1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Paint defective?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Austin50mpg, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [FONT=&quot]I purchased a 2008 Classic Silver Metallic on March 28. After only 750 miles the front especially the hood looks like it has been through a battle. The paint scratches so easily. There are several places on the hood in which the scratch has gone to the primer. Does any one else with Classic Silver Metallic (or any other color) have this problem? I had a 1996 silver Trans Am with only a couple of scuffs after driving five years and 75000 miles in the same route as the Prius. Is there a defect in the 2008 paint?[/FONT]

2. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, now you're scaring me. Just bought mine 5 April. I've read a lot in this forum about 3M clear bras (do a search). I emailed a Tampa Company that installs them and to do the entire front hood with fenders, mirrors, etc, it's $400. Beats the Xzilon they offered at the dealership considering many PC posters speak highly of the product.

Supposedly Toyota used environmentally friendly paint as well that is soft. A 3M clear bra is almost like a shrink wrap and is guaranteed for 5 years.

3M Protective Film Clear Bra Test - Automotive Articles .com Magazine

Look for a installer in your area.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It may have something to do with the cure time for the environmentally friendly paint.

My Salsa Red had several dings on the hood within the first month. I installed the 3M Clear Bra and have not had any hood problems since.

If you get this done be sure to have the installer put it on the well under the door handle too.

I did buy a touch up paint pen. Works great for small scratches.
    PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint

My big gripe is why do car makers use light colored primer for dark color cars?

4. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I should have done the clear bra after leaving the dealer's lot. I probably should get the entire car done with the clear bra :)Thanks for the info. I hope others will not have to learn this lesson my way. Thanks for the responses. Anybody else have this problem?

5. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A lot of it also has to to with the aerodynamics of the design too. Another good reason for leaving plenty of space in front of you on the highway.

Got my first chip in the windshield on the Southeast Expressway in Boston when the car was only a month old.

Someone on another thread wrote about using a color matched Sharpie pen.

6. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [FONT=&quot]You are correct Neicy. I took a good look at the front of my Prius this morning. The aerodynamics and hood design make three inches of hood in the front become a target. The road debris aims for the Toyota emblem in the front and misses to the right or left causing havoc on the front folded portion of my hood. The very front of the hood is designed similar to a pickup hood with the metal folding over. I am use to having fiberglass on the entire front nose of my previous cars followed by a straight hood. On my previous small pickups I had bug deflectors. Road debris bounce off plastic better than aluminum. Well it is kind of late to get a clear bra unless I get the hood repainted first. I will look into getting a regular bra and use only the hood portion or a hood deflector. I have heard these things can also scratch you paint. However the battle scars are already there. Now I will just cover them up. I welcome any and all further suggestions or complaints about the Toyota Prius paint? Thanks again
    [/FONT]

7. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't follow so close...

8. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Trust me I try not to follow anything close. It is hard to do when 45 minutes of my hour + commute is bumper to bumper. Then when you get a little space between the car in front of you....you guessed it another car slips in. The paint just sucks.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    half of it is the angle of the hood and the size of the front end. you're not alone, trust me. i've got almost 50k miles on mine, have a bra on the front of it, and the hood that isn't covered has plenty of little paint chips.

10. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anyone with any recommendations for which bra to get; I'll appreciate the help but I'm think about the full hood.

18" Hood, Fenders, Mirrors - $200.00
    24" Hood, Fenders, Mirrors - $300.00
    Full Hood, Standard Fenders, Mirrors - $450.00
    Full Fenders - $300.00
    Full Bumper - $450.00
    Headlights and fog lights - $75.00
    Rear Luggage - $50.00

11. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After it gets another 40 or 50 chips scratches and dings on the hood (probably around my first oil change) I will look into getting the hood rhino-lined. I was looking at the new color-match spray in liners for pickup truck beds. Or would a solid black sprayed on lined hood look good with the rest of the car Silver Metallic? Someone else must have done this or thought about it by now. Anyone else seen or heard of rhino-lining the entire hood of a Prius? Thanks for all the input and responses.

12. Deborah Curlette

Deborah Curlette Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2013 Prius V I purchased new on July 5,2013. I have 8,242 miles on it and I park it in my garage. It is clear metallic sky blue. Yesterday, I accidentally scraped the side of a plastic flower pot in my driveway. Now I have an ugly scratch that goes all the way to the primer. This planter is one of those foam ones that looks like concrete. There is no visible damage to the planter. I also have noticed tiny scratches on the doors. There is absolutely no way this scratch should have occurred! It is interesting to note that others are experiencing the challenge of this paint. At the price of this vehicle, that is totally unacceptable.
    Does anyone know if the paint is covered under the warranty?
    It sounds like the rhino-lining is the best option. However, that should not be necessary.