1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in Advanced vs Lexus ES 300h

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jameskatt, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Godzuki

Godzuki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Both the Lexus CT200h and the Lexus ES 300h are nice cars - I get a chance to see quite a few of them during my daily commutes as I drive pass them while in the HOV lane... ;)

rogerv and mnml like this.
  2. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i'd prefer a bmw 3 series or C-class (CLA?) over any entry lexus, hybrid or not. now if they had a lexus plug in with same or close mpg as the PiP, i'd definitely consider it.

3. Phausto

Phausto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One of my many mothers-in-law paid ~$40K for her 2005 Prius. To say that the Prius was intended to be a $22K car ignores a sizable history of a broad range of models and trim levels. HyCam, different story.
    One can, of course, buy the base PiP and with tax deductions etc be well under $30K. And get roughly 100mpg. And not need a roof box to cram all the remaining wannabe into the little Lexus. The Tesla-Lexus comparison is much more apt I think, and looks to be for the most part unequivocal.

4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How the hell did she manage to get taken like that? My 2005 was 26,660 before taxes, etc. And this was fully loaded at the time. Out the door with taxes, etc, it was less than $30K.

I was very tempted to get the Advanced model of the PiP, but the nearly 25% increase in price convinced me to get the Base model. It was a difficult decision to make since I love gadgets and technology. But I couldn't justify the higher price for a few more toys, no matter how useful they were. We had the laser cruise control in our Sienna and absolutely loved it. We still have the Sienna, but the sensor took a rock to the face and killed it. $1200 for a new sensor. Not worth fixing on a van that has 200K miles on it.

lensovet likes this.
  5. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drove a 2013 Lexus ES 300h over the weekend & imo, my PiPA is much more comfortable :)

Hi Burrito!, SJ PiP and mnml like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting comparison. In terms of outright purchase price, yes, the PiPA does encroach into luxury car territory. However, you can't discount the technology found on the Advanced model that is optional on the ES300h or not available at all. The Advanced model comes with HUD, DRCC, PCS, LED headlights and so forth. The base ES300h has NuLuxe material (leather is optional) and no HUD (though I believe DRCC/PCS and HID headlights are available). Those will bring the price of an ESh up pretty darn quickly.