1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Plug IN

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by paul rogers, Mar 8, 2013.

1. paul rogers

paul rogers New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My wife's new plug in keeps tripping the GFCI wall recepticle after a few minutes. Nothing else is plugged in to the recepticle. It's a 20 amp circuit and the GFCI has been tested with a GFCI tester and trips at the proper levels. Ideas?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You need an electrician. Toyota SHOULD have recommended a new dedicated circuit for your garage. Burning down your house trying to 'get by' is not very energy efficient.

Need advice - Outlet caught fire | PriusChat

The "Whats New?' chat is full of stories about a 2004 converted to Plug in that burned down the house in California. I have not kept up but it sounds as if the same guy had an earlier fire and did not learn from it. Let him be YOUR example.

3. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine plug into a shared circuit, and never have any problem. You may need to consult with an electrician.

4. paul rogers

paul rogers New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is a dedicated 20 amp circuit and a properly working GFCI. My point is, has anyone else experienced this when everything at home is wired properly?

5. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you suspect the problem is the charger or the car, you may verify it at another location, a friend's house or at a dealership.

6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP: How old is the GFCI?
    They can/do sometimes go bad with age.... If you're handy, replace it and see what happens.
    FWIW- the PIP's EVSE also has it's own GFCI built in.