1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in Lifetime Charging Stats and EV miles

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PlugmeInplz, Jul 25, 2018.

1. PlugmeInplz

PlugmeInplz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello,

I have had a Prius plug in for a little over a year. I wanted to share the lifetime stats so far with this car. The previous owner plugged in a lot.

EV_________HV________Fuel Saved
    41% 59% 397.8​
    miles 19596 27165 581 gallons burned
    KWH 4116 581 gallons

I am interested what other PIP owners have for their stats. With 4116 KWH put into the battery that is over 1000 cycles and still going strong

I average 13.5 miles per charge or 10.5 with the AC on. I am averaging 300 MPG and I love this car
    I would like to get a Prime in the future but they need to put a 16 KWH battery and a 7.2KW on board charger.

Also I like all the hidden storage spaces and wish the next Gen Prime would add back the above glove box storage and the flying bridge storage space. Also I want 5 seats.

Let me know what your lifetime stats are.

iplug and jerrymildred like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have lifetime for the car, or even for me. When they did the fuse recall, it reset the stats. Since then, it's been:
    41% EV, 59% HV
    4,615 miles EV, 6,634 miles HV
    1,027 kWh and 124 gallons
    Fuel saved, 85.8

So far this tank, it's been:
    59% EV, 41% HV
    408 miles EV, 275 miles HV
    93 kWh, and 4 gallons
    Fuel saved, 7.7 gallons.

So far this tank, I'm averaging 141 mpg. Since I got it in Dec of '16, I've averaged about 88.5 mpg which included a several thousand mile trip to Ohio in early winter last year.

iplug and PlugmeInplz like this.
  3. PlugmeInplz

PlugmeInplz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks to Prius Chat I knew they were going to reset my stats. I even called around, but none of the Shops in LA had an OB2 battery power unit so my stats were also reset. I created a spreadsheet to track my past stats.

4. PlugmeInplz

PlugmeInplz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @jerrymildred Just noticed you have the same car I do. Were PIP bros. How many miles have you racked up so far.

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It turned over 78,000 today. I got it Dec. 26, 1016 with 54,400 and change.

I didn't know the stats would reset since I was one of the first to get the fuse done. Interestingly, the radio and stuff stayed. I also have a spreadsheet that I've kept since I got the car. It also tracks how much gas money I've saved compared to a 28 mpg vehicle. So far, it's $1,229.60. :D

PlugmeInplz likes this.
  6. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1242 miles since they changed my fuse and wiped the stats. It says 81% EV and 19% HV (1011 miles, 232 miles). It also says 209 kwh vs 4 gal., and saved 17.4 gal. It's been 4,069 miles since I bought gas. Down to 2 pips on the gauge right now.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2012, owned since new. 05/19/18:

ev: 66% 38,216 hv: 34% 19,304 fuel saved: 590.9 gallons

kwh: 7,073 gallons: 287

probably well over 2,000 battery cycles, showing 14 miles ev range currently, can do 15 on back roads.
    down about 15% from new.

consumption on the last tank from october 2017 to may 2018 = 300 mpg

you can find all my stats on the pip spreadsheet sticky.

i'm not likely to have the fuse changed.

8. PlugmeInplz

PlugmeInplz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @bisco Wow impressive stats. That is like an entire tanker of fuel saved. Its good to know can double the amount of electricity into my battery and still get 14 miles of EV. The air cooled battery has done really well for minimal degradation. How many EV miles did you get when the PIP was new.

The service letter mentioned drivers going up hill or at full EV throttle had issues. Before the recall I tried gunning it at 62 MPH up hills. No issues. You might not need the fuse.;)

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm fortunate to live within 6 miles of all my regular driving needs. i used to rack up a lot more highway miles when my father was 30-50 miles away, but he is in florida now.

i was getting a little over 16 the first summer on my 14 mile r/t commute. going into that winter i saw it decline but figured the cooler weather, headlights, and etc. but when summer came, it hovered in the 15's. by the second year, it was down to where it is now. seemed to flatten out after that.

iplug and Potorap like this.
  10. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2012 Plug-in Prius
    (original owner)

Lifetime EV:
    21,985 miles
    4934 kWh
    =4.46 miles/kWh

Lifetime HV:
    23,819 miles
    445 gallons
    =53.5 mpg

Lifetime EV ratio:
    48%

12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Question for other Gen 1 Plug-in Prius (PIP) drivers:

How much would going to a Prime or Volt or other PHEV increase your EV ratio based on your driving patterns?

There are several other PHEVs these days and all have more EV range than the PIP - a few for comparison:
    PIP: 4.4 kWh (EPA 11 mile EV range)
    Prius Prime: 8.8 kWh (EPA 25 mile EV range)
    Gen 2 Volt: 18.4 kWh (EPA 53 mile EV range)

In my case, although the Prime and Gen 2 Volt have nearly 2.5x and 5x the EV range, my actual EV ratio would probably only go up in the single digits.

I bought the car in part because my driving patterns were a good fit to the 11 mile PIP EV range - vast majority of <10 mile local commutes between charging mixed with long distance trips that although infrequent, really added up miles.

I am driving a bit further in and around town these days than when I first bought the PIP. But the vast majority of my current HV miles are long distance trips (130-400 miles each way). I never charge en route although often at the destination.

On the plus side, had I a Prime or Volt or other PHEV with longer EV range, I might consolidate more of my errands. Also, if I keep the PIP more than 1-2 more years, some of my EV commuting will be limited by battery degradation.

Certainly many have commutes longer than mine, so not a one size fits all.

Thoughts?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a prime would put me at 99-100% ev, which may be a bad thing.

i like the car, and could have had one for under 20k net last year, but i'm not ready to compromise on the hatch space. i think my next move will be a bev with prius sizing and 100 mile range, since we have the hycam for longer trips.

i only wish toyota were in the game.

Potorap, markabele and iplug like this.
  14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Similar here. For me, the PHEV upgrade exercise is just an entertaining theoretical one. We will probably replace the PIP with a BEV, probably something like a $35k trim Model 3 or Kona EV (200+ mile range).

Agree, once you get used to the hatch/cargo space, dimensions, and accessibility of the PIP, the list of upgrade candidates shrinks.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    haven't seen the kona, at least you have more options in cali. i'm hoping model y will be interesting, or maybe the second gen leaf is big enough. haven't seen one yet. i like the bolt, but the hatch looks small.

16. PlugmeInplz

PlugmeInplz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I considered the Prime when I was shopping. It was just released so the dealer would not budge on the price. On the test drive I liked the performance, but I didn't like the large screen. It was not modern responsive. Seemed like using older ipad with IOS11. A second behind my input.

The Prius Plug-in had more storage. I liked the flying bridge design and the storage space underneath. I liked the mini glovebox. Also the back seats folded flat and it had five seats. Also I looked at the cost of electricity vs gas and realized that there is not a huge difference in LA.

Plus with my commute I would also have a 99% EV ratio. I still am not sure if it is good for a gas engine to not be used everyday. It would start every 124 miles. Lastly the price difference of the used PIP vs Prime meant I would need to drive the car 10 years to make up for the price difference.

Not interested in an electric only at the time. Road tripping and being limited to the plug in range is not feasible for me. I think a plug in hybrid is the best of both worlds. That being said I love my car but wished I had a 16KWH battery and a 7.6KW onboard charge. I would upgrade to that.

Potorap, iplug and bisco like this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I estimate that a Prime would move me from 40-50% EV to around 90% EV. And, since electricity is fairly cheap here, it would save on fuel costs. But, barring any accidents, our next one will be a replacement for my wife's '07 Prius and I don't think she's at all interested in a plug-in. And I'm still undecided myself over whether I'm willing to have another car w/o a spare, plus give up some storage space. 55-60 mpg in the regular hatchback is nothing to sniff at. Hopefully, I have another year to save and think before deciding.

Potorap, bisco and iplug like this.
  18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's a big jump in EV ratio. At ~90% EV, is a BEV out of the question? Maybe take the other vehicle when needed for long trips if charging infrastructure is not great on your route.

In theory you could drive the BEV and she could have your Plug-in Prius. But like you said, if she is not interested in plugging in and the next car is hers...

Potorap likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Completely out of the question. If a car that's not broken won't take me where I want, when I want, then I don't want it.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  20. PlugmeInplz

PlugmeInplz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I am going to keep the PIP for a while until Toyota finally hops into the electric market. I think a leather steering wheel cover and leather set covers are in the future. Maybe a window tint.

I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to a Prime yet. I will wait for Toyota to design a ground up Plug-in Hybrid with the battery mounted in a location that doesn't compromise storage space. Plus in a few years battery technology will be optimal plus we will have data on how batteries perform over the long haul.

Andyprius1, Yea Right and Potorap like this.