1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Owners Report More Unintended Acceleration Incidents

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Aug 13, 2007.

1. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know how you feel. There is a particular slick spot, at a stoplight where I turn right when I'm leaving work. Every time there is ANY precipitation I loose my traction, and sometimes it is specifically due to my choice to accelerate in front of cars coming. Not a good combination! However, I hear disabling the TC is hard, and I wouldn't do it because the untamed torque of the electric motor can damage the car.

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had the same problem with TC being activated on smooth dry pavement, like a freshly patched pot hole, until I upgraded the tires. Now, the TC is fine. It's the tires.

As far as unexpected acceleration, I think we should start a scrap book of articles about this we can show to officers if we get caught speeding. We can say our car did it.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Whenever I hear of "unintended acceleration" incidents, I remember what a gunsmith once told me. "Guns only go off accidentally while being cleaned. Never had someone tell me of one going off during horseplay."

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that's right.

The 80 year old woman who drove her Nissan Pulsar through the corner shop window, (the shop owner hearing the engine reving reached in and turned off the ignition) said she put her foot on the brake but the car just went faster. Fortunately no one was hurt even though the shop was full.

Yes this happened at a sandwich shop about 150 metres from my home several years ago at lunch time! The whole front half of the car was in the shop, it hit the end of a counter which was pushed back against the fridges at the back of the shop, this and the back wheels against the window ledge stopped the car.