1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in Hybrid Update

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Prius Team, Apr 28, 2015.

1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Plugin Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) 7-8 seater with 11 miles EV - 50 mpg. Boom Shakalaka

telmo744 and bisco like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sold? I'll bet a buck not a single one will ever be "sold".

Here's bisco's peeps btw . . . . .

[​IMG]

;)

#42 hill, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    vinnie97, m.wynn, retired4999 and 4 others like this.
  3. Janstheman

Janstheman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No PiP to be found in Indiana. They either sold out or the dealers don't want to deal with them. Plenty of Prii on any dealership in town, around Indianapolis,IN. I hope to see what the Gen 4 will look like, since the lease will be coming up on our TCH. Love that car, like having a Prius on steroids. Smooth, quiet and comfortable with Prius like fuel economy.

4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish you guys sold the PiP in Wisconsin. I really wanted one badly last summer, but ultimately felt shipping it here to a local dealership (and getting no incentives/rebates like other states did), or flying out to a state that sold them, then driving it home, was more hassle than it was worth. Had to settle for a plain ol' regular liftback.

However, my next car WILL have some kind of plug-in capability. Whether it will be the Gen 2 PiP, Volt, Leaf, or Tesla Model 3, will depend largely on if you guys sell the gen 2 PiP nationwide this time around. If it's priced a little higher than the competition, but offers a lot of versatility, such as say, all-wheel drive, that would definitely tip it in the PiP's favor.

I'm tired of fluctuating gas prices, and while I love the prius because it uses so little (so much so I ended up buying two of them, and sold my prius c to my brother), and therefore helps to absorb the "high price shock" more, I'm very eager to see what not using any gas at all to get to work and back will be like.

And no, the Mirai will not be an option for me since I don't live in southern California, or the East Coast for that "gas-free" experience. Nor could I fill it up if I smuggled one here secretly. But I have a garage I can plug an electric vehicle in with.

vinnie97, snead_c and CraigCSJ like this.
  5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I'm puzzled by the corporate speak here. Are you saying that you will have plenty of PiPs because you already have unsold supplies, or did you mean "we are stopping production ... of the current generation of PiP and will have plenty of the next generation PiPs to sell long after that???"

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    toyota-prius-camper-van-side.jpg should fit in this ok

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who's going to buy one, when the have to drive 400 miles to the filling station on a 300 mile tank?

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No I didn't.
    I was saying that those are the features I would like to see delivered and for sale. Most would be in every PIP2, some would only be in the advanced model. Toyota sets the price to be competitive.

Mike

No. I'm asking for the same amount of space in the trunk and for seating.

Mike

#49 3PriusMike, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wish list-

OK for the induction charger on my garage floor it would be nice if it was easy to hook that up to a small solar panel with some batts and then I am charging off-grid free

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. ft3sfty

ft3sfty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For the next Gen Prius or Plug In I would like:

1. Blind spot monitoring cameras (turns on when signaling or manually)
    2. Better GPS navigation. With my 2015 plug in, there's a delay after typing in a letter.
    3. Compatibility with Smart phones (screen mirroring, Android, Apple, Windows mobile Apps). Have smart phone notifications come directly to the screen and ability to reply to texts hands free.
    4. Monitor to show actual current watts/Kilowatts used.
    5. Screen to show actual MPG number like Gen 2 rather than just a bar graph.
    6. TACHOMETER (analog preferred but digital okay). I'm using a ScanGuage E mounted on Steering column for RPM and water Temp.
    7. Backup camera standard. It was cheaper for a GenIII Prius 2 w/back up camera than a Prius C 4 w/backup camera.

On an aside note, the right rear charge port works great for me as I back into parking spots. I like the HVAC system controls much more than GenII touch screen.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    base plug in already comes with reverse cam.

14. ft3sfty

ft3sfty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're right about the plug-in, the back up camera was standard, I was just referring to all new Prius models.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2018 brings the federal mandate that all vehicles provide a backup camera.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Back of the napkin - one or two pv panels into a regulated power supply, that feeds your battery, then from there into a 120v AC inverter, then into the traction pack via your lossy induction power relay, as it feeds the PiP's onboard AC to DC charger . . . .
    Congrats - at the end of a long cloudless summer day, accounting for all the losses - if you're lucky, you might scavenge 1.5kWh's .... or iow, maybe 35¢ of electricity.
    Presuming your battery is high quality - that 35¢ over the next 3 long summer seasons will at least pay for the battery in your system. The rest of the PV goodies all priced out - you can find 'em here;

Grape Solar 200-Watt Off-Grid Solar Panel Kit-GS-200-KIT - The Home Depot

Maybe a half dozen more years to pay that off - 35¢ per day, on those cloudless long sunny days. Yes, you'll have a teeny bit of free charging juice ..... but by then, years down the road, your battery in this money saving venture may need replacing.
    ;)

#56 hill, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    lensovet, wjtracy and rxlawdude like this.
  17. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It already does on all Prius hatchbacks, V's and PIP's. Only the C's don't, but eventually will.

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The current generation of Plug-in Prius is available in : Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington.
    With the new generation and the global platform and all that, perhaps the next generation will be the one that becomes available in all 50 states! Living in Illinois, I certainly know you guys' feeling.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps...

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right and I need the inverter anyways for power failures. Why was bisco laughing?
    I guess we need to know if the induction charger can run off 120v and modified sine wave output.
    I have a couple good panels charging batts now. But I would need more.

Seems to me with cheap gaso (if it stays cheap) I don't feel like I am saving too much with a plug-in unless I can charge off-grid then I am happier to justify a plug-in. Seems to me the induction charger gives a way to have a mini-solar system without doing the whole house like you did, but here I'll have to hide the panels from my Home Owner Assoc. Trying to think maybe I can design shutters with solar panels and the HOA won't know it.

PS- Wow those Grape solar panels look great...on Amazon for $135...that easily powers some projects I have not been able to do so far such as solar power canoe sending juice to the elec motor.

#60 wjtracy, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Robert Holt likes this.