1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius, overheating P1150. Coolant loss. Replaced Everything

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BillS., Jun 24, 2016.

1. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would start with the valve first and bleed the system to make sure your coolant is in good shape.

hchu1 likes this.
  2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Coolant control valve, diy cheap and relatively easy.

3. siskilla

siskilla New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did, now its worse than before...lol... the cel came on only once and went out on its own before, now its steady on even when cleared. The interval of overheating are more rapidly as before i would get days before overheating or any CEL... now when i try to add antifreeze, it shoots it out violently when as before it was mild.. aaaahh, did i finally blow the headgasket? should i use the bluedevil as mentioned in the threads? if so, is there a diy, since im not completely sure of the whole coolant flow on these hybrid systems

4. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a similar problem Prius 2008 200k, had p1118 code, notice some leaking/build up around water pump. So replaced that along with thermostat, Coolant control valve, and bled system till had heat in cabin and couldn't fill system anymore. Holds the coolant fine, but now getting bad overheats (spike to 240F). Thought it was air in the system, but nothing coming out, it goes cold in the cabin and the heat rises

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certainly sounds like you're not getting all the air out

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure the water pump was installed correctly? Correct tension on belt? Pulley turns?

7. Mark_BC

Mark_BC New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sorry to hijack this thread but my mom took the '08 into the stealership for a coolant flush on Friday. They didn't burp it properly and she drove down the road and got a warning light and it overheated. They wouldn't help her at that time and she drove it some more and got the same thing. She pulled over and left it by the highway and a friend drove her home. The dealership drove down to fix it on the side of the road. She didn't tell me any of this until today... :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

So now I'm worried the head gasket might be compromised. It might go next week or it might take 2 years...

And to top it all off because my mom seems to know best and didn't think there was any reason whatsoever to call me when this was happening, even though I do all my own work on my cars because I don't trust any mechanic.... she didn't get ANY documentation of this. She accepted their roadside repair and merrily drove away and told me about it 2 days later...

So I'm going to call them tomorrow (Monday) and demand that I get some documentation of what happened and that if the head gasket blows, they are fixing it. I will be going over to her place in a couple days and I'll go into the dealership if I have to. If I don't get anywhere then I'll stand outside on the sidewalk waving a big placard.

Does this sound reasonable? What are the chances that if the head gasket came through this OK for now, that it could go bad a year down the road with some kind of delayed failure? Our '97 4runner head gasket was wrecked when it overheated (when my mom was driving it; not her fault, but you'd think she'd at least appreciate the importance of this after that incident). I don't know how susceptible these Prius engines are to overheating compared with 4runners.

I do have an exhaust tester I could use when I go over there.

8. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry for the late reply. I got the setup working shortly afterwards, one of the new hoses from toyota had an issue. the inside had a bubble that was blocking flow. Replaced and issues went away. The internal bubble was at the top and wasn't allowing all the air to pass and when it got hot it would deform and block flow.

SFO likes this.