1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius PHV preorders in Europe

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by JoeBlack, Mar 30, 2023.

1. NorthernHSD

NorthernHSD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked Finnish Toyota website and trim levels what it says. Wireless Apple CarPlay but indeed no mention about wireless charger. Shame!

2. Kris K.

Kris K. New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the off topic but I see a bunch of EU Prius drivers here.... I'm on the market for a pre-owned 4th gen Prius PHV and I can't find the details about how much energy one can recuperate when driving in the HV mode.

I heard/read that it's limited to about what a regular Prius could recuperate - US owners confirmed that that's not the case but the EU version of Prime can be different. To clarify, I'm not talking about the 'secret' Charge mode, just regular HV driving.

Thanks.

P.S. If you're in the Czech republic and wanna sell your 4th gen Prius PHV, let's talk :)

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You're asking about how much energy the regenerative braking can recover while in hybrid mode? That isn't a simple answer. The system will use the electricity as soon as possible to use less gasoline, which makes tracking the actual amount directly difficult. Then it depends on the route, terrain, and driving style.

The plug in can capture more energy braking than the hybrid. The battery is the limiting factor for regen braking in a hybrid. It isn't just a limit of total amount of energy held, but also limits the rate at which the braking can add energy to it. With a bigger battery, the PHV can capture more energy per braking. It's why the Prime has a better EPA rating than the hybrid.

The differences between the Prime and PHV in operation are mostly in the EV modes.

Kris K. likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Kris K. likes this.
  5. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Few days ago I went on a longer trip Ceska Lipa -> Teplice and I was able to get from HV mode to 24% battery. It was probably the most energy I have ever put back in battery while driving down the hill.
    My previous top was around 13% on much shorter descent.

So far my plan was to trade in my PHV 2021 for 2023 PHEV - it should arrive in August, so I do not have a dealer estimate just yet.

Kris K. likes this.
  6. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I looked up both cities and they're at the same approximate altitude. How are you doing that? Climbing a mountain inbetween, regen braking on the way down in EV mode, then going back into HV for the rest of the ride?

7. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, pretty much.
    [​IMG]
    https://ibb.co/mvR6NsZ
    This should be the end part of that descent:
    https://goo.gl/maps/X3R1yEYAYwRWi3r3A
    I was in HV mode when we started to go down -> regen -> then it switched automatically back to EV mode, and before I reached my destination, I was able to deplete the battery again.

8. Kris K.

Kris K. New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Big thanks for all who chipped in!

@JoeBlack - I'm on the market for a pre-owned Prius. Just saying :)