1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius plug-in batter vs nissan

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by syscon, Sep 23, 2012.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Does Prius Plug-in has the same battery technology as Nissan?
    From the article below the picture does not look good for Nissan battery.
    "Nissan Leaf battery degrades quickly in hot climates"
    Nissan Leaf battery degrades quickly in hot climates - Wry Heat

Can not wait to see Prius Plug-in battery performance in colder winter weather.

wjtracy likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :) old story. prius protects battery by keeping it from extreme ends of charging. this isn't toyota's first rodeo. and pip heat comes from ice, not from battery. lastly, it's obvious that the author has an anti ev bias. all that said, even regular prius suffers prematurely from arizona heat.

3. I doubt that the PIP is radically different from earlier generations.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    completely different battery chemistry.

5. With respect to climatic temperature variations, as addressed by OP.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in respect to that, li-on might be worse?

7. Only time will tell, however, Toyota appears to do some in depth research before they release a product. Based on thier history, I have full confidence in my PIP. Please see Post #2, this thread.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that guy in post #2 really sounds like he knows whereof he speaks.:p

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The issue that Leafs are facing is apparent early capacity loss in hot climates like AZ and TX. To get an idea of temps in Phoenix, see My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11) and glance thru a few summer months of Phoenix September Weather 2012 - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85003.

There's a 387 (!) page long thread discussion this at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11).
    My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Lost Battery Capacity and Range / Autonomy, Page 2 is a summary.

My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Phoenix Range Test Results, September 15, 2012 were the results of Tony Williams' range test in the Phoenix area.

Nissan's response after a handful of AZ leafs were taken to their test facility has been virtually nil. They finally responded w/something at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Open Letter from Nissan, September 22, 2012. It will be interesting to hear how the meetings with the affected Leaf owners go and what kind of remedy they receive, if any.

There are many different variants of lithium ion batteries. I can't even begin name all of the variants. People on MNL or those that work in the battery industry would know. Battery - MyNissanLeaf and Automotive Energy Supply Corporation should help re: the Leaf, which is a BEV.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We had frost here last night.

Fall will transform to Winter sooner than I'd prefer.

Owner data is forthcoming...

Bogdanoc likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

12. We had some sort of temp differential in Sacto, sufficient to fog up the windshield quite a bit, I just hit Auto and it cleared immediately.

13. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    drove to work today (2.7 miles) with defrost on, MPG? 37:cry:

14. 37, that's quite a hit.

15. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought, next time it gets as cold as this morn. I'll go down the side streets where the speed limit is 25, but that just means the ICE is on that much longer, thus reducing my MPG even more. But possibly the ICE will turn off considering I'm going 25 which means the trip takes longer, and EV will take over then, would be insignificant tho because it's only 2.7 miles to work

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I like that author Jonathan D he thinks like me.
    As far as guarantee, not sure about Canada, but in USA I believe we get quite good coverage on PiP batt.

17. hello Kity: not totally sure that what I'm saying here is relevant to your subject, but, what the hell it's all communication. Driving in this morning from Lake Tahoe to the Peppermill Hotel at S. Reno I traveled mostly in HV, charged my EV numerous times and finally ended up with .1 on EV coming into S. Virginia from Rt 395. The interesting portion was driving on S. Virginia with construction, traffic, red lights average speed was 30 maybe even 20. At that point, I no longer lost any EV, actually gained, minutely. Engine came on after initial acceleration, then shut off after reaching speed. HV battery went from about 10% to about 90% and Iwas able to continue to next red light in pure HV elec mode w/ NO ENGINE. This sequence continued at each and every light. My over all average,, from Sacto was 72 MPG. Considering going over the Sierra, that was incredible! Also got to use the seat heater and found it does the job nicely, Temp: 43 degrees. Did not require interior HVAC option.

18. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its worth noting that the Leaf and PiP use different flavors of Li battery. I believe the Leaf uses LMO (Lithium Manganese Oxide, LiMn2O4), while I believe the PiP uses LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiFePO4). I believe that LFP is also used in the Chevy Volt and Tesla Roadster. It is interesting to note that the Volt and Tesla appear to use liquid cooling in the battery, while the PiP and Leaf do not.

Rob

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  19. rockfeller

rockfeller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rob,
    Good to know more details.