1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in Hybrid Gets Improved 95 MPGe Rating

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Paradox, Jan 31, 2012.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the prototype has 1.31 kWh NiMH pack with the Lithium sub-packs, the Lithium would make up 3.89 kWh.

The usable energy from NiMH is about 0.524 kWh (40%). If Lithium DOD is 60%, it's usable energy would be 2.334 kWh. The total would be 2.86 kWh usable.

The production pack has 4.4 kWh all Lithium. 60% DOD would give 2.64 kWh usable.

The prototype had 288 cells while the production model only has 56 (much larger) cells. The low cell count should increase the usable energy due to less loss in cell balancing.

For those reasons, I believe the production model should have the same usable energy as the prototype - just more refined.

1 person likes this.
  2. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More than 80% of drivers drive more aggressively than the UDDS. So no it is not typical. And the typical driver will get 11 miles. And they will burn gas. That is why the EPA has the 5 cycle test.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's great news for me, i always do way better than epa sticker!

4. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That is how my wife drives... :rolleyes:

(but great news for me!)

5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    More than 80% of PHEV drivers?

In another thread you said:

Are you living to your expectations from others?

3 people like this.
  6. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As english is likely you non-native tongue I will give you a quick hint.
    "Are you living up to your expectations..." is what you should say.

As I said in they very quote you linked it is no more meaningful than saying many are this, and few are that.

However given that the PiP isn't out we have only the Volt to look at. Do Volt drivers drive as sedately as the UDDS? No they don't. They drive more aggressively. Otherwise they would exceed the EPA mileage as a whole. So PHEV drivers drive more aggressively than the UDDS. Phew that was easy.

Now the next question. Are PiP drivers going to be different than Volt drivers? Maybe their low power electric motor will encourage them to drive sedately. Maybe drivers who purchase a plug-in prius are atypical and drive slowly. Certainly in society in general there is a feeling that Prius drivers are atypical and likely to be driving slowly causing traffic jams and so on hence the hate (or maybe just jealousy at the pump :) ). If these same drivers purchase PiPs then maybe there is a basis for the argument that they will surpass the EPA ratings. Maybe this is an accurate portrayal of prius drivers, but I did not personally think so. If you think the prius drivers drive unusually slowly and sedately and the PiP drivers will as well that is fine.

7. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Actually a better population for comparison might be to look at Prius 2010 drivers, who may be more like the average Pirius PHV driver. Volt driver might be have choose the Volt in part because because they accelerate/drive more aggressively (It was one of my factors).

If Prius 2010 driver drove at UDDS, then their milage on fuely would significantly exceed the EPA average. Instead it is at 47mpg average (5-6% below the EPA estimated milage, so prius drivers are not likely driving, on average, driving like the UDDS cycle.

8. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally enjoy when someone makes a spelling or grammar error in the same post when correcting someone else's.

5 people like this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not really, short trips like UDDS are the MPG killer for the no-plug Prius. That's where PHV will make the best use of electricity. In other test cycles, the battery will continue to discharge, of course unless the driver switches to the HV mode.

I have no idea where sxotty got "more than 80% of drivers drive more aggressively than the UDDS". I hope he as a source to back it up.

10. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I don't know what sxotty's data is but the following chart (and its associated papers from Argonne) say only 22% of trips can be done using UDDS power levels.

[​IMG]

This is power demands from real user trips. Read the full paper at
    http://www.autonomie.net/docs/6 - P...rements/impact_of_real_world_drive_cycles.pdf

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Drinnovation said
    Yep, gm-volt.com is full of people rationalizing their Volt purchase because of perceived "performance" superiority, as in cornering and acceleration. It is uncommon to find a Volt owner like you who has energy conservation as a high priority, most seem to be like gwmort who is happy to waste energy so long as it is not "petrol."

I would not choose the 2010 Prius cohort of buyers as the presumed average PiP buyers; the latter are early adopters and IMO more likely resemble G1 Prius or first year G2 Prius buyers. That group includes greenies, but lots of techies too.

1 person likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    UDDS and LA-4 are (relatively) low peak power test cycles. I don't really know that anything can be extrapolated onto the first wave of PiP owners other than merging on to the highway will likely require petrol.

Horrors !
    While people with sub ~ 12 mile jaunts may be chagrined by the few second ICE use, just about all owners with 15+ miles jaunts will blend at one time or another. This EV purity bullet point is *so* not interesting.

13. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the record, my PV system is generating more power than my family consumes now, even with the Volt charging, so energy I "waste" having fun in my car is my own and completely carbon neutral.

14. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am glad such a simple act from my phone could bring you joy. I was temtped to think you were an english teacher, but those that I know would not find it enjoyable they would find it frustrating. Though adding a y would most likely not get them riled up one way or anotheer.
    (That double e is for you as well as the tempted typo)

15. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I must admit, my first Prius - back in 2006 - tamed me and educated me to drive in an efficient way. I heard the same from many other Prius users.
    Prius was a pioneer car in many aspects and this is one of them.
    I do hope the Volt package has the same virtue and would like to hear Volt drivers opinion, because the efficient way is the correct way.
    One day, not in the far future, this will be the norm and the aggressive drivers will be hated on the road.

16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    (Bolding in the quote is mine)

What a waste of expensive wind power!

17. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you have a car? The correct way is clearly to ride a bicycle. It is far more efficient. Only wasteful individuals drive cars.

Is that how it is done when you are deciding what is and is not an appropriate use of resources?

18. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well one of the palaces I "need" acceleration is to get out of my office complex. They have a 6 lane divided road where the closet light is 1/2 mile a way and by they time they get to our section they are at full speed or more (limit is 45, many do 55+). The intersection there is busy so even when red, we get all the turning folks from the other direction. And there is a very popular exit ramp that starts 100f past our "entry" We have a right turn into 40+ traffic with people wanting to be in the right lane, and you have to pick the time right or wait for a very long time. So for me 0-40mph acceleration is not just for fun.

The second reasons I wanted power/speed is that I tend to be running late. Airport runs at 5am for a :30 flight can use a little agression. The deer don't mind and I may go 10m without seeing a car.

Still, at times a Guy's just has to fun. And if the wind is going to blow its more fun than an arcade game ;-) A full charge on wind power is costing me < $1 for 30-40 miles, so a little "fun" is allowed. I've not had it down to the track yet, though many of my race friends are anxious to try it on the track.

Note I said it was one of the reasons. It was not the primary, but since I was consider a prius plugin vs Volt vs Leaf vs Model S, its was clearly not the primary (or I'd waiting on a Model S).

Coming back to your post, however, the Volt has help change me. I used to be a left lane Limit+5-10 type of driver.. I think about driving efficiency a lot more frequently and spend time helping to educate others to help atone up for my past sins. Think of the Volt as aYom Kippur fasting from gasoline for efficiency. I am generally repentant and admit my sins. Now most of the time I'm at the limit, and when I know I'll need the range or have time I'll take side roads to keep it downMy mixed passive agressive style is still overall efficient -i I'm averaging 118 MPGe in EV mode over my lifetime and 105MPGe since Nov 1. (Winter eats more energy).

As in life, there is balance. I could be more efficient by buying an older house near work, and walking/biking, but I don't want to see or hear neighbors so live outside of town.

19. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Bicycles are incredibly efficient - at 30 or so kilocalories per mile (at 20mph) I am getting the equivalent of 1000 mpg. My bike and I together weigh just under 200 pounds.

One of the many amazing things about my PIP (now off the coast of Guatemala), is that it moves its 3000 pound mass more efficiently on a pound for pound basis than my bicycle. And at $10 per pound the PIP is an incredible deal compared to the $200 per pound for my bike.

Enough about this, I am going back to tracking Prius carrying boats. Priuschat is my life right now... Sorry for going so far off topic.

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Your much more efficient than my garmin says I am:D, but if your not carrying all that extra weight around its hard to beat a bike. If I only worked in an office with showers again, I would bike to work and save some time on my exercise.

Now I wish my fuel - food - cost as little as my electricity:) Have fun with your prius and your bike:cool: