1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug In gas engine cuts off after 5 seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by William Lower, May 19, 2023.

1. William Lower

William Lower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I cleaned the MAF sensor, poured octane boost and fuel cleaner in the fuel tank. Car started up, but the brake, slip indicator, and ABS lights remained on. I thought, "Wow. Maybe I'll try to drive it a bit." Pulled out of the driveway, started to talk to a neighbor, and then the engine died. Started it back up, it went to EV mode, and I drove it back into the driveway. I started it again, put it in Eco mode, and the engine ran for about 40 seconds, then died, and the car went into EV mode. Then I couldn't get the engine to come on at all in Eco mode. So I disconnected the battery neg cable (something new), then soon reconnected it. Car is back to engine quitting. Last time it ran for 50 seconds. The brake, slip indicator, and ABS lights consistently remain on. I think I'm done. There is something seriously wrong with this car. The only thing to decide is where/when to tow it.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Flagged this og post as irrelevant to the sub forum, see ya later alligator

3. William Lower

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What is an "og post"?

4. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you tried putting gas in it?

5. William Lower

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thats the one thing I haven't done. I'm pretty sure it has fuel in the tank. The engine fires up. There would be no engine life at all if the tank was empty. The fuel gauge shows 3 or 4 bars, depending upon the slope where its parked. I'm too scared to drive it 5 blocks to the ga station although I probably should - just to cover all bases.

6. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You really should find a way to get some gas in there before you get it towed. Like others have said the engine seems like it's running, but it's probably just trying to start. Then when you added octane boost and fuel cleaner it may have ran off that for a minute. I just dealt with this and my fuel gauge also said I had gas, it was wrong.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If it's a 5 block walk, you could just fill a can and bring that home.

They'll probably even sell you the can. Even at convenience store retail, that's cheaper than a tow.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Strange happenings like this can also be caused by a weak 12 V battery or a loose connection on same.
    The 12 V battery in a hybrid does NOT actually turn a starter to start the ICE.

SO.....if you really DO have a plug-in model, which is NOT clear from your posts......I would think it would go 5 miles on EV just fine.......unless the HV battery is low too.

My suggestions: Get gas.
    Get the 12 V battery tested, including it's main connections.

10. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When was the last time your 12v battery was replaced? Also since we are in the topic of air/fuel ratio, has your throttle body been cleaned before?

You also mentioned you recently got an oil change right before this started happening. Who did your oil change? I would put a fresh tank of gas if i were you because your problem could be from a bad batch of gas. Full tank premium with fuel cleaner.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  12. William Lower

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This morning I put a gallon of gas in and the car started normally. Took a chance and drove to the gas station and filled it up. Only took 4.5 gallons, so the gauge is working normally. Drove around the neighborhood and got nervous when the engine cut out. Thinking back, that was dumb. Its a hybrid. Even in Eco and Power modes the engine cuts out at slow speeds. Made an appointment at a mechanic 10.6 miles away. Got halfway there and it ocurred to me everything was working fine. So I turned drove on the freeway some more to satisfy myself and then drove home. I think the first time the engine ran longer than 5 seconds the vehicle was fixed. After 40 seconds a hybrid engine will cut out, even in Eco or Power mode. I want to thank everyone who helped me with suggestions. Something worked. I suspect either the fuel system cleaner additive or cleaning the MAF sensor. THANKS!

bisco and nicoj36 like this.
  13. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mendel Leisk, William Lower and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is unclear about the first four words of the first post?

Grit likes this.
  15. William Lower

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I never even heard of a MAF sensor until Nico brought it up. Had to google it. A Youtube video showed me how to clean it. The MAF sensor is not mentioned in any maintenance schedules that I've ever seen.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, because toyota doesn't provide long term maintenace to the owner, you have to buy the service manual. and it's rwally repair rather than regular service

William Lower likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I cleaned ours maybe around 70k kms, with CRC’s MAF Sensor Cleaner spray, but really: it looked spotless. It’s downstream of the air filter, upstream of throttle body, very clean zone.

Grit and William Lower like this.
  18. William Lower

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My MAF sensor also didn't look very dirty. I thought I probably was just going through the motions, but it may have been the cause of all the problems. I've decided to clean the MAF sensor on my Prius V too. It has 120K miles on it and I bet it's MAF sensor has never been cleaned.

#38 William Lower, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't stop it there just because your car is back and running. If I were you I'd clean the EGR, intake manifold, and throttle body. Guaranteed your EGR is clogged with carbon and your throttle body is gunked and sticky which makes it slower/harder to pull air into the engine.

bisco and William Lower like this.