1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in L2 charging current

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pip2012, May 22, 2012.

1. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I couldn't remember posting this until I backtracked and looked at the date of the original. So it was mere weeks after I took delivery back in May of 2012. In retrospect, I knew NOTHING about the PiP at that time. After 18 months, however, I think I know a little more about the nitty-gritty details occurring behind the scenes.

In the months since the original post, it seems that BLINK engineers got together with the marketing people and pointed out this non-linear rate of charge as well, and now their rate schedule is adjusted accordingly. As a result, for most people, it's worth a few bucks a charge to keep close track of the time you're hooked up, since the battery should reach a reasonable state of charge within one hour at L2. No need to spend the extra dollar for a few extra electrons. I use BLINK more during basketball season, because there are chargers at the university parking structures. The charging spaces are always open. When there are big games, it's much easier to find a parking space. Hidden benefit of PiP ownership.

2. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This free EV charging parking applies as well to an increasing number of Federal public spaces, such as national parks etc. For instance, the ever-crowded Wolf Trap Performance Center, run in Northern Virginia by the National Park Service, has several such usually under-used EV charging parking spots right by the ticket gate :) and I've been to several other national parks this Summer which are installing or will install soon similar set-ups. It's an awesome deal.

3. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    15 summer.. 12.5 winter