1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius PHEV to have a GRMN Model

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by drash, Jan 24, 2023.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bestcarweb.jp has scooped a Prius GRMN model that will be PHEV only.
    めちゃカッケェ……!! トヨタ新型プリウスPHEVに最強モデル「GRMN」投入計画!! 登場は1年後!? - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

Don't get too excited as this appears to be Japan only since they have the GRMN label as opposed to the GR label here and in Europe.

Partial translation:
    " So what kind of car will the Prius PHEV GRMN be? Body rigidity has been improved by adding more spot welds and extended use of structural adhesives, and the suspension and brakes have been thoroughly strengthened. In addition, the interior is also treated with exclusive items, making it a finish that is different from the normal.

Up to this point, it is a standard menu according to the conventional GRMN specifications, but the point of attention is what to do with the power unit. According to people in the know, it is difficult to increase the power of the motor, and if possible, it would be tuning of the base 2L engine.

Engine specs have not been announced as of December 16th, so it is difficult to predict.

It is expected to appear about a year later, from the end of 2023 to early spring 2024. GRMN should be the “true figure” that the new Prius is aiming for."

So they'll probably retune the ECU for the engine to output more power. Maybe this is a path for them to slip in a rear e-Axle like @Christopher O'Brien wanted, probably at the expense of hatch room. Good grief if they put on wider tires and good luck finding replacements, cheaply.

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Speaking of Toyota GR, I was seriously considering importing the GR performance damper kit and door stabilizers. It took me way longer than I'd care to admit to finally realize the dampers were definitely not an option because they're Japan-only, and Japan is a LHD country. D'oh. It's possible the rear damper might still fit, but what would be the point? Might still get the door stabilizers since they're relatively cheap and very easy to install. The cosmetic stuff doesn't interest me.

PRIUS | TRD

3. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    That's nice. Toyota will probably only make 5,000 units and each one will be marked up $20k at the dealer. Just another pipe dream car like the GR Corolla.

TGrracie likes this.
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Already-poor gas mileage of Gen 5 will be even worse with the GRMN.

5. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they made a manual transmission GR Prius Prime I'd be all for it!

But this obviously has only two pedals. How pathetic!

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A Prius with a manual transmission? That wouldn't work with Toyota's hybrid synergy drive.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It would with a Honda IMA and a synergy rear axle, lol

8. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that. But my personal opinion is:
    If it ain't got a stick shift, it ain't a fun car to drive.

I bought the Avalon hybrid because it was practical and affordable, not because I enjoy driving such a boring car.

I had way more fun in my stock 1972 VW Beetle (45hp) my 1985 VW Golf diesel (52hp) and my 1993 Mazda 323 (with a whopping 82hp!) because they all had stickshifts.

To me, a GR Toyota with a Synergy drive is about as appealing as finding sliced, plain, store-brand white bread on a fancy restaurant's menu.

9. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Try a C8 Corvette Z06 and tell me that's not fun :D

10. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Boring. Sorry. I like the technology, but I'm not a lover of getting thrown back into my seat. I'd be happier with a 50hp stick shift.

Let me explain. Sure, I'd love to drive a Corvette, especially a mid engine C8 Corvette, on a race track where I could attempt to release the car's full potential. But as a daily driver or a road trip car, forget it.
    1. I'm a stickler for speed limits.
    2. I'm a stickler for taking off with moderate acceleration in traffic. (I'm a safety freak.)
    3. There's a town-wide 25mph speed limit, and I can drive for months without ever leaving the 25mph zone.
    4. I don't have any on ramps near by nor stop lights to speed away from at speeds over 35mph, just the gradual 25, 35, 45, 55mph speed limit signs after leaving each town.
    5. 3 months of the year roads hear are icy and snow packed making even the weakest cars overpowered enough to spin tires.
    6. Even when I do road trips I hate driving down the freeway and prefer to take my time on much slower back roads.
    But that's just the way I am.

CR94 and mountaineer like this.
  11. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Totally see where you're coming from, I'm just poking fun. The Z06 is definitely a track toy, not a daily.

I agree that regular econobox cars are more enjoyable with a stick, that's my biggest gripe with the transition to EVs/hybrids. Hopefully there will be a fun solution down the road, I believe Toyota had a manual transmission in testing for an EV drive train.

12. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know how much I'd be for a pseudo manual EV. But there are a few EV's that have shown that having a two speed gearbox can be beneficial, although I highly doubt they'd put a two speed manual into anything sold to consumers.

When I was into researching EV conversions before EV's started selling to the public in the 21st century I noticed that with BLDC motors you could halve or or double the speed at the cost of halving or doubling the torque by changing the winding configuration between a wye and a delta. I dreamed of making a single speed gear box EV but with a shifter that would switch between the two winding configurations (it would need 3 x 2 pole contactors of some sort). Of course, as if that would ever be an option in a modern EV.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota's was a simulated gear shift. Like getting the fancy controller for your racing game. Dodge has an EV concept with a true multispeed transmission that could be manually shifted.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  14. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I'll have to look up that Dodge concept.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    IIRC, it was a Charger EV.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most people don't buy prius for fun

beamsley and Isaac Zachary like this.
  17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't think its an amusing physics experiment?

18. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Ah, that's what it was. No thanks, I'll be keeping my Miata as long as my knees last. The Dodge concept is interesting though.