1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug-in Lithium Ion Battery Replacement Costs

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Paradox, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I've been wondering what others think the replacement cost may come in at on the Li-Ion battery pack for the Plug-in Prius.

We know this battery is going to be expensive, or at least we should know it is going to cost significantly more to replace than your 'standard' Prius liftback NiMh battery. Looking back to 2001, the Gen I Prius pack cost what, something like $5000 to replace? 10 years later, by the time the Gen III came out replacement costs came down to around $2300.

I know there are numbers floating around the net as to how much each kwh cost to make in these LiIon packs but I'm thinking about replacement costs, not production costs.

So... What all do you think the 'official' replacement cost will come in at for the 2012 PiP battery pack?

2. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My estimation is, that it costs between 3000 - 4000 EUR today and that in 10 years time, you will be able to buy it for 1/2 the price or upgrade it to double the capacity pack (at the same volume) for the same price as today's pack.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The target for lithium has been $450/kWh. Considering when the first warranties will expire and taking into account the overhead of the packaging and support hardware, I'd say under $4,000.

There of course is the optimism of plug-ins really taking hold in the meantime too, possibly driving the price down close to $3,000.

Aging of the pack itself will be harder to nail down than the regular Prius. Temperature will play even more of a role this time and there's many (like me) who will take advantage of opportunity charging while out & about.

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    John, you think at launch the cost of a replacement pack from Toyota would cost under $4000? Just wondering if you think $4k would be their build cost or a persons replacement cost at launch. I was thinking a little more but hey, it's all guesses lol.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have no clue what the launch cost will be. All I know is that Toyota has invested heavily in the battery tech. So at some point prior to replacement actually being needed, that price should be quite realistic. After all, the overall target has been a $3 to $5k premium... which gets a little screwy to calculate, since that's factory include verses stand-alone replacement.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also the "cycle life" of the pack to consider, I don't think the numbers have been released, but for this chemistry it's typically 5,000 cycles. So, it depends on how often you fully charge and discharge the pack as well, to determine how long the pack will last. 1 charge/discharge pet day would be more than 13 years, twice/day about 7 years...

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah, I don't either, just wondering what people 'guess' it'd be. I'm guessing $5000 or just shy of it at launch and for a while after (like maybe until the Gen IV comes out).

8. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's say you are one of the people who claim that they don't ever plan to use any gas (which seems highly unlikely but it might be possible). Suppose they charge four times per day. This would mean, by your previous statement, that they would need a new battery in 3.5 years. They would have only gone 4 x 12 x 365 x 3.5 = 61,320 miles (plus certainly some 'unintentional' gas miles) and their battery would need to be replaced.

Wouldn't Toyota have to honor their battery replacement as being under warranty? How is Toyota protected from this type of customer?

[It won't be me, though, that's for sure... :)]

9. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Charging 4 times/day is very unlikely, as it will take 3 hours @120 per charge, or 1.5 hours @ 240. In the case of "opportunity" charging at 120V, that's 12 hours out of a possible 24, not too likely. In the case of 240v, you would have to have access to 240V EVSEs wherever you where stopped, also not very likely.

Most people who commute, are going to charge the PiP in their own home or garage at either 120 or 240, then drive to work, where they will be for 8-9 hours, some will be lucky enough to be able to get a charge at work. Add in sleeping time, it's hard to get more than 2 full cycles per day.

In other words, don't worry about a situation that's almost impossible... I also didn't mention driving time and traffic, which also eats into your possible 24 hour day as well.

10. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    What characteristics would the typical battery that needs to be replaced (5000+ cycles) have? Could you still get 50% of the original capacity? I wonder if the car would still work well enough to use just not with near the original capacity.

Spending that kind of money on a new battery might be better saved for a new car.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Think about how long a PHV will last, using the traction-motor far more than in the regular Prius. The engine will have a pretty easy life. You should be able to squeeze many more years out of it by popping in a new pack.

12. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The pack might be down to %70-%80, no one really knows. In a pure EV, that would be considered "end of life", in a PHEV, your just going to get fewer electric miles. The pack will have to be replaced when it can't power the electric motor any longer, as the gas engine is not enough for full performance in a Prius.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    My target price of today for the PiP complete battery assembly is $7,000.
    Having in to consideration that everything will be replaced, batteries and internal electronics.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yhea 7000
    4500 in 10 years maybe

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacement cost is anyone's guess. Toyota's price for prius nimh are much higher than production costs. For a good guess, toyota had been saying $1200/kwh in a car, which is higher than everyone else has been talking about. That makes it $5,280. We know ford has bought some of thier batteries for $750/kwh and wsj says the leaf is slightly less. Prices are getting driven down. If toyota is replacing them under warenty in 5 years, I doubt their cost will be more than $3000/4.4kwh pack, but idk what they will charge a customer. Many replacement parts have huge mark ups.

16. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's all I'm looking for, a guess.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $6K is my guesstimate of replacement price before labor, that includes a healthy mark up for toyota and the dealer.

18. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll go out on a limb and call it $10K, 4x the cost of a Gen II battery, even though it is apples (Nimh) vs. oranges (lithium).

19. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's a stupid question that we all know but... Do you all think the 'general public', not enthusiasts, who aren't into the Prius as much as us will know and understand that this pack costs quite a bit more to replace than the standard NiMh pack which has been in use is Prius for many years now?

20. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think that the general public has chosen to give the matter much thought. Most people do not think much beyond next week. To them, there is already too much change. The better to ignore and oppose it.

Well things do change. That is the only thing which we can depend upon. One of these things is that gasoline will get more expensive and eventually beyond the reach of most people (cost wise). Some other form of propulsion will need to replace the ICE. If it is not electricity, with its batteries, it will be something else which will take a whole lot of getting used to.

Most people will not take this step until they must.

1 person likes this.