1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius owner seeks advice for new family vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JBJAG, Apr 22, 2006.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Apr 23 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]244092[/snapback]</div>
    I drove one for eighteen years and 218,000 miles. Yes, there were a few problems, some expensive to fix, such as the air conditioning system and power windows, but none with the engine, transmission, steering mechanism, brakes, or other major mechanical components. With proper maintenance, MB products last forever.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Apr 23 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]244092[/snapback]</div>
    I'll have to agree with IsrAmeriPrius on this. We have had many different Mercedes over the years, and not a single one had any significant problems. MB builds a quality car. Period.

Our next vehicle will be the new R500. Seats seven. Great safety. Big V8 power. Can't go wrong.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The old ones were reliable. The newer ones around the 2000-2004 mark aren't so. I do hope the new 2006 models are.

I drove the R500 in the RMB tour. DocVijay, you won't be disappointed. This thing handles like... an E500, not what you'd expect of a car of this size. And the panoramic moonroof is the largest I've ever seen! It's just two large panes of glass!

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 23 2006, 11:14 PM) [snapback]244127[/snapback]</div>
    Admittedly Mercedes had a bit of a stumble in their Borg-like assimilation of Chrysler. But once all the incompetent Americans were replaced with well-mannered Teutonic management-bots, the well oiled, German-engineered efficiency resumed. ;)

So anyway JBJAG what have you come up with yet? Any good test drives yet?

My dad just bought a Subaru Tribeca B9 to shuttle around the grandkids (i.e. my kids...) and he seems to like it. It's not his first Subaru, so it's a bit of brand allegiance. Granted, with the third row up, there is DEFINITELY no room for a dog, or much of anything, in the back.

5. Mardikes

Mardikes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JBJAG @ Apr 22 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]243728[/snapback]</div>
    The HiHy seats 7 but the 3rd bench is not that comfortable for most people. Also, it does not split.

You should check it out anyway. Might be better off towing a small trailer or loading stuff on top, for longer trips. Besides, there is the federal credit, and if you live in Colorado, their generous credit too. You might be able to negotiate a good price too.

The vehicle definitely has the power you need.

6. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Check out the Honda CR-V or the Toyota RAV

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 28 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]246857[/snapback]</div>
    These are two great cars, but if you read the requirements he posted, you'd see that these are both WAY too small.

8. JBJAG

JBJAG New Member

Hey Guys -

I still on the bench at the moment as the cost of a new Hi Hybrid doesn't realy justify the gas savings - these SUV's are expensive - love the technology - but the gas milage ain't 'that' great ..... considering the cost.

Bio Diesel excites me -

Brewing my own bio diesel does not - however for an investment of about $500 I can buy a diesel purification distillerary and basically begin making my own bio diesel from old vegtable oil. Supposedly a couple of hrs of work and you can produce 50gals of bio diesel. For arround 70c per gallon - and supposedly this stuff burns much cleaner than regular diesel.

There is a company in the Antelope Valley area / Palmdale that speciallises in bio diesel fuels so I'm gonna take a drive out there and witness the process and see a few vehicles running on the stuff. The owner of the company drives a bio diesel Excursion on a 90:10 ratio with no problems and he states that he averages 24mpg.

I still have lots of research to do on the subject and I'd rather not buy a Ford - but my choices are incredible limiting -

Another posibility is to import a (Japanese) diesel engined large SUV like the Toyota Landcruiser from abroad - the only hicup there is trying to find one that is left hand drive -

My gut is pulling me towards a local used low milage diesel Excursion and then make the transition to bio diesel - providing the collection, manufacture and storage of the bio fuel doesn't become either too time consuming, expensive or dangerous it might turn out to be a fun hobby.

I'll keep ya posted - in the mean time I'm still lovin our prius.

Cheers all

James

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it'll be hard. Most are RHD. Unless it's from France maybe?

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JBJAG @ Apr 28 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]246908[/snapback]</div>
    We've owned several Fords, and all have been great cars. Sure they've all had their flaws, but our Prius and our Volvo have theirs too. Don't be concerned about buying a Ford.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JBJAG @ Apr 28 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]246908[/snapback]</div>
    Won't happen. The costs of bringing a non-federalized car is ridiculously cost prohibitive. For a few years now a company in California called AutoRex has been importing Nissan Skylines. THey will cost you around $75k for a used one and over $100K for a new one. In Japan the same car will cost you $50-55k. The reasonis that any car that is not specifically sold her cannot be leagally imported without being certified. That means two examples for crash testing, and another for various other testing. This costs a lot of money. This would still have to be done even if it is only a different engine in a car that is already sold here (a diesel Landcruiser for example). Certainly not worth getting a few extra mpg...

Finally, diesel fuel in Japan and overseas is much cleaner (less sulfur) than diesel fuel over here. THe new standards for the US (same as them) won't take effect fully until 2008, so even if you DID bring one over, you couldn't drive it! :rolleyes:

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless your car is old enough. I'm not sure what the year limit is in US but in Canada, if the car is 15 years old, you can import it without meeting Canadian standards (DRLs, bumper, emissions etc).

12. automatic1stdown

automatic1stdown New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JBJAG @ Apr 22 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]243728[/snapback]</div>
    JBJAG,

I don't think the Ford Excursion is a good fit based on your needs. The only safety advantage the Excursion has over most SUVs is its large curb weight. It does not have side curtain airbags, side torso airbags, or stability control. Stability control is almost standard on most big SUVs for a good reason... It's not easy to reign in a 7230 lb. monster when you take a corner too fast! Handling and braking will be near the bottom of any passenger vehicle available. With the lack of side curtain airbags and no stability control, losing control at highway speeds will end up with a rollover that could potentially be very deadly. You could either suffer fatal head wounds from thrashing against the side interior wall or breach of the roof structure due to high curb weight.

The Excursion does have 4WD for bad weather, but keep in mind that this is a part-time 4WD system. You absolutely cannot drive on any dry pavement or risk damaging many of the 4WD components. I use to have a 1996 Toyota 4Runner with a part-time 4WD system. I absolutely hated it because I could only engage the 4WD when the roads were COMPLETELY covered in snow. Most roads in Minnesota are partially covered with snow/ice through the winter, making the 4WD pretty unusable except for big snowstorms.

The way I see it, the Excursion's large curb weight will help you most on two lane roads. If some maniac strays into your lane, the sheer mass of the Excursion will protect your family while the maniac will be a squished grape (think bowling ball versus marble). It's always best to avoid highspeed accidents, but that's usually not an option on two lane roads.

I have done a lot of research on vehicle safety and you're much better off getting a Volvo XC90 like DocViJay. Its curb weight is only 4450 lb (62% the weight of the Excursion) and on par with most minivans, but it has every safety option imaginable and handles like a car. My opinion is the XC90 is the overall safest vehicle money can buy because it excels at crash safety and accident avoidance. We seriously considered one but couldn't get past the subpar reliability ratings and our nearest dealership is 100+ miles away.

Besides, the Excursion target market is families that need to tow huge loads and simulatenously seat 8+ people w/ luggage. If that's you, then you're better off with a Toyota Sequoia or the newly redesigned Chevy Suburban.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(automatic1stdown @ Apr 29 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]247044[/snapback]</div>
    Some good points in your post.

Maniac squished like a grape, family protected. No negative points here!

As for the Sequia or teh Suburban, both of those are gasoline V8's only. He is looking for a diesel. If Chevy made a diesel Suburban, I'd likely get one. Or if Dodge made a full (or extra-full) size SUV like the Excursion/Suburban maybe that one. I love diesels!

14. JBJAG

JBJAG New Member

All excellent points -
    and I agree with the safety issue concerns with a beast like an Excursion - and it's apparent lack of internal component safety - such as rear side cutain airbags etc.

If I go that route I'll be soley relying on the sheer size and weight of the vehicle to protect my family in an accident - and pray that the 'physics' of the largest vehicle will usually comes out best.....not always the case..... but I drive very conservatively especially when I have the wife, 4 kids and a dog in the vehicle.

I've accepted that what I want doesn't exist (yet) so the next decision is do I want to sacrifice safety for better mpg or a greener vehicle.

Obviously the answer is no to that one -

So I guess I need to go drive an XC90 with a 3rd row, cargo roof rack and tow hitch as I'll probably have to put the dog in a trailer or strap him to the hood ;)

Anybody know if the Tourag Diesel has a 3rd row ? And doesn't the Audi Allroad edition come in a diesel model or am I dreaming.....

cheers

James

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JBJAG @ Apr 29 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]247172[/snapback]</div>
    The Touareg has no third row. I wanted to get one, but I had a third row as a definite requirement.

The XC90 has just enough room behind the third row for a small to medium dog. He'll have to sit sidewways, but should have enough room to sit, stand, or lie down. Only negative (and it's a big one) is that this is the rear crumple zone!

Now if you keep three kids in the second row, you can fold down one of the rear seats and Rover has plenty of space. I can take some pics later.

16. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusblue @ Apr 22 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]243745[/snapback]</div>

I just heard a radio ad for a Toyota dealer upstate NY (Country Toyota?), offering HHs for $3,000 under MSRP. I don't know if this is a great deal or not since I didn't price them.

17. mypriusiscute

mypriusiscute New Member

there are a few disadvantages of bio-diesel during the winter it will gel up unless you heat your fuel lines and gas tank, and storing it is not an option because it will settle and it will then be worthless.

-the highlander HY is great! accept for the fact that when the wheels break traction it is REALLY bad for the electric motors, and you may even have to REPLACE them!!!, and the third row seat is AWFUL.. I wouldn't put my mother in-law back there!.

-personelly i would go for a diesel one of those dodge sprinters/that mercedes van thing and just leave it diesel.

just my .02

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Personally if I were you I'd buy a Honda Odyssey.

19. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 1 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]247801[/snapback]</div>
    ....and rent a larger vehicle for camping.

It's practical, money saving, and fuel efficient.