1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in Accessories - Now available in the PriusChat Shop

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Danny, Mar 3, 2012.

1. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They fit fine in my 2012 PiP.

powerplay likes this.
  2. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you for your reply.

3. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just received my WeatherTech Cargo liner and it is not a prefect fit for the Plug-In. It is listed under the Plug-In menu, but within the ad, at the bottom, it states for the hatchback. I am sure that is correct, but it doesn't fit the plug-in and it probably should not be listed under the Plug-In Accessories.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's disappointing, i thought they were going to make them specificly for the pip.

5. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I was disappointed. I ordered it from the shop here on the forum. Just as a point of information, I ordered the Side Window Deflectors from WeatherTech directly, 15 business days ago and the order is still "In Process". I should have ordered them from the shop. as they at least ship the product.

6. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Weatchertech window reflectors - update. Had the PiP for 12 months when I bought the Weathertech deflectors in early April. Reason for purchase: to decrease car overheating while parked for long on hot summer days.

Now, in July, both rear deflectors fell out, repeatedly. One got broken on the pavement by another car's tire. The front reflectors are fine and remain solidly mounted.

I had followed mounting and "set-in" instructions exactly.

Causes for failure: the rear windows are rectangular in shape, with a taper toward the top. Hence, the deflector cannot wedge itself into the window sealing channel against gravity: the opening below it gets progressively larger (wider), and the only thing holding the rear deflector in place when the window is open is the edge sticky tape. now, when the car is moving and the rear window is open, the added wind pressure reliably breaks the sticky seal of the edge tape, and down slips the loosened deflector into the open and progressively larger window sealing channel, thus falling out entirely.

Unlike the rear window deflector, the front deflector spans two edges of the window rectangle - from the bottom front to the top rear. It thus wedges itself mechanically into the opposing corners of the rectangle. Not a shimmy at any speed, as the wind simply pushes it harder into these two opposing corners.

Conclusion: because the rear windows by their design leave a large vertical crack on their rear edge when they are cracked open, the rear deflector does not shield the Prius from rain when the window is cracked - so I'd been leaving only the front windows cracked anyway when I'm at work, or at night. Therefore, for cooling the car - the original purchase purpose and for which the front deflectors work reasonably well - the rear deflectors are unnecessary.

So, I think I'll dispense with the problematic rear deflectors and keep the well-functioning front ones on. Too bad about the now-choppy look.

Final comment: I think the causative problem is the shape design of the rear door Pruis window, and I am scratching my head how any company could overcome that design's shape factors with a reliable long-term rear side deflector.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. They needed to make the rear window deflector so it covers the angled section at the rear of the window as well.

However, that would have introduced a little more drag and wind resistance because that section would become a scoop, especially when the vehicle is moving at higher speeds.

SCH-I535

8. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just tried to install mine in the rear and they came with two clips, per side. I tried everything I could to install the clips and could not figure out to get them in properly. When I did put them in, the window would not go up fully. Since these came with the clips there is only sticky tape on the very ends. I don't see anyway to keep them in with the window not pressing against them.

9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I was able to put the clips in and the rear ones are fine. In fact I just put in some for my wife and used the clips on her Venza. It's a little tricky but no issues so far. Mine have been in since last year. The clips make putting the rear ones in tight but doable. I should have documented what I was doing while putting them in. Then again I only lower the rear when I know there is no rain.

iPad ? HD

10. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had no trouble placing the clips, and my rear window deflectors were fine as well... until this month, three months after installation :(

11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well to tell you the truth, I never got a chance to use them until this year because I put them in late Fall. Maybe the rear vents adhesive took much longer to seal properly.

iPad ? HD

12. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to try it again. I watched the video on their website and that was much more informative that the paper supplied. Hopefully, I will be successful like you all where.

13. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I tried again this morning after watching the video again. The window channels won't hold the clips in place. As soon as you slide them up into the channel, the channel squeezes them right out. I don't see anyway for the rubber channel to hold them in place so you can put the deflector in. The video shows a totally different kind of channel which holds the back of the clip in place. The channel on this car does not have a lip to hold anything. Any more details on how you got the clips to stay in place would be greatly appreciated.

14. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cockpit Error!!!! I finally figured it out. The video explains it very well. I just hadn't found the lip for the inner channel. The tool they provide needs to get up at the back corner of the channel and then pull down on the lip. it shows it in the video, I just didn't see the lip up in the back corner.

15. grkmalaka

grkmalaka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gonna pick up a few items I didn't get with the car and support the forum at the same time. lots of knowledge found here within the first 5 days of PiP ownership.

markabele likes this.
  16. amylynn829

amylynn829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just purchased 2014 Prius Plug-In today so I'm new to Prius and new to Plug In! I'm looking for an all weather mat for cargo area that also covers the back of the rear seats (so everything is covered when the seats are down), similar to what Subaru has on this Impreza. Does anyone have any leads on something like this? The only option I've seen so far that covers both is Canvasback from AutoAnything.

Thanks!
    Amy

Attached Files:

17. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Canvasback is a very good product. I'm very happy with mine and I've hauled dogs, tools, building supplies, bricks and similar stuff with perfect performance from my CanvasBack.

18. amylynn829

amylynn829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks! Does it hold up well enough with bikes too? I have a road bike that I regularly put in the cargo area (on it's side) and need something durable enough where it won't damage what's underneath whatever protective barrier I choose.

19. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Absolutely. Here are some pix of my setup. Canvasback seats down.jpg Canvasback peeled back.jpg Canvasback one seat up.jpg Canvasback from side door.jpg Canvasback from side door.jpg Canvasback one seat up.jpg Canvasback peeled back.jpg Canvasback seats down.jpg

Attached Files:

20. amylynn829

amylynn829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you so much for the pics!