the steering and get "used to" the new characteristics and feel of our Prius (which I got from many on this thread)........... does NOT seem like "wasted an entire day debating solutions to a problem that didn't really exist?" -or- jokingly referring to her as "a loose "nut" behind the wheel"
    :angry: :angry:

14. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 22 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]447663[/snapback]</div>
    Be aware that a Pilot Induced Oscillation may be the true root of this issue. I've got a Touring edition with the same tires as you do and I run a higher pressure (37/35). The Prius' steering is unlike other vehicles that I've driven in the past (in a good way) and it took time to get used to the veeeery small inputs required to get it to respond appropriately. Drivers that are used to ham-handing it will ultimately continue to over-correct back and forth in a cross-wind which will lead to a PIO and a perception of instability.

Here in California and especially in the areas that I drive (The previously mentioned Altamont Pass) I have had ample opportunity to acquaint myself with this phenomenon. It took me about a month to re-train myself and now I don't perceive any issues with wind instability... funny how that works and it didn't cost me a dime :rolleyes:

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 24 2007, 06:00 AM) [snapback]448898[/snapback]</div>
    Again, you need to learn to take a joke. My comments were in jest. I am sure your wife is a fine driver and a fine woman.

This entire thread is amusing to me. You have taken some knee-jerk reactions (BT Plate) to a situation that you have now mostly attributed to your wife's adaptation to the vehicle. Instead of giving her a chance to climb the learning curve, you immediately started talking about modifying the car and ordering aftermarket parts. To me, that is putting the cart before the horse.

16. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 23 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]448637[/snapback]</div>
    Well let me count them all......... including each one I also used in my "signature", the times they appear in my "quotes" back to me from other readers, and the two, used THIS quote (above) and my signature below ......... it make 32 TIMES TOTAL (so far) in 56 postings in this thread............ :D

See, I DO have a sense of humor............................. :D

17. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 24 2007, 06:33 AM) [snapback]448905[/snapback]</div>
    I am sure (now) you were just having some "fun" and "joking around" as they say........ believe it or not, I am a real "jokester" myself (used to be the class clown, getting detention almost every other day) :)
    You just caught me BEFORE my morning mug of coffee.............. :angry:
    I am better now.............. (two mugs later).............. B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 24 2007, 06:33 AM) [snapback]448905[/snapback]</div>
    In all seriousness you are somewhat correct............ remember, I am the "author" and the "interpreter" and in this case, I actually take what my Wife tells me and I write about it (in THIS particular post !!). I have NOT YET driven the six day old Prius myself (did I mention it was a TOURING model ?????????????) since we picked it up so I actually cannot give first hand experiences in THIS thread's postings any of MY OWN real-life experience, cause & effect, good and bad, of driving the new Prius in the very windy conditions. I am one of those one-handed (left hand) drivers with the right hand on the center console or by my side. I can just imagine (I was not with her then) my Wife holding onto the Prius steering with, grabbing it with BOTH hands and squeezing the wheel for "dear life" as the crosswinds swayed her partially into the lanes on her sides.
    I am almost thoroughly convinced it is "over-reaction" to the "new", extremely sensitive and responsive, Prius STEERING !!
    About that BT PLATE.............. YOU and all others reading this post next week, will get first hand reports (or if she is driving the Prius) "second hand from me" reports if it was money well spent !! :unsure:

18. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 23 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]448688[/snapback]</div>
    My wife drives a 2001 Beetle and of all the cars I have ever driven it has to be the worse ever with crosswinds, but that being said I agree that the Prius isn't anywhere near as unmanageable as many posts have claimed. I think that anyone who is a halfway decent driver shouldn't have any problems whatsoever with it, oh and same goes for the Beetle.

19. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 24 2007, 06:09 AM) [snapback]448909[/snapback]</div>
    [sarcasm]Please, please, please stop posting. You're style is making my eyes hurt with all of the quotes, caps, bold, and extended ellipses. Your ad nauseum declarations of owning the touring model is annoying too. That detail is in the first post - bolded yet - and that's enough for me.

I suggest you turn off the MFD (just because) and put a couple of thousand miles on the car before freaking out again. Otherwise, I expect to soon read about the brakes grabbing or your wife doing something else annoying. Oy vey![/sarcasm]

20. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I echo what other posters have commented on. You should have your alignment checked. I have read that shipping the vehicle on and off the carriers to place of sale can cause it to go out. I had mine checked and it was out of alignment. I had them adjust it to the specs recommended on this forum. They got as close as they could with the rear but insisted they would not use shims.