1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Owner Runs Inverter for Days for Power after Hurricane

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Jul 31, 2019.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1000 watt inverters have kind of become the most common size mentioned on PriusChat over the years, with a lot of reports of using them successfully. If I remember right, Bob Wilson posted instrument results showing the converter output voltage drooping slightly near full load. I would guess if he had been watching the IDH signal, it might have been asserted then also.

The converter takes good enough care of itself that I wouldn't expect it to self-destruct under a prolonged overload, but just to assert IDH, then if you haven't taken the hint, droop the output voltage slightly, and probably sooner or later say "I'm hot" or "I'm overloaded" and "I'm shutting off, sorry."

But all that being said, I probably wouldn't install more than a 1000 watt inverter in my own car, and I would try to make sure when using it that I don't have lots of other 12 volt loads going, like headlights, blower, wipers, defogger, seat heaters, or especially the supplemental electric heat, which can suck down 700 watts all by itself.

Kaptainkid1 likes this.