1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug In Low Resale Value vs. Regular Prius/Prius C

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by sillylilwabbit, Nov 14, 2015.

1. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is an article showing Prius Plug In Price taking the largest dump.

We all know gas prices and new model year is around the corner, but the same could be said about other electric/hybrid vehicles. Nissan Leaf/Honda Insight prices increased.

While searching for a car, I noticed the regular Prius Two has better resale value vs the Prius Plug In. I know the Prius Plug In was overpriced to begin with.

Thoughts anyone, as to why the Prius Plug In price has fallen more rapidly vs others?

[​IMG]

See article: Used-Car Prices Fall to Lowest Point This Year

iPhone ?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The fluctuation from month to month really doesn't tell us much. It's just a statistic to keep the media sources active.

Knowing the new Prius just got revealed and there's a new plug-in model on the way, resale will naturally drop. Lower short & mid term gas prices do make the draw to high-efficiency a tough-sale as well.

It only has meaning if you're about to sell anyway. In that case, finding a buyer on your own may have a better than usual return... since you won't get much as a dealer trade-in... who wouldn't understand the benefit of a plug, but you could demonstrate in detail with a potential buyer.

BobMc989 likes this.
  3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Bring it to CA and get green HOV decals on it. It's worth about $4000 over blue book right now.

Perceived deals using incentives (but on cars that don't exist new anymore) drop the market, but in California, our market is vastly different. Vastly.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  4. BobMc989

BobMc989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed the lower prices as well on the plug in ,however since I was buying used I wanted the most bang for my buck and a low mileage pip, at a lower price than the Prius 2 with more miles on it just seemed like a no brainer to me. Why the prices are lower would be a guess to me as well. I don't get a lot of breaks but after buying my pip , I'm glad the prices are lower for whatever reason.
    Take care Bob

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the PHV have incentives when new? That could be it. Also, people aren't as familiar with the Prius PHV than they are with the regular Prius. They may think "oh I live in an apartment and can't plug in, so I'll look for a regular Prius" or they may not even know it exists or the same problem that plagues a new PiP - I'll spend a bit more and get the Volt.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    state and fed tax credit. other than that, it sold formsrp for quite awhile, $500. off at best in most cases.

then, when gas prices started to dive, it took a huge hit, and people were buying them for as low as $24,000. new. not in cali though. the stickers kept the price up.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible that the fed tax credit hurt resale a bit and locally, state tax credit? I don't think it's the main factor but it the impacts could still be there.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    What I can tell you is that it is hurting many people, I'm included amongst them

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you have to consider how many were sold at heavy discounts for a long period of time. just check the 'what did you pay for your pip' thread.

10. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The plugin with advance tech is even worst...

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ino doubt. the higher the price, the faster the depreciation.