1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius park button works intermittently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Davidude, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Having a slight issue with my 05 Prius. I bought it at 141k miles(3 months ago), it's at about 146 now. The park button doesn't always work. I have often reversed into a spot, hit the e-brake and park button, and my car will continue to roll backwards. I have to shut the car down in order for it to go in park. If I shut it down, it goes into park no problem. My e-brake does not hold the car from going into reverse. This problem happens every 30/40 times I park the car, not constantly. How should I identify this problem? It doesn't matter if I reversed into a spot, or if I went forward into it. Should I start with ordering the button, or should I examine the wiring?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You first need to fix your parking brake, it should hold the car without any issues.

You can simply shut down the car and skip the park button all together. But if you want it fixed, you can try another button or cleaning the wired connections

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is only ONE "Parking Brake" on a Prius and it is operated by your LEFT FOOT and is a Federally required safety feature which should be kept in excellent working order at all times.

The "Park Button" is the Prius equivalent of the "Park Pawl" or "Park Position" on a vehicle with an automatic transmission and they are not designed to hold the vehicle stationary (although most people do exactly that).

Based on your description, it sounds like the button (momentary switch inside) is not working correctly. That is, not making an electrical connection when depressed that would signal the parking solenoid to activate. There could also be a broken wire in the circuit or other damaged components like corroded terminals that are causing this.