1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius paint

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Dragon Rider, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really like my Gen 4 Two Eco but one thing that I don't like is how easy the paint get scratch. I mean I had a 1991 300ZX twin turbo and this truck let go a four by four hit my tail and all I had was a little scratch but the paint was there. I am getting the same scratch as in my Gen 3. Also I drive 90 miles per day. Any one having the same issue!! Miami suck !

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most modern paints are softer now as they're more environmentally friendly and use less or no concentrations of harmful chemicals that made paint more durable but not recyclable or environmentally friendly. They are starting to introduce "self-healing" paints (Nissan and Mercedes) but it's not widespread application at the moment.

For now, we just have to be careful (my entire front bumper is pitted due to sand and cars/trucks without mudguards flinging sand up at traffic lights)

ETP and Dragon Rider like this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the paint is soft. Chips easy. A lot of guys really like that "clear bra" film they have put on the front of the car. (But that's another 700 bucks I don't want to spend.)

ETP likes this.
  4. Dragon Rider

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is my second Prius. I will let toyota know what going on with the paint . Toyota will have to do a better job. They been real cheap with Prius paint for a long time now. The paint protector should not be on us. They painted the Prius is on them. A week later the scratch make no sense. All over the car!!!

ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Environmental legislation.
    In Calif repaints are typically done with a water based paint maybe the Prius factory is "green" and using that environmental paint too.
    Remember Imron paint...made for airliners?
    That paint was durable.

But...scratches all over the car?
    My 2016 Walnut Pearl Mica is durable from scratches, yet still gets rock chips, but I don't think the paint is to blame for the chips.
    Need more info.
    Are you going to automated carwashes?
    What is causing "scratches all over"?
    Perhaps there is a need to update the car washing techniques and products?

Wishing you luck keeping your car shiney and scratch free.

6. Dragon Rider

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No automated car washer. I stopped a long time ago. My Gen 3 had them too. I just had the Prius for two months. I talked to my salesman he agreed with me about the paint or the layer are not there.my friend has Lexus it real low just like the prius and the paint don't get hit like us. The Lexus cost a lot more than the Prius. I think for Toyota is all about Money. Forgot to negotiated the paint protector for them to paid. Thx for the feeback

ETP and 'LectroFuel like this.
  7. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You shouldn't have to have a car with a lower quality paint job just because you didn't buy a luxury car. Paint is paint. My 2016 Midnight Black Metallic has held up well to scratches (except when the golf ball landed on it a week after I bought it:mad:). My 2005 Salsa Red Pearl had a good paint job when it was new. Now, it's starting to fade. It is good with handling scratches though. Meguiar's car wax helps a lot. Our silver 2002 Honda Odyssey has a great paint job. Hasn't even started to fade. Lots of scratches. All of our cars go though automated car washes.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always wondered about red. It seems like red fades faster (or it's more obvious that it's faded) compared to other colours.

Here's mine back in April at 6.5 years old.

2016summer_mod.jpg

9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beautiful blue. I was hoping the Gen4 would offer that color... no such luck.

ETP and krmcg like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is white, and the paint seems OK so far. I'd say on a par with my FORD Fiesta (made in Thailand), and better than my Focus which was made in South Africa.

The Panel Gaps on the Prius aren't as good as the Thai Fiesta (or my previous KIA).

Last week I had Paint Protection applied, and it's improved the appearance dramatically.

11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Think I have eight in another thread. Way to up posts:ROFLMAO:

Just hit the post button once, wait 5 minutes and refresh.

12. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Best gen 3 color. Maybe the best Prius color ever. Really in good condition too. Gen 2 had a bunch of boring pastel colors except for black, white, and red. They only had a red one in stock.

13. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do I have THREE POSTS??? I only clicked post once. Is it possible for me to erase these?

14. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My wife's 2014 Highlander has the Blizzard Pearl paint. It was an extra cost color that added about $500 to the price of the Highlander if I remember correctly. I don't know if it is the exact same paint as on the 2016 Prius models but so far the paint looks fine to me. Just washed the car last week and there are the usual road chips along the front bumper and around the licence plate but other than that the paint basically looks perfect. She has about 2 years and 30,000 miles of mostly suburban and highway driving on it.

I'm leaning towards the Blizzard Pearl on the new Prius I'm shopping. Either that or the silver. Dealer next to me has two identical 4 Touring models sitting side by side. One in Blizzard Pearl with black interior. The other in Silver with Moonstone interior. I'm leaning towards the white one as I don't really like all the white interior look of the Moonstone. And the heat issues with black interior will be fairly minimal most of the year here in the Pacific Northwest. I would never buy a black interior if I still lived back in Central Texas.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Yeah it seems that the colours I choose get removed or replaced by Toyota in the midlife update.

Tideland Pearl (medium to dark grey-green) replaced in 2006 by Silver Pine Mica (much lighter hue)

Blue Ribbon Metallic replaced in 2012 by Nautical Blue Metallic (basically a dark blue)

Yeah I've noticed the panel gaps, particularly around the rear hatch are larger than typical Toyota standards.

Thank you. It's waxed at least once a year (most years it's twice) and claybar'd once a year.

Just report your own post and we can take care of that.

Yes it's the same.

'LectroFuel and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. Umar Muslim

Umar Muslim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is glass/ceramic coated???

I haven't noticed any large, or ill-fitting panel gaps.

What kind of "paint protection" did you get?
    Thanks.

#17 Coast Cruiser, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gap is the tailgate - it's quite wide, but the left is a 1½mm wider than the right (6mm vs 7½mm). I asked service at the 28 day checkover, and they said it was within specifications. TOYOTA's, not KIA's or LEXUS's obviously.

The Paint Protection is a Glass Plexin from an Australian company. I think there are 3 types of Paint Protection - Nano Tech, Glass-Plexin and PTFE - I've used PTFE twice before and been really happy with it, but the newer Glass Plexin has a higher initial gloss - and from what I've seen of it, it sheds water - and I'm guessing sheds dirty water too. I'll let you know in 3 years!!

With the PTFE coatings, they had a stipulation that you wash the car regularly (which I didn't) and use their cleaning product (which I didn't) for best results - but I found that even so, it was still protecting really well after 4½yrs.

Coast Cruiser and ETP like this.
  19. Dragon Rider

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ETP likes this.
  20. Umar Muslim

Umar Muslim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Pakistan

3M Offers such services

Just recently Honda Dealerships also started offering such high end detailing packages

U shud contact a good Detailing Centre in ur area

Glass Coating is a silica based gel that when applied on the paint offers the Max protection u can without needing to kill the look of the car

MYCAR.PK FOR QUALITY JDM's

Coast Cruiser and ETP like this.