1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius PHEV As London Taxi

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Dec 3, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Volt is no good as it has 4 seats and no boot/trunk. But the higher EV range would be more useful. As a private driver I did about 35k miles (56k km) a year as a taxi which is about 130 miles (210 km) a day. Removing 10-15 miles off that is nothing in the whole scheme of things. Removing 35-50 miles off that is significant and worthwhile, even allowing for the reduced fuel consumption on CS mode. But the Ampera was very expensive too.

The 3 year old £4k Ford Mondeo/Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Peugeot 408 is probably the better bet I fear. Ideally a Tesla S at the cost of a PIP would work. When the prices drop in the next 5 years such a car (be it Tesla or whoever) will be a game changer. I think the Tesla could be viable for the high end 'taxi' business where a Merc S Class is presently used.

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again math called in...

130 mi
    Prius PHV 115mi @60MPG(UK) = 1.91 gal
    Ampera 80mi @ 44MPG(UK) = 1.80 gal

Can't see that much "worthwile"...

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All that aside, the PiP should be matched to the cabbie that will use it wisely and for most gain. As for the current behavior of taxis inching forward in a line for customers, that custom is not universal or the law of the land.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The natural law of supply and demand . . . the invisible hand of the market place.

Bob Wilson

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's pretty much how they work at US airports.

The Prius can save a cabby on gas. The PPI can save a little more. Perhaps more than a little when matched to a cabby that can make the most use it. But that is all moot in a market where the Prius costs more than the Lexus CT200h. Would cabbies in North America have taken a chance with the gen1 Prius if it at been over $30k?

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the prices of the Prius, PIP and CT200h are easy to find on toyota.co.uk or lexus.co.uk

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry GC, £ is not a recognized currency :p

8. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The base CT200h is 1000 pounds less than the cheapest Prius. In the US it is about $8000 more.
    The first notable Prius taxi was a gen1.5, up in Canada I believe. I don't know the Canadian price, but it was likely higher than the $20k the car cost in the US. The gen1 was comparable in size to the Echo, which could be bought for at least $4000 less. If the gen1 had cast another $8000, would the cabby have still taken a chance with it as a taxi?
    The current PPI might see more use as a cab then, but I say it will come down to how strictly the zero emission part is enforced. Even increased range in the next gen will likely not be enough for a full day inside the zero emission zone, and I think most cabbies will likely just go on gas if they think they can get away with it.

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We've been refering to the PIP as a taxi as in everyone other than London (and a couple other cities) the PIP can indeed be a legal taxi.

In London it can't be. It can only be a minicab or private(ly) hired car. One which can't be hailed in the street. So I could sit on a rank in a PIP but a driver in London can't.

It's a weird law and not sure how the proposed ZEZ will affect things.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC petrol in Canada at that time was under $4 USD/gallon. Compare that to current petrol costs in the UK for a more reasonable question.

The cabbies in the UK interested in electric are going to save 10 - 15 US cents a mile. If they can manage 25% EV overall and taxi life is 300k miles, the break-even point for the *EV premium is ~ $US 7k-10k before other perks and subsidies are considered.

#31 SageBrush, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What if the cabby could use the free on street chargers? Our petrol atm is about $7.50 a US gallon :)

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The difference between the Prius and PPI price in the UK is 6400 pounds or $10,032.
    25% EV miles is generous. GC stated his daily miles was 130. If the PPI can manage 15 miles a day, that's 11.5%. To get o 25% would require another full charge, which take 1.5 hours at a level 2 charger. Snatching a short charge here and there will get about 0.07 miles of range per minute charging. The PPI is not capable of charging any faster. The likely hood is that a PPI cab, or car for hire, will only see one full per day.

With the grant, a PPI will take 2.67 years, with no days off to break even. (assumptions: 130mi/day, $7.50 us gallon, 50mpg, and 15 mile EV range for PPI). Considering the annual miles, they work out about even for a taxi's life.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A 2001 Prius cost Cdn$29,990. A 2001 4-dr Echo w/ 4-Dr Package and 4-spd auto was Cdn$16,025, nearly half the cost. Granted, the Echo didn't have much features. The "4-dr package" added "Colour-Keyed Door Handles & Bumpers, P175/65R14 Tyres, Intermittent Wipers, Manual Remote Control Mirrors, AM/FM/CD, Power Door Locks" for $710 and at that price, it's pretty much a given, if not for the CD player and power door locks and the convenience of adjusting the mirrors manually from inside the cabin instead of physically touching the mirror to adjust.

Also, the Gen 1 was a compact, the Echo was a subcompact (and a spacious one at that) so technically, different classes.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As you said, spacious. Enough to fall into the EPA compact class. The 2001 Corolla and Prius both have more passenger volume(but less cargo), but where the actual inches are might mean the differences are smaller.
    Compare Side-by-Side

But the Corolla is there more likely choice instead of a Prius for a taxi. Which doesn't change my point. There is still a sizable difference in price between a gen1 Prius and Corolla. If that difference was even greater, it becomes harder to justify to a cabby for taxi use.

A Prius and PPI could be great cabs due to there versatility and fuel consumption, but not in markets where they have a large price difference over the traditional option. We know there are more reasons beyond saving money to get a hybrid, but we aren't buying them for business use.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Businesses do things all the time that are not straightforward money calcs. Advertising, for example.

Andrew Grant, the pioneer of Prius as a taxi, has written that he was able to accrue a group of customers that asked for him instead of other cabbies because of the Prius.

In any case, saying that as the Prius becomes more expensive it becomes less attractive is not the most incisive thought I hope to read today.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I felt it needed to be said because all the support of a PPI cab for London seem to be overlooking the realities of how often the car will get charged and its high price in the UK.

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's the solution where there are queues of taxi:
    [​IMG]
    Just a pair of overhead wires in the taxi lane . . .

Bob Wilson

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, and I forgot how large the Echo's trunk was!

Back then, gas was 50 cents/litre so there was no incentive to go with an Echo or Corolla. There were plenty of Windstars, Ventures and Caravan taxis and there even was one Avalon (1st gen). At that time, I would say a Camry or Taurus was the more likely candidate than a Prius.

That's true, most cabbies buy second hand vehicles that are just a couple of years old (old police cars or rentals or I suppose used private vehicles). Buying a new car for taxi use was unheard of.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As GC pointed out, not only will the higher new price mean higher used price for a Prius or the PHV, that high price will mean less used ones being available in the UK. I think the only way to get a PPI adopted as a car for hire in London will be by zero emission requirements. Then if the next gen doesn't greatly improve the EV range, a PPI hire car won't actually be zero emission most of the time.