1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Owners and Mac Users

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tiny Elvis, May 17, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 4 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]265500[/snapback]</div>
    It only seems that the PC does things your way because you've been brainwashed over the years to do things a certain way (the MS way), and now it seems that it was your idea all along because you've forgotten there are other ways to do things. :p
    Really, I'm a Mac person because I started with the Apple ][+ and migrated my way up. And I like being a little different than others just out of obstinateness. (I once heard, everybody wants to be normal, but nobody wants to be average). Ten years ago the Mac was clearly superior to Windows 3.11 or Windows 95, but with XP the difference really was minimized. But I like it for my video editing suite - iDVD and Final Cut Express really work well! And I don't hafta worry about virii (unless it becomes too popular :unsure: :p )

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 4 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]265500[/snapback]</div>
    It only seems that the PC does things your way because you've been brainwashed over the years to do things a certain way (the MS way), and now it seems that it was your idea all along because you've forgotten there are other ways to do things. :p
    Really, I'm a Mac person because I started with the Apple ][+ and migrated my way up. And I like being a little different than others just out of obstinateness. (I once heard, everybody wants to be normal, but nobody wants to be average). Ten years ago the Mac was clearly superior to Windows 3.11 or Windows 95, but with XP the difference really was minimized. But I like it for my video editing suite - iDVD and Final Cut Express really work well! And I don't hafta worry about virii (unless it becomes too popular :unsure: :p )

3. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jan 2 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]182938[/snapback]</div>
    No, this poll shows ONLY that the number of PriusChatters who choose to answer this poll has a larger number of Mac users...

See HERE for a discussion on survey design! (Yes, my dh wrote it...but has been working in the survey field since 1976, then at CBS helping handle election night poll results, and as a programmer for survey software of his own since about 1980. And he only programs for PCs because the market for Macs is too small. :p )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 8 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]299748[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm...without actually going back and reading the bits of my post you snipped, I THINK I also said, for my own purposes, I use WordPerfect...Word does also prefer telling me how to do stuff. I use Word for professional purposes, because of file sharing issues. AND, in spite of running WinXP Pro on ALL the computers I use (being married to a programmer, working at his business, and a parent of an 18yo boy--that is A LOT of computers), I STILL like to use the DOS command prompt from time to time.

I also spent A LOT of years as a temp, using whatever computer and program got put in front of me...back to early 80s and Wang mainframe word processor, and countless generations of Apples/Macs/PCs.

Not brainwashed nerfer, just personal experience based on A LOT of years in A LOT of different situations.

MY reality is that I owe my current lifestyle to DOS, for better or worse. As it were. ;)

I am NOT an unlimited Gates/PC worshipper...but I DO believe that Jobs et al should have taken a leaf out of Gates' marketing book YEARS ago and opened up their architecture immediately...then their share of the market would not now be so negligible in the computing market.

We are a SMALL programming company...it is not now, never has been, and is now entirely likely ever to be any kind of a viable option for us to program specifically for Macs. Historically, we have had MAYBE half a dozen sales per year for 20+ years LOST because of the incompatibilty. And we don't lose ANY of them now.

And PCs can NOW run all of the high-falutin' tech/graphic-type stuff that the Macs USED TO do SO MUCH better.

4. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 8 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]299859[/snapback]</div>
    That really does not matter. It is not whether Windows can 'run' the application, it is whether the operating system and applications integrate seemlessly for the user.

5. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use Macs at school for Photoshop and can't stand them. I've used pretty much every Mac made and just don't get why people go nuts over them. I don't really like the mass produced PC’s (Dell, HP, and especially Compaq) because they use cheap parts and have cheesy designs. I've had a Sony VAIO since '96, and it has worked flawlessly, even with Windows 95, so I'll swear by almost any Sony computer. To me, VAIO's are a lot like the Prius. They have unique styling and almost all of the parts are made in Japan. My first VAIO was actually assembled in Japan, but they assemble them in Malaysia now.
    [​IMG]
    That's the desktop of my current VAIO running Windows Vista Beta 2. (You should have seen the look on my friend's face who has a 17 inch powerbook when I started Vista, priceless :D )

6. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Aug 8 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]299933[/snapback]</div>
    Probably because it looks like what he is running already! :lol:

Cheers!

7. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Aug 8 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]299955[/snapback]</div>
    Not really, Vista is more "festively" colored than OS X and has way more programs included with it, or at least the with the "ultimate" version I am testing. But at least Microsoft got rid of the Playskool color scheme XP had, it was like box of crayons that exploded on your desktop.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Aug 8 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]299903[/snapback]</div>
    You are 100% correct. And for me, as well as, apparently, 95+% of the user market, they do...or at least to the extent that 95+% of users of personal computers do NOT use Macs, and from that sample I AM making the extrapolation that, for most of us, IT WORKS.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Wait, please while I don my asbestos suit...my mother is a MacMoonie and I am used to it!)

Once more, I repeat, the Macs COULD have had a major share of the market, but THEY SCREWED UP ON THE MARKETING PART. Whatever other many sins Bill Gates may or may not have committed, he got the MARKETING part right. Apple did not.

THAT is MY reality...after close to 30...yes, 30...years of working in A LOT of different jobs and having to adjust MY habits accordingly...and after 13 years of marriage to a programmer. And, if he had been programming for Macs, well, I wouldn't own the Pri now, never mind the house, the vacations, the retirement plans, etc.

Signed,
    Realistic Capitalistic Pig, who votes with everyone ELSE'S checkbooks, because without them, I would not have one. :)