1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in L2 charging current

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pip2012, May 22, 2012.

1. pip2012

pip2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I charge my 2012 PiP from the Toyota supplied 120V charger, I get 0.9KWh reported by the car. This is basically a L1 charger limited to 12A (or at least Toyota says it's limited to 12A). I haven't measured the current from the wall - but if it is truly 12A, then the conversion efficiency would seem to be only about 2/3.

When I charge the same car from an L2 charger (30A capable), the car only reports 1.9KWh charge rate - which is basically double the 120V charge rate. This seems to indicate Toyota is limiting the L2 charger to 12A also even though the charger is capable of 3.3KWh!!!

Anyone know why Toyota limited the charging current for an L2 charger? And, it does seem the manual refers to a 12A charging rate as well.

If it actually allowed 30A, I could fully charge the car in under an hour!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, it was well known before the car was even shipped from the Prius Plug-in website, and in posts on here by myself, that the PiP would not benefit from a 30A L2 EVSE. That's why the Toyota 'endorsed' Leviton L2 EVSE is 16A.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To get the terminology straight, the charger is inside the car. The L1 cord w/the brick (aka charging cord set) and whatever L2 units you used are EVSEs.

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, most likely because the on board charger Toyota went with is only 2KW, not 3.3...
    Typically I see 1.9KW on the PiPs display, if you watch a ChargePoint EVSE carefully, you will see about 2.2KW being drawn.

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes is kind of depressing seeing the Chargepoint charger reporting 2.27Kw on my PiP, while reporting 3.2Kw on the Leaf sitting next to it :(

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For many Leafers, they wish their charger were 6.6 kW instead of 3.3 kW. That's supposed to be coming in the next model year of Leaf.

7. pip2012

pip2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, for any who use chargepoint EVSEs, with the rates per hour, it would seem to make no sense to charge a PiP at one. The equivalent $/gallon would seem to be astronomical! (e.g. 0.25 gallons equivalent per charge -> $4.25/gallon if gasoline, but if $3 minimum per charging session -> $12.75/gallon equivalent gasoline price)....

Seems the only way paying for an EVSE with a PiP makes sense would be if and when they start charging per KWh instead of per time. But then they lose the opportunity cost of another higher current capable vehicle anytime a PiP is using it...

Redpoint5 likes this.
  8. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have charged at Free Chargepoint Stations, and it has worked wonderfully for me :)

9. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, on the east coast the ChargePoint EVSEs are just starting to be deployed, most of the venues have free charging the first 2 years, after that ownership reverts to the venue, and they can set the price... This is for EVSE's that where installed with government/public funding, National Grid applied for the program and installed about 30 sites worth at local restaurants surrounding the suburbs south of Boston.

When/if they start charging to use them, will have to reevaluate based on the cost at that time for gasoline and cost per hour or per KWH or however they set it up.

10. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I noticed today when I was at a BLINK station that the car charged L2 at 1.8-1.9kWh for about an hour. THEN, it dropped to 0.5kWh. At the hour, the charge showed 13.6miles EV. Since the most I've ever seen after a charge was 14.3miles, I decided that half an hour for less than a mile wasn't going to be worth the time spent waiting, so I unplugged and left.

But my real question is… does interrupting a charge before it's 'completed' cause some kind of internal problem later on?

11. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You will be able to tell us....

13. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, but if you charge at a Blink or Chargepoint station, you will receive an email saying that the charge was interrupted. Before you unplug at either of these stations your are suppose to rewave your ID card in front of the sensor, so the system knows not to send you the warning email.

14. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ... at which point my PiP sends me an e-mail message that charging was stopped before complete. This is available on the Advanced and can be configured.

15. pip2012

pip2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok - now I have a potential issue. I've never seen anything more than 12 miles after I charge. One poster says they've seen over 14 miles reported on the car.

What should as the EV range after I charge? 11.6? 12? 14? 15?

What are others seeing?

16. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It all depends upon terrain, speed, and driving style. The car will adjust things up or down based on your actual usage. Also, if you have the A/C or Fan on, it will lower the estimated miles by about 10 percent. I'm getting 10.4 miles typically with the fan/AC on. A lot of my commute is at freeway speeds, or is up a big hill, so I get less estimated range. While I'm not getting as many EV-only miles, my tank MPG' is up significantly from my 2005 Prius (25 to 40 percent increase).

17. CCC

CCC New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Had my PiP for 4 days, and still experimenting with many things. Got over 15 miles on 1 charge: flat local route with lots of traffic lights.

18. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great mileage on a charge. I get anywhere from 13.3-13.8 on a charge. Been very happy with mine. Congrats and enjoy your new car.

19. Tonski

Tonski New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

20. Tonski

Tonski New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have only been seeing avg of 9.8 miles with full charge from my PIP and have. Leviton 240v charger. Took it to dealership and they say they got 11 miles and no diagnostic errors. Sales mgr admits he gets 13.3 avg on his own PIP, but they won't do anything for mine. Dealer claims 11 miles is in the expected range. I don't have ac or lights, etc on when powering up car. Any advice? We just keep getting the run around and they won't agree to replace battery. Sounds like most users are seeing in the 13 mile range for initial charge display. Not sure what to do, but very unhappy.