1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Overheat - P0117??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul Soldridge, May 21, 2021.

1. Paul Soldridge

Paul Soldridge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello group. Bought an 08 Prius w 144k at auction, and has bad hybrid battery - got that covered. It had a p0117 code as well, and I noticed that it got up to about 230F on the 1 mile drive home. I cleared the code with handheld. When I plugged in techstream and ran around the block, I had a code for P1121 pending - research tells me that P1121 is not related to engine cooling. When previous owner took car to dealer, it was for P0a80 and the P1121/p116. My question is - will the P0117 temp sensor cause the temp to spike?? or could it just be bad reading. My thoughts is to replace the heater switch valve and temp sensor - the one next to hybrid coolant reservoir. Any other suggestions?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Review the Repair Manual (more info) procedures for the diagnostic trouble codes you’ve mentioned.
    That might be true for other vehicles, but on second-generation Prius cars, DTC P1121 is “Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor Circuit Stuck,” which is definitely related to engine cooling.

3. Paul Soldridge

Paul Soldridge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the reply. I thought it was a separate loop. I have ordered a replacement, as it needs it either way.