1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius/Pedestrian Etiquette

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Sep 30, 2009.

1. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well whatever it's worth, they seem to be almost as oblivious to my Diesel truck as they do to the Prius, I just follow them, they move eventually, and I'm not in as big a hurry as I used to be. It's funny sometimes to see them step in front of the truck, then look and see that big grill a few feet away, I've seen some big eyes, it's usually the cell phone and or the Ipod that they are listening to that get's them.

2. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like this idea ... I'll see if it works next time. Problem is I'm usually listening to audio books so it might not have the effect that a heavy rock station might.

Speaking of stereos being turned up -- don't you just love it when your teeth chatter from the bass from the guy's car that's two lanes over and two cars ahead of you? :D

3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The trouble with the horn is that it's almost always overused or abused, especially in NYC! It's meant to be used as a warning, just like you are describing, but more often than not is used as an expression of anger and frustration.

The last time I was in NYC I got stuck in a lane heading towards the Lincoln Tunnel. There are a whole bunch of lanes, but the majority of them are dedicated to EZPass, which I don't have, and everybody else is limited to very few lanes. As you know, there are all kinds of cross streets feeding in as well, and traffic was going absolutely nowhere. Talk about road rage! Everybody was honking at everybody else. There was nowhere for anyone to move to and nobody could go any faster than they were going, so what was the point? And I would have thought that New Yorkers would be used to traffic jams and have learned to accespt them.

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still think that Toyota should provide the "Cow Bell Option". The non-offensive sound of a cow bell would politely request that pedestrians mooooove over.

Keith :)

5. Holmesman

Holmesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I honestly believe all the fuss over the quietness of the Prius is over-rated. Before I owned my Prius, I still had problems in parking lots with people who did not know I was creeping up behind them. Most modern cars are pretty quiet, and some people are just oblivious no matter what's behind them. I hate hearing how Toyota is considering making some noise generating device for pedestrian safety. Prius owners will hate it, and pedestrians will still not move out of the way.

Leave well enough alone. A very short toot of the horn is enough to let people know you're there.

6. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also lower the temperature of the A/C! This makes the compressor and fans to engage full speed. That will trigger an interesting response from people as they turn around to see me there! (however, this only works on hot days; the cooler it gets you have to use the manual controls to force the system into full speed). You cannot fool the Prius multiple sensors!

7. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, I've been reading these posts with interest. Being blind, this subject strikes a chorde with me, since I rely heavily on adible feedback.

First off, I'm NOT one of those blind do-gooders who thinks that Hybrid cars ought to be eliminated, or at least equipped with horns that are remnants from a Santa Fe Passenger Train. My wife and I own (and dearly LOVE) a 2010 V with AT. So RELAX, I'm ALL for Hybrids, especially Prius's!

On one of my first posts, I stated how many, NO let me correct that, MOST blind people feel that the world owes them something just because their blind, and the Prius and other Hybrids are just another excuse to complain about something, or rather ANYTHING. In that first post I said that pedestrians had the right-of-way in most situations and it was the responsibility of the Hybrid driver to give latitude to the pedestrian, whether they be blind or not, and that pedestrians had to sucome to the idea that most Hybrid drivers are especially vigilant of inatentive pedestrians.

HOWEVER, my eyes were opened (just a figure of speech), when one morning I was in the garage seeing my wife off in the Prius, and we had said our goodbys, and I thought she was still parked right beside where I was standing, after just a few seconds another thought came to mind, so I began discussing it with her, after what seemed to be a couple of minutes (when I got NO response), it hit me she had already backed out of the garage, down the driveway and was halfway down the street, my only clue, she put down the garage door with the Homelink, I NEVER heard a sound!

At this point, I had to rethink and impathize with those who rely on mass transit or other means, other than their own transportation, for their mobility, and their reliance on audible recognition of external stimuli to give them some indication as to other sources of impending danger.

The posts in this thread have been more sympathetic to the "oblivious" pedestrian than I probably would have before my garage incident, However, there have also been some pretty intuitive suggestions for remedies for this problem. For example, one poster suggested turning down the A/C to be certain the compressor came on so the individual(s) stand a better chance of recognizing your presence, this is a good idea, but what about Fall, Winter and Spring? Hyo Silver had an idea that warrants serious consideration, he said to turn On/Up the radio anytime a pedestrian is lurking near, however, with all the external noises in many of the larger metro areas, this may require rolling down the windows and turning the radio up REALLY LOUD!

In all honesty, I don't have a solution for this delema, I'm just hoping some sort of compromise can be found. Maybe something like (for those prospective pedestrians so concerned), a sending unit installed on all Hybrid (or vehicles deamed ultra quiet) that sends a signal to a small receiving unit (purchased by, and for those feeling its necessity) that would indicate to the user the proximity of an ultra quiet vehicle.

I'm sure someone much smarter than I will provide some ideas that are acceptable to all.

David (aka Blind Guy)

1 person likes this.
  8. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like the idea of installing an external speaker up near our "meep" horns (driven by a modest amp.) and then being able to use the microphone, or select and play one of several .wav or .mp3 files.

Then one could have a quiet "excuse me, please" and a LOUD "truck horn" (for use on the freeway).

Anybody with experience in outdoor (waterproof) speakers and suitable 12-volt amplifiers?

Somebody else with a good idea of how to integrate/install/activate it?
    Maybe 4 buttons, each one to trigger immediate playing of the selected file?

There are some units with canned sounds (goats, belks, ...) and maybe one can take its input from a flash card?

9. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your insights, Blind Guy. I was picturing you talking to an empty space while your wife had already driven off!

I like your idea of the different voices and sounds, garygid. Perhaps Nav Lady could be trained to say "Excuse me, please," or a more forceful, "For crying out loud, get out the way before I hit your sorry behind" depending on the situation.

10. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe a COGApa for $70?
    It has one 20 watt ($20 to add a 2nd 20w) speaker.
    Can program one 10-second track, has many built in.
    Volume control, and four buttons on the microphone apparently to trigger 4 selections in addition to the mic.

Only needs 12v (can plug into cig. lighter), and a wire to the speaker.

That do you think?
    Anybody have one?

11. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    for some reason this thread just encourages me to use the EV mode the next time i'm at a mall. :D

and get one of these

12. PriusRoadWarrior

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sooner or later, there will be lawsuits and Toyota, belated and battled, will have to do a recall to install noise makers when traveling below 10 mph. (Count on it)
    If there was an after market devise that would be wired to the car and set off with a fob, I would buy it and install it. Some small kid is going to get seriously hurt as they never look before they move.

13. PriusRoadWarrior

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

i like your idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking that heading towards the Lincoln Tunnel, most of those horn honkers probably weren't New Yorkers. They were probably New Jerseyites or some other breed of the bridge and tunnel species. New Yorkers are shy, retiring and civil.

15. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps the "quiet" cars are part of "the plan" to improve our decaying gene pool?

There are those who look both ways and pay attention to dangers, and those who do no seem to care.

16. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

:pound:

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A